AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 03-04-2020, 02:10 PM

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a new Yggdrasil and it's scheduled to arrive this Friday. I plan to power up continuously and will be reporting back here with my impressions. In addition, I plan to do some A-B comparisons with my McIntosh D100. We have really enjoyed owning and listening to the D100. It's build quality and aesthetics are undeniable and we chose it after owning an Ayre QB-9 but I'm ready for a change and the R-2R architecture has become the logical next step. Stay tuned for more ...
Old 03-04-2020, 02:40 PM

You’ll love the Yggy. Give it at least 48 hours before any serious listening. But it will sound great out of the box. It just gets better with time.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-04-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
You’ll love the Yggy. Give it at least 48 hours before any serious listening. But it will sound great out of the box. It just gets better with time.
Tom
Old 03-09-2020, 04:00 PM

The DAC arrived Friday and I immediately powered it up. I got it in the black finish ... it really looks good and the weight is substantial. I've tried not to make any judgements on sound but my initial impression is that it sounds tinny and forward with a little sibilance to go with it. I'm afraid it's going to require more patience for burn-in. Fingers crossed ... more to come in the next week.
Wes
Old 03-09-2020, 08:26 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
The DAC arrived Friday and I immediately powered it up. I got it in the black finish ... it really looks good and the weight is substantial. I've tried not to make any judgements on sound but my initial impression is that it sounds tinny and forward with a little sibilance to go with it. I'm afraid it's going to require more patience for burn-in. Fingers crossed ... more to come in the next week.
Wes

Did you ever audition the PrimaLuna? I wouldn't worry about the thinness of the Yiggy Dac. Just leave it on 24/7 for a couple weeks and it'll be fine.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Did you ever audition the PrimaLuna? I wouldn't worry about the thinness of the Yiggy Dac. Just leave it on 24/7 for a couple weeks and it'll be fine.
I haven't had the opportunity to hear the Primaluna DAC ... nearest dealer is 2.5 hours away. I've heard people say that the Yggy needs anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks of continuous operation to settle in so I'm fully prepared. At the 100 hour mark last night it has definitely improved but still not there.

If I recall correctly from Dan's review, his was still improving up to 200 hours so I'll wait until that time to A-B with my McIntosh D100. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm really hoping for that lack of glare I've repeatedly read about. That will be the crux of the matter for me. Stay tuned for more to come...
Old 03-11-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
If I recall correctly from Dan's review, his was still improving up to 200 hours so I'll wait until that time to A-B with my McIntosh D100. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm really hoping for that lack of glare I've repeatedly read about. That will be the crux of the matter for me. Stay tuned for more to come...

Typically people say at least 400. Mine kept settling to 1000 in treble, but good by 600.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubla36 View Post
Typically people say at least 400. Mine kept settling to 1000 in treble, but good by 600.
Well, with a 15 day return that is 360 hours so that will just have to do
Old 03-12-2020, 11:38 AM

Hi JWH,

My Yggy has been terrific for (almost) the entire time I've had it, including from the first song I played out of the box. I don't think you're going to hear much change after 100 hours, definitely not enough to go from glaring to terrific.

But I did have one short period of sound that I thought of as harsh or brittle, perhaps identical to your glaring. When I upgraded my server, I tried several different cables. One of the cables, a Goldmund, was quite unpleasant. Ironically, this was the most expensive cable I tried. I ended up with a Nordost Blue Heaven S/PDIF that I think cost $300. So before you send back the Yggy, I recommend trying a few different cables. If you have a regular dealer, I'd ask to borrow 3 of his recommendations. If not, I'd go to the Blockbuster Magnolia section and pick up an Audioquest that suits your budget.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Hi JWH,

My Yggy has been terrific for (almost) the entire time I've had it, including from the first song I played out of the box. I don't think you're going to hear much change after 100 hours, definitely not enough to go from glaring to terrific.

But I did have one short period of sound that I thought of as harsh or brittle, perhaps identical to your glaring. When I upgraded my server, I tried several different cables. One of the cables, a Goldmund, was quite unpleasant. Ironically, this was the most expensive cable I tried. I ended up with a Nordost Blue Heaven S/PDIF that I think cost $300. So before you send back the Yggy, I recommend trying a few different cables. If you have a regular dealer, I'd ask to borrow 3 of his recommendations. If not, I'd go to the Blockbuster Magnolia section and pick up an Audioquest that suits your budget.

Good luck!
Thanks Peter, I have been using the USB & SPDIF so I'm not sure that cables are the issue. I plan to do some tinkering this weekend before I do any critical comparisons.

I have read that Zu Audio recommend an extensive "warm-up" period even for their speakers (cross over networks are electrical circuits). They noted that shipping during winter months can effect this period as well.

My particular unit shipped UPS Ground from CA to SC so it spent almost a week on the road and, presumably, in some cold weather. Significant? I don't know but the range of experiences and opinions on how long it takes the Yggy to settle in are diverse.