AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 AM

Serge,

There was an article in some audio mag where the maker of the Tri-Planar was discussing how hard it was for him and Graham to produce their tables. The issues involved raw materials and craftsmanship, which of course leads to a bunch of other issues.

Both of these makers do terrific work and it would be a shame to lose this kind of stuff.

Graham's first tonearm design was initially for McIntosh.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 PM
It's All About The Music

I have a Thorens TD126 Mk.III that I picked up about 10 years ago. I started with a Stanton 681EEE-S and moved to an Ortofon Super OM40. Given the relatively small amount of vinyl we listen to, I'm going to stay with the current setup.

Cheers,

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TD126 Mk.III.jpg (64.4 KB, 307 views)
Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I have a Micro Seiki DD-40 manual turntable with the M505 arm. I use two different cartridges, a Shure V15VxMR, and a Signet TK9eA. Both are moving magnet cartridges. It is installed in the studio system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I have a Micro Seiki DD-40 manual turntable with the M505 arm. I use two different cartridges, a Shure V15VxMR, and a Signet TK9eA. Both are moving magnet cartridges. It is installed in the studio system.

Great looking table Dan. Shame they went out of business.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......The Micro Seiki DD-40 is a great turntable, and only in their mid line. There top shelf players still command big bucks, and are awesome. People just don't let go of them. The M505 arm is very nice. It allows me to adjust VTA, tracking force, and anti-skate force, all while playing an album. Truly amazing.

I have heard rumors that Micro Seiki is back in the turntable business.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-10-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Serge.......The Micro Seiki DD-40 is a great turntable, and only in their mid line. There top shelf players still command big bucks, and are awesome. People just don't let go of them. The M505 arm is very nice. It allows me to adjust VTA, tracking force, and anti-skate force, all while playing an album. Truly amazing.

I have heard rumors that Micro Seili is back in the turntable business.
That would be great news. With the resurgence of vinyl, they would probably do well. Did you know vinyl sales doubled for 2008 while CD and downloads went down?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Nice turntable Dan!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Nice table Dan

Interesting Serge, Why do you think LP vinyl sales are up ? I would never have guessed that now that everyone has a ipod or iphone.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
Nice table Dan

Interesting Serge, Why do you think LP vinyl sales are up ? I would never have guessed that now that everyone has a ipod or iphone.
More and more audiophiles are getting into vinyl. Even some non-audiophiles/teenagers are getting into vinyl probably because they think its hip when they see the DJ's scratchin' . With the tables like the budget Rega's, Pro-ject, Music-Hall, etc... it is pretty cheap to get into vinyl. Some of the bigger vinyl labels/factories are scrambling to find more industrial equipment since no one really makes it anymore and they can barely keep up with the demand for vinyl records.

You should get Michael Fremer's new DVD. Good stuff.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 PM

Curious ... vinyl quality

Have you [has anyone] done some critical listening to compare the quality of albums from the 70's and 80's compared to today's pressings?

I realize that it is near to impossible to find a mint condition album from that time period which may prevent any true A/B to be conducted.