AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Remote Control

Remote Control Power is Nothing without Control

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Just an FYI - most of my Mc has a jack in the back for RF, so you don't need to stick those small transmitters on front. At least that's the case with my MS300, MX150, MCD871, & MC205.

Maybe not the 205. I think I have that triggered off the MX150. Can't recall.
Wow I guess it helps to read the manual. Looks like I have a project now replacing those annoying IR transmitters and connecting up in the IR input on the back of my Mc's.

Thanks
2CH Room PMC MB2se(2). JL Audio F113(2). McIntosh C1000C/T, MC2301(2). PS Audio Directstream DSD, PowerPlant 20. Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Stradivariv2. Misc: Wireworld Cables and Interconnects. Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS. GIK Acoustics Bass Traps. DIY Computer Audio Transport. Racks. Adona.
TV&Movies PMC EB1i(2), CB1i, OB1i(2). SVS Ultra16(2). McIntosh MC207. Bryston SP4.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post
Wish I had some experience with the Harmony remote but I went with the URC and I am very happy with its use.

Good luck with your decision...
I am almost ready to buy a Harmony 900. Tell us something about the URC, model you have, etc...... Please. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM

Harmony One here and it controls everything I have. I originally purchased an 880 but due to the docking/charging design flaw, after replacing it 3 times I convinced them to just give me the One and they did.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
I am almost ready to buy a Harmony 900. Tell us something about the URC, model you have, etc...... Please. Thanks.
URC's progammimg interface is more diverse with much less of the limitations inherent in the logitec programming.

I think the remotes themselves are more robust (better built) and reliable also.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amherst View Post
URC's progammimg interface is more diverse with much less of the limitations inherent in the logitec programming.

I think the remotes themselves are more robust (better built) and reliable also.
+1

Love my URL MX-980 remote!

Fits in my hand like a glove.
The buttons are big, easy to find and use.
Cool LCD screen to find everything with nice easy to read graphics.
Of course backlit.
Controls all of my lights in the room.
Has marco feature so when you hit the pause button during a movie the lights in the room come on say at 40% or what ever setting you prefer. Like wise when you hit the play button the lights go back down automatically.
Radio freq so you do not need line of site. I really prefer this instead of IR.
Presets for your favorite tv stations with nice LCD graphic for each channel.
Solid and well built construction.

I debated which way to go before I bought a universal remote. I initially wanted a big touch screen remote because I thought it looked cool sitting on its stand in the room. But here is what I found out from the installers which helped me make my decision. Crestron is expensive and is great if you want to control the whole house but over kill for me. I just needed it for HT use. Control 4 is like a more affordable Creston but still more then I needed for just my HT. All of the guys that I talk with who do HT installs preferred a hand held remote compare to a screen like say Ipad, Crestron, C4 etc. Less cool but in my case more practical and easier to use. It fits easy in to your hand and you do not need two hands to operate it. Another words if your walking around with the remote you only need one hand with the buttons at a thumbs reach. Hard buttons were preferred over a touch screen. This is what they told me.

One disadvantage of the MX-980 is that you need to hire a pro to program it. I went with Best Buy and for a couple hundred dollars they set it up. They had to come out to the house several times because they did not set up all of the features. There were some other issues as well but in the end it all worked out and there was no additional cost for the follow up visits.

I highly recommend this remote. I believe Ivan uses them as well. Maybe he will chime in.

Best of luck.

Cheers

URC MX-980 Universal Remote and MRF-350 with Light Control | Home Theater

Last edited by trek737; 01-19-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Learning to Listen

I ended up with the URC MX-780. Like it thus far. Good feel in the hand, although the volume and channel buttons are not that easily found at night. Programming requires a computer, but once you get on to it, it's kind of fun.

The big test will be when Mel gets her hands on it. Will she use it? Stay tuned....!

(edit: got the unit via Ivan. Good service once again!)

Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 PM

-- Mel, is that your cat?