AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 08-21-2013, 05:17 PM

3D video pass through mod for the Anthem pre is over $1000.

Sent from my iPod touch using A.Aficionado
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM

And all that does is allow 3D signal to pass through without any of the Anthem's video processing?? Ugh.

I'm hoping the BDP-3 will be able to support pass-through for whatever the next HDMI standard (2.0?) is. Sounds like its a distinct possibility.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Yes, how it should have been in the first place. It is costly because an entire HDMI board gets swapped out. Anthem Marketing dept named it "3D upgrade" LOL. (Note: It was granted free to those who bought their pre-pro recently).

I wouldn't count on it without a hardware upgrade. The chipsets capable of passing 4k (2160p) didn't exist when the SP-3 was designed.

Sent from my iPod touch using A.Aficionado

Last edited by Stefan_DR3; 08-22-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM

the hdmi 1.4 upgrade for the classe sp-800 was $12-1500
Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 AM

Hi I am back. One of the dealer has agreed to lend me his bryston bp 26 to let me have an idea how Sp3 might sound. Would you guys make any comment if sp3 should be equally good as bp 26 for 2 channel listening . As he doesn't have sp3 for audition or home trial so he is going to lend me bp26. Thanks to Paul who sent me this dealer in Melbourne .Good people. Hope they give me Good price as well.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamshed View Post
Hi I am back. One of the dealer has agreed to lend me his bryston bp 26 to let me have an idea how Sp3 might sound. Would you guys make any comment if sp3 should be equally good as bp 26 for 2 channel listening . As he doesn't have sp3 for audition or home trial so he is going to lend me bp26. Thanks to Paul who sent me this dealer in Melbourne .Good people. Hope they give me Good price as well.

See mate I told you. well done pm me if you need
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afblaster View Post
I know $200 won't break the bank, but having spent $10,000 to purchase the SP3 in the first place, I reckon it wouldn't hurt Bryston to provide this upgrade free of charge to their loyal customers.
We bought the unit with well understood capabilities and I have no problem paying for what I consider a very important upgrade. No reason improvements should be free. Plenty of gear far more expensive than this piece don't give upgrades away for free. In fact, who gives anything away for free unless there was an initial problem to be remedied?

So I'm not concerned about $200; I am concerned that "soon" just never seems to arrive.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamshed View Post
Will there be any improvement with sound quality if I replace my anthem MRX 700 as HT processor...
I am just catching up on this thread, so I am not sure if your question was fully addressed. Here are my thoughts.

The SP3 was an upgrade to my venerable Anthem AVM20, which was a piece that was highly regarded by the press and its owners when it was released 10+ years ago. The primary reasons why I upgraded the Anthem was to gain HDMI functionality and the processing of HD multichannel codecs.

I knew to expect at least equal sound quality from the SP3, but I truly was surprised by the very noticeable increase in clarity and the reduction of noise. Two things stood out. First was how good of a job the DAC did on a complex acoustic guitar track that I have. On all but the best systems, the notes are a jumbled mess, because the artist is so quick on the strings. On the SP3, it was clear and musical, which puts the SP3 in the same league as Boulder. Both the analogue and digital sound better than the Anthem.

Secondly was the sound of silence. By that I mean, silent tracks were actually silent. This is true of movies, music, and even streaming radio.

One thing to keep in mind is that I am still using my 10 year old Anthem MCA 50 amp. Granted, this is arguably a great amp. My point being that I only replaced the pre.

I am so impressed by the increased performance of my system by the SP3, that I am even considering a second, two channel Bryston system for my office.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Cardinal

Thanks a lot for your impressions ,very to the point comment.
Now you have made these comments at very right moment as yesterday I got bryston bp 26 to audition at home just to have an idea that how SP3 would sound in my room, keeping in my mind with no room equilisation and I am going to copy paste my first impression which I have sent to my dealer and few friends

Hi just wanted to share my first impression after an hour with bryston bp 26 as I got it loan for 24 hours.

My first impression .
More quiet ;(as Cardinal you remarked sound of silence)
Bit boomy,
Better bass
Better focussing of individual instruments ,but each instrument LESS clear.
More listenable
Don't need subwoofer .(becomes unlistenable unless turn down almost completely my JL audio f113)
Less feel of digitization, more analogue like.but there is less control and only can listen only on low volumes as it gets smudgy and loose the seperation .
There's is a veil of bass??
May be my room !!
May be ARC of anthem was cleaning the background but was adding digital flavor to sound.
Having a professional coming next week to check room acoustics but by the look of it it means anthem ARC is doing a good job!!
Thanks
I am really Confused as it has made me listen tracks which would fatigue me in 30 seconds but at the same time NOT clear.
And I realized my sound stage focus has shifted from middle to slight to the right.
My dealer said keep the sp26 turned on whole night and see how that sounds.
To All the other readers this whole exercise is to have an impression how sp3 would sound in my room with no equilisatiion.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Hmm,I had the 26 and she's not boomy at all,separation is excellent(you can hear each instrument)clear as a bell.
Has to be your room.
I would do acoustic panels(basstraps)for corners and treat first reflections before room correction which I think is a band aid,but some like that just like EQ's and tone controls.