AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
The L2 does this thing where it really spaces out musical events in the soundstage. As such stuff like pizzicatos aren't masked as much by louder instruments. While it is fairly neutral I think it still has a touch of sweetness to it compared with say the VTL 7.5 of my brother which we compared in my system. It's top end is definitely more extended and pure than the LL2. What the LL2 has on the other hand is a more classic fullness to the lower midrange which depending on tubes used, in my case all Mullards, bordering on Octal type tone. While less bloomy than the LL2 the L2 has superior pitch definition all the way down.

There's one thing you might find disconcerting at first when you get your L2. With the LL2, I never got past 12 o'clock before stuff started falling off the shelves. 10 o'clock was plenty for even the most irresponsible listening. With the L2 I found myself at the 10 o' clock position for easy listening and had it cranked to about 1:30 for said episodes of madness. I asked Vladimir about it and he said he chose stepped attenuators for the L2 Reference that would allow for smaller increments between notches. This moved unity gain to about the 3 o'clock position. It felt weird looking at the dual knobs at first but I got used to it eventually.

Another thing is tube rolling. My experience as well as a few other L2 owners I've chatted with is that stock tubes work best.

As far as racks go. It's a dual mono design split right down the middle. In that middle is the DC umbilical. I would suggest an open rear (4 legged) rack. I use a Critical Mass PXK which has three legs and it can be a tight squeeze back there when setting up or tearing down.
Thanks. This is REALLY good info. I can't wait to add one to the system.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 AM
MrAcoustat

My friend Elrocco as tried - Nirvana - Siltech - Stealth - but finaly settled on Purist Audio Design for him 38k is reasonable for good cables ( he can afford it ) then why not, his system.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 12-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 PM

Interesting posts..........for what it's worth I have an LL2 Deluxe,L2 Reference and ML2s. My experience back to about 2004 ties in with some of the above......had tube rolling success with the LL2 (Genalex Gold Lions with EAT Cool Dampers), but with L2/ML2 have maintained stock tubes from Lamm as the preferred option. Also prefer the L2 for the same reasons given by previous posters, notwithstanding I think that the LL2 is amazing value and one of my best ever buys.

As regards power cords I have used Shunyata Anacondas throughout from the outset with Hydra 8 then V- Ray and now Triton/Typhon. Use 1m Anaconda Alpha between the latter. Only had the Typhon for about two weeks along with the new SSF. A 20 amp Zitron Anaconda hopefully arrives tomorrow to feed the Triton.........so a bit of a transition period for me for a while. Spoke to Vladimir Lamm some time ago regarding the use of Hydras bearing in mind the note in the manuals on the high quality transformers and he stands by his experience on this.........I find their use is significant and would not wish to be without them. Interconnects are Stealth Sakra.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smp View Post
Interesting posts..........for what it's worth I have an LL2 Deluxe,L2 Reference and ML2s. My experience back to about 2004 ties in with some of the above......had tube rolling success with the LL2 (Genalex Gold Lions with EAT Cool Dampers), but with L2/ML2 have maintained stock tubes from Lamm as the preferred option. Also prefer the L2 for the same reasons given by previous posters, notwithstanding I think that the LL2 is amazing value and one of my best ever buys.

As regards power cords I have used Shunyata Anacondas throughout from the outset with Hydra 8 then V- Ray and now Triton/Typhon. Use 1m Anaconda Alpha between the latter. Only had the Typhon for about two weeks along with the new SSF. A 20 amp Zitron Anaconda hopefully arrives tomorrow to feed the Triton.........so a bit of a transition period for me for a while. Spoke to Vladimir Lamm some time ago regarding the use of Hydras bearing in mind the note in the manuals on the high quality transformers and he stands by his experience on this.........I find their use is significant and would not wish to be without them. Interconnects are Stealth Sakra.
Thanks for the post. What are your impressions of the Zitron cables?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:38 AM

I am still living with the single Zitron Anaconda and am enjoying my listening immensely - gains for me were mainly in dynamics, but I feel there is hopefully more to come.........I added the Zitron at about the same time as the Typhon so I'm not entirely sure of the nature of the contribution of each piece - I'll just let it (hopefully) develop................and I would guess more Zitrons will probably be on the cards..........
Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smp View Post
I am still living with the single Zitron Anaconda and am enjoying my listening immensely - gains for me were mainly in dynamics, but I feel there is hopefully more to come.........I added the Zitron at about the same time as the Typhon so I'm not entirely sure of the nature of the contribution of each piece - I'll just let it (hopefully) develop................and I would guess more Zitrons will probably be on the cards..........
Keep me posted, pls.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Fellow Lamm-ers, have any of you had any experience with LessLoss power cables with Lamm equipment?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Energize

Hi,
i am Ralph a new member and will get new Lamm 1.2 Ref Monos soon. Can+t wait to get them.
According to power Cords i had good results with Echole and The Essence Ref II but of course cannot say how they work with Lamm M1.2.
Dear Lamm users you are welcome to email me!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Energize

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Fellow Lamm-ers, have any of you had any experience with LessLoss power cables with Lamm equipment?
Hi,
i do have some older (4yearsold) Lessloss powercords, when i get my Lamm M1.2´s i can try them after burn in and let you know.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Señor Member

Ralph, I haven't tried the Echole, but have also had good luck with the ESP Essence Ref I and Ref II power cords with the Lamm M1.2s. The ESPs are hard to beat. Also, the stock power cord is ridiculously good and will embarrass some of the big name/high dollar stuff out there.