AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 01-27-2021, 04:15 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Default Question about Audio Impact of Projector Screen

Our basement build is nearly complete! We are having stacked stone on the wall behind the left center and right channels, which should be done in the next few weeks.

Projector screen will be on the wall as well - which will either be my manually rolled up DaLite screen (OK for now), or I've found a nice 120" fixed screen which could work as well.

My key question stems as I use my setup for 50% 2 channel music, and 50% home theater.

Does having a fixed screen centered, behind the main speakers have a negative impact on two channel sound?

If I continue with the roll-up screen, I can roll it up during listening sessions and the rear wall would act as a diffuser with the stacked stone.

Would having a fixed screen be bad for the sound, imaging, sound stage, etc?

I prefer the "look" of the fixed screen, but don't want to do this at the expense of sound quality.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 01-27-2021, 11:01 PM

I am using my system just like you do. I have been asking myself that same question but my screen was there before I got my system up and running so I never experienced without it. I would assume it could impact with back reflections in some sort but there are so many things that can come into play before worrying about this. In my room I don't feel it as detrimental at all. I have a 106" Draper fixed screen as shown in the picture.

However, I tried a credenza for stylin' not long ago which was 24" away from the wall and this had an adverse effect on the sound as the back panel was vibrating and causing bass bloat. I sold it and kept my VTI rack. Eventually I plan to keep the amplifier alone in the middle and move the rack on the side (as shown in the mock up picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9876.jpg (93.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9657.jpg (92.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9805.jpg (90.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-27-2021, 11:11 PM

Also, when I watch TV or movies, my system now images so well that the sound seems to be coming right from the screen :-). The dialogues are well placed with the characters on screen. My speakers are 9' apart and there is no "dead zone" in the stereo image. And I am sure this could even be improved with better speaker placement. I set them there because of space constraints but I would be curious to try to find that sweet spot. I may call on some professionals for that.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:18 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Nice setup Serge!
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW