AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 03-11-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottikid View Post
I have the Sopra No2’s in a room that 20 x 24. The speakers are on the long wall about 10 feet apart. I play them literally at concert levels and they are simply amazing [emoji6]. The 2’s are more than enough. I suggest you go see the two speakers standing next to each other. The 3’s take up quite a bit more space. You can’t go wrong with either one you choose. Good luck. [emoji106]
Jim
Many thanks! Really not interested in the 3s anyway-- I'd get a little too much heat from Mrs Moonhawk. I probably wouldn't care for the size either. This is our living/kitchen/dining area, and they are in front of large windows with a great view of Santa Fe, The Pecos, and the Jemez mountains where Los Alamos is. Too nice a view to block.

I haven't even heard these speakers yet. They had a pair in Albuquerque at Listen Up, but when I got down there to check them out, they were gone. They had been damaged in shipping, and the insurance company came and took them away before I got there.

Someone apparently ran a fork lift into them.

Anyway, I might have to drive to Denver or Phoenix to hear them. The only other speakers I've auditioned are Magico S3 mkIIs, which were killer, but for the price of them I can get the 3s, the Sopra center, Bipole surrounds, and a pair of Fathom 112s.

Last edited by moonhawk; 03-11-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:51 AM

Well, I drove to Phoenix yesterday (I live the other side of the East Mountains from Albuquerque) and listened to a pair of No2s today. I liked them so well, I bought a pair, and a Sopra center. Drove the center home with me, but had to order the mains.

A big shout out to Dan, Matt, and Liz, the family who run Dedicated Audio in Scottsdale. They made me a great deal, and treated me like Royalty. (Trust me, I'm not.) Could of had a much better deal if I wanted Black, because they had them in stock and at the old price, but Mrs Moonhawk only allowed as how the walnut veneer was "(somewhat) less frightening", so walnut it is.

So, if you're in the market for a pair of No2s, give them a call. They have at least one and maybe more pairs in stock.

Drove home all the rest of the day with the center in the back, through a bit of a winter storm. Always good to get home alive!
Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 AM

Moonhawk,

I ordered a pair of Sopra No2's when they first came out, gently broke them in for the first 200 or so hours.

I was down in my "man cave" about six months later, with an extended listening session, and at that stage in their life, they really seemed to "settle down".

I have had the "hots" to upgrade this, replace that, try the other for the last 4-5 years, but with the Sopra's, no such motivation.

Enjoy your new speakers!
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 03-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Thanks for that. I've heard that before about breaking them in. If i had another amp, I'd leave them shut up in my shop for about two weeks playing. I actually have a small system down there, but it is very low powered, and Focal warns about using under-powered amps.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 PM

Congrats Dave! I agree about the amp concern. I know that John Atkinson mentioned the 3's dropped into the 3-ohm range when he tested them. I run mine off a Parasound A21 without an issue.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMag View Post
Congrats Dave! I agree about the amp concern. I know that John Atkinson mentioned the 3's dropped into the 3-ohm range when he tested them. I run mine off a Parasound A21 without an issue.
Thanks Chris--If you saw my other thread, you'll notice I ended up with a pair of No3s, for the price of 2s. Liking them a lot so far. We're going on a long road trip and I'll leave some music on a repeat loop while we're gone--about 4 weeks. That should break them in pretty well.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:55 PM

Even better!
Old 09-25-2018, 11:44 PM
Retired

Listened to a pair of the No.2s today. Beautiful red and stunning sound. Unfortunately, I listened to a pair of Utopia for about 15min before they moved the leads to the No.2. As good as the Sopra are, never listen to Utopia's first. Focal's finish is about as good as it gets.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 09-26-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:04 PM

I realize that most have never heard the Kanta no.3 but it looks they are priced pretty close to Sopra no.2 .. any thoughts about choosing between these two?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2018, 09:15 PM
Retired

The Sopra No.2 is visually stunning. Plus, you can choose the finish that strikes your fancy. The Kanta choices are pretty blah to my eyes. As for sonics, you'll have to decide which sounds best to your eyes.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag