AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 PM

Default Schubert: The Trout

Late night music...

Schubert: Piano Quintet in A major, D667 'The Trout'
András Schiff (piano)
members of the Hagen Quartet with Alois Posch (double bass)

An odd combination of instruments with a double-bass thrown in for good measure, but this is charming chamber music. I got this in the 1980s and it sounds as fresh as ever (my album cover art is different). The recording is top-notch Decca.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:51 AM

image-3192603091.jpg
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Of possible interest to Bart - and perhaps to others here - is a soon to be released recording of . . . . Carmina Burana performed by Bart's hometown boys (and girls). I just downloaded the music from Presto Classical and I'm listening to it now . . . and find it to be new, fresh, and even more fun than the several earlier recordings that I have of this music.

I think this will be a great recording.

Listening to Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

A Zig Zag Recording - to be released on November 17, 2014 - and ordered this morning by me

Yeree Suh (soprano), Yves Saelens (tenor), Thomas Bauer (baritone)

Anima Eterna Brugge, Collegium vocale gent & Cantate Domino, Jos van Immerseel

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 11-10-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Of possible interest to Bart - and perhaps to others here - is a soon to be released recording of . . . . Carmina Burana performed by Bart's hometown boys (and girls). I just downloaded the music from Presto Classical and I'm listening to it now . . . and find it to be new, fresh, and even more fun than the several earlier recordings that I have of this music.

I think this will be a great recording.

Listening to Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

A Zig Zag Recording - to be released on November 17, 2014 - and ordered this morning by me

Yeree Suh (soprano), Yves Saelens (tenor), Thomas Bauer (baritone)

Anima Eterna Brugge, Collegium vocale gent & Cantate Domino, Jos van Immerseel

This sounds very interesting. Thanks for sharing it, Julian.

From my experience Anima Eterna Brugge and Jos van Immerseel always have a fresh, new perspective about any music they do.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Starting off the work week I'm enjoying some German Baroque music.

Telemann: Tafelmusik (Musique de Table partagée en Trois Productions) performed by Reinhard Goebel's Musica Antiqua Köln

Tafelmusik (table music) is a term used since the mid-16th century for music played at feasts and banquets. The music in this 4-CD set includes late Baroque music styles such as French overtures, dace suites, quartet, concerto, trio and solo sonata. I find it very enjoyable and energetic as performed by the crack Cologne band. The recording is from 1989 on the Archiv label and sounds excellent to my ears.
Playing disc 3 of 4. This is excellent baroque music for any time of the day. Now I just need a banquet and a palace to go along with it.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:37 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Some time ago, a good Audio Aficionado friend, one Dr. Bart, then, as now, a resident of Belgium, sent me a recording, a CD, by a group known as The Arion Trio playing, and being recorded in a church in Kortrijk, Belgium

The group played, on this CD, a selection by Schubert, one by Beethoven and two selections written by the Trio's Cellist - Stefaan Bataille - which were and are gorgeous pieces of music.

Bart, I love the music, the Trio is excellent and the recording is impeccable. Said it once, I'll say it again . . . . Thank You!!!!

I am listening to . . . . Life and Death - The Arion Trio

The Arion Trio, pictured here, sometime later, obviously in New York. (See the big buildings, they don't have those in Kortrijk.)

The guy that wrote the music, the Cellist, is the guy holding the Cello, and if you don't know what the cello is,
it is that great big violin looking thing in the middle, being held by the man with the glasses, who wrote the music.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 11-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Some time ago, a good Audio Aficionado friend, one Dr. Bart, then, as now, a resident of Belgium, sent me a recording, a CD, by a group known as The Arion Trio playing, and being recorded in a church in Kortrijk, Belgium

The group played, on this CD, a selection by Schubert, one by Beethoven and two selections written by the Trio's Cellist - Stefaan Bataille - which were and are gorgeous pieces of music.

Bart, I love the music, the Trio is excellent and the recording is impeccable. Said it once, I'll say it again . . . . Thank You!!!!

I am listening to . . . . Life and Death - The Arion Trio

The Arion Trio, pictured here, sometime later, obviously in New York. (See the big buildings, they don't have those in Kortrijk.)

The guy that wrote the music, the Cellist, is the guy holding the Cello, and if you don't know what the cello is,
it is that great big violin looking thing in the middle, being held by the man with the glasses, who wrote the music.

Ha Julian, yes, Stefaan is a really fine colleague of mine and a good musician.

About the Carmina Burana: when we attended a concert with Jos van Immerseel and his Anima Eterna about a month ago, he was signing CDs that were shown to the world then for the first time.
Thank God this wonderful orchestra still has the funds to keep on functioning!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Life is beautiful

Bach - Concerts avec plusieurs instruments - III
Café Zimmermann

Continuing with the Café Zimmermann box.
I think I wouldn't mind listening to all 6 CDs in 1 go...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-10-2014, 06:10 PM

Default Mozart: Die Zauberflöte

Some opera today...

Mozart: Die Zauberflöte, K620
RIAS Kammerchor & Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, René Jacobs

[ame=http://youtu.be/GkObIajZcTc]The Making of the Magic Flute - YouTube[/ame]

I had an old VPO/Solti version that is very good, but I wanted to experience Jacobs' treatment of this masterpiece. For one thing he includes all the recitatives so the operas spills into a third disc. He favors higher tempos, lots of theatricality and all kinds of sound effects. The result is a very listenable set that is fun all the way through. It does take 2 hrs 47 mins to get through it. The recording is excellent. Takes me back to Vienna where I had the privilege of seeing this opera live at the Wiener Staatsoper. Those were the days...
Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Life is beautiful

^^^^^^ I adore this opera Carlos.

I continue my Bach night.

And I just compared the BWV 1041 (violin concerto) with the following version:

My wife prefers Hahn, it is "lighter", she says.
I find both versions very enjoyable, but for me, Amandine Beyer is the clear winner here: more body, better playing overall, better sound (although it is just a CD!).