AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 02-15-2022, 12:27 AM

Just joined this site. I had a pair of Legacy Audio Valors installed last month and am now in the process of trying to get the best out of them.

The install came with a new firmware release. I must admit that I did not like it compared to the firmware I heard back in September at the factory. I communicated this to Bill, who forwarded my message to Bernt. It looks like they will have a new release in a couple of months time which will support both Omnio modes. The new mode feels to have more weight, but the old firmware has more space, and I much prefer the space aspect. In the mean time, they sent me another Wavelet 2, but with the old firmware.

I have been doing a fair amount of research online for ideas to try, but it is not easy to find, given that there are only 30 Valor owners in the world. I found a suggestion regarding adding coasters under the rear feet to tilt the speaker forward so that the concentric driver points more directly at the listening (in the vertical plane). I must admit that I liked the result of doing this.

I have seen posts talking about replacing the switched mode power supply with the HDPlex Linear Power Supply. It seems that they are out of stock. I am therefore going to see if the Plixir Elite BDC would work. However, it is unclear to me what umbilical. Does anyone know what the pin configuration needs to be? This PSU can be configured with 2, 4, and 6 AMP configurations. Does anyone know what current would be enough? What changes have people noticed to the sound quality when switching the factory PSU with a Linear PSU? Right now, I have the factory PSU plugged into a PS Audio Power Regenerator.

I am using a Lumin U1 streamer, and am currently trying out different USB cables. I tried the Shunyata Omega cables. Very detailed, but I think I got listening fatigue. Will be trying out the Purist Audio Design 30th Anniversary USB (which arrives tomorrow). It's supposed to be much darker. Any suggestions for other USB cables to try out?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:59 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

MatthewB… Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-15-2022, 09:43 PM

Matthew congratulations on the new Valor’s. I have a wavelet 2 on order for my Aeris so I’ll be following your thoughts. I can’t comment on the new vs old firmware but I have a question about changing the angle? Did you run the setup sweeps after changing the angle?
Old 02-15-2022, 10:30 PM

Hello Matthew, welcome to AA and congratulations on your new pair of Valor!
I've had mine since June 2020.

I love the new Wavelet 2's musicality and tonality, yet the SUT (Omnio) mode did change and I prefer a blend of v1 and v2 Omnio taking the strong points of each. I have given detailed feedback as well.

If you search for Wavelet here on AA, you will find all the answers to the questions you've posed or nearly so...

"FYI...found an email from 2015 when I was first shopping around with Swagman Labs, Uptone, Pardo, HDPlex and others for someone willing to build a suitable power supply. This quote is from Bill at Legacy:

'The universal power supply unit we provide with Wavelet is rated 12 VDC, 5.0Amp, 65 watts'

If you are looking for a regulated power supply in external chassis, the Wavelet requires 12-13.8 Volts DC, the 13.x V number being boundary testing, 60 watts minimum."
Old 02-15-2022, 10:42 PM

More detail:

The DC umbilical from an LPSU needs to take your LPSU's output pin spec and plug type into consideration however the input to Wavelet is always 5-pin XLR known as XLR5.

For an HDPLEX 300W LPSU which I highly recommend and personally use:

(Source Output) HDPlex LPSU Out: XLR3 3pin XLR FEMALE plug on cable, pin-2 is +VDC, pin-1 is GND, pin-3 is unused

(Destination Input): Legacy Audio Wavelet In: XLR5 5-pin XLR FEMALE plug on cable, pin-5 is +VDC, pin-3 is GND, other pins (1,2,4) are unused

So we have Pin-2 on XLR3 FEMALE at source going to Pin-5 on XLR5 FEMALE at destination for +VDC, Pin-1 on XLR3 source going to Pin-3 on XLR5 for GND

*Know your LPSU and what connector it uses and ask the manufacturer the pin-out mapping so that you can determine a source LPSU -> Wavelet cable spec like the one above.

In the case of my setup, I have two different DC umbilicals for historical reasons, both of extreme quality:

- Revelation Audio Labs DC CryoSilver Reference Umbilical

- Ghent Audio: “Custom DC-7N16C Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper G DC(JSSG360) Cable Length: 3m, XLR female(3pin XLR3) to XLR female(5pin, XLR5)

Hope this helps.

My advice is LPSU straight to the wall and use an Shunyata Omega QR-s, OR using a Shunyata Alpha NR v2 or Sigma NR v2 either straight to the wall or into something like a Shunyata Triton v3 or Denali 6000 v2 or Everest.

Any other high quality power cord or conditioner can also be used.

HDPLEX frequently go out and then back into stock as they are one of the best and most popular out there...

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 02-15-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:46 PM

As soon as you can, get an LPSU in there that supplies the necessary volts and amps and put the "wall wart" that comes with Wavelet back in the box. The sonic result is worth the extra expense of upgrading to an LPSU and better umbilical.

I've had 3 Legacy setups that used Wavelet going back years; with each one I have ordered an HDPLEX LPSU and umbilical. The result is always the same; the wall wart is sonically "not good" and I'm being kind.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 02-15-2022 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:30 PM

Hi Rick U,

When I got my Aeris with Wavelet 1 several years ago, I didn't dare touch the calibration in case I broke something (after it was installed). I did play around with the toe-in to find what I liked the best. I used the Letter track of the Wanderer album by Yosi Horikawa, where I would try to have a constant speed motion of the pencil on paper moving left to right in the sound stage. I found that my preference for toe-in for the Aeris was less than for the Valor. I also moved the Valors out to 10 feet apart, versus the Aeris that was 9 feet apart. My Aeris was configured to be fully active with 3 pairs of XLR cables from the Wavelet.

When Legacy Audio sent me the second Wavelet 2 (with old firmware), I knew that I would have to go through the calibration process, so read the manual. Given that the process is so easy (position the microphone, press the capture button, do the same for the right speaker, upload to server), I pretty much re-calibrate every time I moved the speaker or change the toe-in angle.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:46 PM

Hi SCAudiophile,

Thank you for your responses. I did a search and found your answers, then noticed that you reposted them back here. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised to discover that only 2 of the pins are actually used. That makes things much simpler. Having clear current requirements certainly helps. These power supplies seem so cheap compare to other things, that it seems like a no-brainer to upgrade.

My Valors are currently set up as full internal active, with a switch to allow me to connect an external power amp for the treble section. I may try out a valve amp down the road. The use case that I gave to Brice at Legacy Audio was that since I use my system at least 6 hours a day (with a large part spent on Netflix) and tube amps getting hot, my idea was to stay in full active, until I wanted to specifically listen to music. I would then flip the switches (output from Wavelet, power amp switch, input to Valor). Brice mentioned that I would not need to redo the room correction calibration, assuming the power amp gains remain roughly the same. Have you tried out a tube amp for the treble section?
Old 02-16-2022, 12:14 AM

Rick and SCAudiophile,

I should probably clarify my statement regarding old and new firmware. The firmware update was made after September, when I heard the demo. Both these firmware versions were specific to the Wavelet 2. They apply different SUT processing, so would not be applicable to the Aeris.

SCAudiophile - While I did see posts comparing Wavelet 1 and Wavelet 2, I did not see any posts which compared the 2 versions of SUT for the Wavelet 2.

I will say that both firmware versions did not sound like what I heard at the factory. I think that they may have been experimenting with the setup at the time. While I was listening to it, Bill kept on trying to adjust the settings, and finally gave up when things didn't change. He probably felt that something was really off and wanted to correct it. At the factory, I noticed that when I moved my head to the right of the sofa, the sound changed dramatically to a loud hiss. I do not get this at home. When listening to a track by Sting at the factory, the music surrounding the singer felt like mist, and with the textural density of mist. It was like String was wading through a bayou, where the mist was just on the surface of the water, swirling around him. I had never heard anything like this before. It was quite magical. There were also other aspects for other tracks. It was like my memories were being pulled to the surface, and I was getting a visual sense of things (a bit like how the spell of a rose would bring up an emotional memory). There was no way that the musicians who mixed this would ever have experience it. I am kind of wondering how to replicate it. I have very good acoustics for my room. When Bill and Brice did the calibration, there was no EQ modification. Only processing in the time domain. I am kind of wondering if I need to start putting sound reflectors at the sides, and something which is the opposite of what is normally desired. I have sent an email to Bill asking what was happening at the time. It looks like they are extremely busy, so don't know when I will get a response. What this tells me is that really magical things are possible with the SUT drive array and processing. Having you had something similar happen? If so, what did you do to get this?
Old 02-16-2022, 04:36 AM

One thing I must admit is that it has been a lot harder to dial in the Valors to my room than the Aeris. The Aeris were dialed in perfectly where things just resonated. The various instruments had specific spatial volumes to them, with well defined edges. The toe-in was such that if I moved it by a couple of degrees, things sounded off, but when I move it back, it sounded fantastic. I am still struggling to duplicate this level of definition with the Valors.