AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marantz

Marantz Life Amplified

Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM

i own this player and am enjoying it more each day. Not sure how useful my comments are however because i added it to my system 2 months ago, the same time i added 2 MC9S2 amps, and the SC72 preamp. speakers are B&W800d. At first i noticed a major difference in overall system sound compared to the all Rotel setup with the 800d prior--tighter bass, wonderful clear treble, but a recessed midrange. yes, at high volume the marantz system was much cleaner, much tighter. But the recessed MR was troubling...it was almost like voices were several rows back. So i was thinking of going down a path of some different cables, thinking that would help. But the last couple weeks seem to have much improved the MR, even the treble is more prominent now. I guess it could be breakin, or it could be the music I'm playing..need to do a more careful analysis. In any case, I'm quite pleased with the Marantz electronics. the CD player works flawlessly, even if the tray is a bit slow.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 AM

I have the SA-11S3 on order and it should hopefully be here within a week. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on a good balanced cable that would go well with the ARC LS27. It's the first time I'll be balanced all the way thru. I'm currently using Transparent Musiclink RCAs on a Marantz SA-15S1 and Cardas Neutral Reference RCAs on a Cayin CDT-15A. On one hand I'd like to try the Transparent MusicLink XLRs just to test and satisfy my curosity about the sonic difference between balanced and unbalanced. On the other hand I'm thinking that this CDP deserves a better cable.
I'll post my thoughts on the SA-11S3 when it comes in.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I have the SA-11S3 on order and it should hopefully be here within a week. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on a good balanced cable that would go well with the ARC LS27. It's the first time I'll be balanced all the way thru. I'm currently using Transparent Musiclink RCAs on a Marantz SA-15S1 and Cardas Neutral Reference RCAs on a Cayin CDT-15A. On one hand I'd like to try the Transparent MusicLink XLRs just to test and satisfy my curosity about the sonic difference between balanced and unbalanced. On the other hand I'm thinking that this CDP deserves a better cable.
I'll post my thoughts on the SA-11S3 when it comes in.
Looking forward to your impressions of this player!

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 04-09-2013, 03:40 PM

I apologize for not reporting back earlier but I've been busy lately with non-audio related stuff.
I picked up my new SA-11S3 player late last week and immediately hooked it up with the full intention of (even before break-in) running A/B tests with my current players (SA-15S1 and Cayin CDT-15A) and various cables.
I started out by powering everything up and playing a few cds on the SA-15S1 just to warm up the system. After listening to Norah Jones' Come Away With Me, from start to finish on the SA-15S1, I then moved the disc over to the SA-11S3 and hit play. I somewhat expected an audible difference between the two players but was not prepared for what I heard. The stage just opened up in front of me, every instrument became so distinct, localized and natural sounding. The depth of the soundstage became more solid and real. There was all kinds of detail I had not previously heard. Bass and drums were so much tighter and better defined.
I must've looked a little silly with that grin on my face. At any rate that's where the testing ended (if it had ever really began). I spent the whole weekend spinning disc after disc and just enjoying the new music, not once thinking of listening to either of the old players.
All I can say is that right now I am one happy camper!
Rick
Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Rick.......The new Marantz SA-11S3 is certainly a good looking player. Good to know you are pleased with its performance.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I apologize for not reporting back earlier but I've been busy lately with non-audio related stuff.
I picked up my new SA-11S3 player late last week and immediately hooked it up with the full intention of (even before break-in) running A/B tests with my current players (SA-15S1 and Cayin CDT-15A) and various cables.
I started out by powering everything up and playing a few cds on the SA-15S1 just to warm up the system. After listening to Norah Jones' Come Away With Me, from start to finish on the SA-15S1, I then moved the disc over to the SA-11S3 and hit play. I somewhat expected an audible difference between the two players but was not prepared for what I heard. The stage just opened up in front of me, every instrument became so distinct, localized and natural sounding. The depth of the soundstage became more solid and real. There was all kinds of detail I had not previously heard. Bass and drums were so much tighter and better defined.
I must've looked a little silly with that grin on my face. At any rate that's where the testing ended (if it had ever really began). I spent the whole weekend spinning disc after disc and just enjoying the new music, not once thinking of listening to either of the old players.
All I can say is that right now I am one happy camper!
Rick
Great to hear you're enjoying it. Thanks for reporting back.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 PM

The June issue of The Absolute Sound has a review of the SA11-S3....pretty positive.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmorr View Post
i own this player and am enjoying it more each day. Not sure how useful my comments are however because i added it to my system 2 months ago, the same time i added 2 MC9S2 amps, and the SC72 preamp. speakers are B&W800d. At first i noticed a major difference in overall system sound compared to the all Rotel setup with the 800d prior--tighter bass, wonderful clear treble, but a recessed midrange. yes, at high volume the marantz system was much cleaner, much tighter. But the recessed MR was troubling...it was almost like voices were several rows back. So i was thinking of going down a path of some different cables, thinking that would help. But the last couple weeks seem to have much improved the MR, even the treble is more prominent now. I guess it could be breakin, or it could be the music I'm playing..need to do a more careful analysis. In any case, I'm quite pleased with the Marantz electronics. the CD player works flawlessly, even if the tray is a bit slow.

Sorry to be off topic but your new amps and pre has been discontinued for a while already. May I ask where you bought them?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 AM

Marantz SA11S3 in Black or "Champagne"?

the combo SA11S3 & NA-11S1 a upgrade vs. Bryston Bda&Bdp?

thx style
Old 06-20-2013, 06:14 PM

got the amps and preamp from a Marantz dealer in florida actually, last year, Audio Visions South. I put an wanted ad on audiogon and got a hit immediately. Audio classics also responded with a pair of amps, but went with the florida guys. Got a great price on all of it because they were discontinued, with full warranty.