AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-12-2021, 08:17 AM
Retired

Two many output tubes in the DA88S. To my ears, a single pair of output devices, whether tube or solid-state, provides the best sound. The DA50S or I35 would be my first choice with Jadis. For solid-state, the Bryston B60R or Pass Labs INT-25. All use a single pair of tubes or transistors per channel.
The Cary SLI-80 (there are others - not sure about Jadis) allows one to go back & forth with a 'flip of the switch' between triode (Class A operation) and UL (ultralinear - Class A/B operation). To my ears, triode/Class A operation has always won out.
Two output devices doesn't always work, as in the latest VAC integrated amp review. "Damned by faint praise" is what I read.
Too bad the Conrad-Johnson tube integrated amp does not have remote capability. If it did, it would be very high on my list. CJ will also build it as an SE version with teflon caps, etc. Their Classic 62SE (in triode) is one of the best amps I've owned.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-12-2021, 12:51 PM

Thank you Glenn.

I was worried the Jadis D50 might not have enough power to drive the Sabrinas.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:25 PM
Retired

Pehaps metaphacts might chime in on what Wilson thinks about driving the Sabrina's with 30-40wpc of Class A tube power (the general rule-of-thumb is tube power sounds about twice that of solid-state power). Certainly, the largest components in how they will do are how loud you listen and how large your room is.

You might also pull out as many reviews as you can find and see what amps they used. Am sure there are a few that ran them with tubes.

Edit - another tube integrated to check out would be the new BAT VK-80i. While I've never heard one, I've owned their VK-300 tube/solid-state integrated and would not hesitate to own another if I returned to solid-state.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 03-13-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Pehaps metaphacts might chime in on what Wilson thinks about driving the Sabrina's with 30-40wpc of Class A tube power (the general rule-of-thumb is tube power sounds about twice that of solid-state power). Certainly, the largest components in how they will do are how loud you listen and how large your room is.

You might also pull out as many reviews as you can find and see what amps they used. Am sure there are a few that ran them with tubes.

Edit - another tube integrated to check out would be the new BAT VK-80i. While I've never heard one, I've owned their VK-300 tube/solid-state integrated and would not hesitate to own another if I returned to solid-state.
Once we get past the parameters of room size and listening habits, the question is one of drive capability. Power is not the true issue. Though if you want to have the fullest extension and uncompressed dynamic capability of which Sabrina is capable, certainly more power is desirable.

The tough question is how the amp is able to comfortably handle the impedance curve/minimus of the Sabrina. That accounts for the disparity of suitable amps much more than an absolute power figure and/or technology. That said, there are quite a variety of amps that can drive Sabrina well, both push pull tube and solid state.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchoba View Post
Hi,
Thinking of going back to tubes. Can someone suggest an integrated tube amp, budget of $12K USD?
I listen only to digital/streamer, so no DAC nor phono stage please.
thanks
Not integrated, but a McIntosh C22/MC275 combo sounds awesome with Sabrinas, and I think they'd be right at $12K
Old 03-16-2021, 08:38 AM

Thanks to all.
Last question: VAC Sigma 170IQ is now in my sights. Someone mentioned 'Damned by faint praise' revire. All I saw in the Stereophile review was quite good.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:45 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchoba View Post
Thanks to all.
Last question: VAC Sigma 170IQ is now in my sights. Someone mentioned 'Damned by faint praise' revire. All I saw in the Stereophile review was quite good.
We probably should stop hogging this thread as it is drifting away from the Sabrinas (great speakers ).
You might want to re-read the review. Rated at 80wpc and makes 39.6wpc at the normally accepted level of distortion for same. Even at the much higher distortion level it only makes 51.6wpc. Regardless of how tested the 170IQ did not make its stated power. That would not work for me. If the mfgr tells me it makes 80wpc it better make 80wpc.
In addition, the last paragraph by JA states, "....this amplifier will change sonic character with every loudspeaker it is used with." And nowhere in the body or conclusion by JM does she state, ".....highly recommended." For me, damned by faint praise.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:59 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
We probably should stop hogging this thread as it is drifting away from the Sabrinas (great speakers ).
You might want to re-read the review. Rated at 80wpc and makes 39.6wpc at the normally accepted level of distortion for same. Even at the much higher distortion level it only makes 51.6wpc. Regardless of how tested the 170IQ did not make its stated power. That would not work for me. If the mfgr tells me it makes 80wpc it better make 80wpc.
In addition, the last paragraph by JA states, "....this amplifier will change sonic character with every loudspeaker it is used with." And nowhere in the body or conclusion by JM does she state, ".....highly recommended." For me, damned by faint praise.
A little birdie tells me that SabrinaX and the new ARC i50 Integrated is a match made in heaven.

Another one says the same about the match with Sabrina.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Now I understand. I'm going back to SS amp and tube pre. Way out of my comfort zone.
Thanks to all of you for your input .
Old 03-17-2021, 03:05 PM

I know this thread is moving more toward the new SabrinaX, but in December I purchased a pair of Sabrina's and I am loving them. I did get a chance listen to the new SabrinaX back in September and really loved their sound. My dealer put together a system very close to what I had in my room at home so I could make an apples to apples comparison, but ultimately I wasn't ready to spend the money at that point. I moved from the ProAc Response D30r's to the Sabrina and I am not looking back. I did lose a bit of low end bass, but in every other way the Sabrina's are far superior and the final cost of buying the older model made it a very affordable upgrade.
I know someone asked earlier about whether there was any advantage in purchasing the new large diodes and I am curious about this as well. I'm currently using the factory small spikes with Herbies underneath.
Thanks,
Jon