AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 03-26-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
In isolated spaces away from the central plant the use of mini-split A/C is the foolproof way to maintain constant temperature and humidity. Noise on some units is below 30 dBa.
Tom, I agree that a split mini would have offered an excellent solution to my problem. However, I have a beautiful new conventional split system 3 ton heat pump. Although I like the concept of the ductless system just fine, it's too late for me and I probably would have chosen the duct system anyway.

In addition, although I know these systems are very efficient we still have some really cold snaps and I don't know if a pure heat pump without electric heating strips could do the job in a freeze we had a little while ago.

I can already tell a significant difference in the operation of my 3 ton. The air flow is much better and quieter. Also the unit seems to be running less. Looking forward to the all new duct work system in the main house. It's been a long time coming to get the house modernized. It's a complete redo beginning with a new gas line to the 5 ton and new larger opening from the house into the 5 ton and the correct sizing of the new duct work all the way to the extreme east end of the house, about 100 feet.

Best

Charles

p.s. I have a 2.5 ton for the MB suite also with new duct work. I'm listening through my XVX. The sound is sublime.

Last edited by Charles; 03-26-2021 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:51 AM

Excellent! If you’ve got the capacity and your conventional system is serving you well, definitely stick with it. Finding an HVAC tech that knows proper sizing and duct design makes all the difference.

FYI, the new Gen low ambient mini-splits will work down to -5 F, so apart from far northern climes they are a good option.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-04-2021, 01:18 AM

New Mac SACD/CD transport.

Best

Charles

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

Last edited by Charles; 07-04-2021 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:32 PM
Penuriophile

NICE!!
Old 07-05-2021, 08:51 PM

Congratulations Charles!
Old 07-06-2021, 04:45 PM

Nice!
I like it!
CD is still going strong. Many new DAC's, NAS and streamers everywhere.
Ask your selfe - Are the new streamers and high resolution digital format's so much better than CD? It's not very clear.
CD can still be very good, reliable, bullet proof technique and a High-End transport is doing it better. It makes a difference.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:24 PM

Thanks to all. Carl, you should hear this transport. It's truly excellent. Very transparent and just easy to listen to. I think the Dragon cord WEL IC Niagara 7000 and Wilson Pedestals very significantly add to the performance. But I really like this gear. Best Charles

p.s. To each his own but I can't imagine being without a transport to play SACD/CD. I can't deal with vinyl. Way too much hassle. Not saying it doesn't sound superb. It does I am sure but so does properly executed CD. If I had harshness or grain it would be different. Violins on my system are without digital artifact.

Last edited by Charles; 07-07-2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
... To each his own but I can't imagine being without a transport to play SACD/CD. I can't deal with vinyl. Way too much hassle. Not saying it doesn't sound superb. It does I am sure but so does properly executed CD ...
I don't mind attending to LP but I agree with you about maintaining a CD/SACD transport. It's just so easy to slip in a disc and enjoy.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I don't mind attending to LP but I agree with you about maintaining a CD/SACD transport. It's just so easy to slip in a disc and enjoy.
Cleeds, you have a really nice system. I agree with you. I abandoned vinyl years ago and have never given it a second thought. But I respect folks who have the patience for it. I particularly like live performances and have a MVP 901 coming in if it ever arrives. I kept my MVP 881 for 10 years. Ditto for my MCD1100. They were excellent pieces, but if I was ever going to update, now was the time. From all I can read, it is also a fine piece. The BR disc "Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers Featuring Edie Brickell" is arriving tomorrow. It will first be played on my 901 through my new AQ WEL coaxial digital cable. I have come to the conclusion that digital coaxial is superior to optical. I can't believe the cost of WEL Signature. It's ridiculous.

Best,

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 07-08-2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:51 PM

Charles, did you ever get your Wilson spikes put on yet? Mine are ordered.