AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Default BDP-1 Unsupported FS and other error messages

Pretty new at this digital audio thing. When it works it is tremendous. Getting there is challenging. I have a BDP-1 and BDA-1 with a B135. Using mac itunes and audirvana through usb in the bda sounds great playing ALAC files.

Then, I tried to utilize the ads/ebu function by buying a WD 1TB Passport as recommended and converted all 1300 files to AIFF. Then loaded them on teh Passport.
I then assumed I could simply plug the Passport into the USB on the rear of the BDP-1 and it would load and play. I am now receiving Unsupported FS messages and went into teh Passport and cleaned out m4a files that mistakenly made their way in there. Now they are all AIFF files and still will not load. I also receive other error messages after leaving it plugged in after the initialization and the attempted load. I have tried rebooting and sequential change of plugging in USB (ie before powering on and then after as well).

I have serial number 803 and never upgraded the software...what version is current?

Also did i need to format the Passport drive before loading? If so can I do this now witout removing the files and reloading them?

Any help appreciated. Thanks tony
Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawks6 View Post
Pretty new at this digital audio thing. When it works it is tremendous. Getting there is challenging. I have a BDP-1 and BDA-1 with a B135. Using mac itunes and audirvana through usb in the bda sounds great playing ALAC files.

Then, I tried to utilize the ads/ebu function by buying a WD 1TB Passport as recommended and converted all 1300 files to AIFF. Then loaded them on teh Passport.
I then assumed I could simply plug the Passport into the USB on the rear of the BDP-1 and it would load and play. I am now receiving Unsupported FS messages and went into teh Passport and cleaned out m4a files that mistakenly made their way in there. Now they are all AIFF files and still will not load. I also receive other error messages after leaving it plugged in after the initialization and the attempted load. I have tried rebooting and sequential change of plugging in USB (ie before powering on and then after as well).

I have serial number 803 and never upgraded the software...what version is current?

Also did i need to format the Passport drive before loading? If so can I do this now witout removing the files and reloading them?

Any help appreciated. Thanks tony
Hi Tony

What format did you use on the WD - it has to be FAT32 or NTSF. Unsupported probable means you formatted the drive using a MAC and HFS formatting.
You can not format without losing the files.

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 11-24-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 PM

this is greek to me James. My apologies...I will go into drive now and check it out...can i simply reformat with everything loaded or do i have to wipe the drive clean and reformat and load? thanks for teh quick reply.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
this is greek to me James. My apologies...I will go into drive now and check it out...can i simply reformat with everything loaded or do i have to wipe the drive clean and reformat and load? thanks for teh quick reply.
Are you using a MAC or a PC?

If a MAC format the drive with --- MS-DOS (FAT32) - it is in the Disc Utility options (Erase) for formatting.

If a PC use NTFS

Most thumdrives come formatted FAT32 because they are compatable on MAC and PC. Most larger drives come formatted NTFS. If you buy from a MAC store though it is usually HFS+ and is propriatary

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 11-24-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:47 PM

using a MAC. Sounds like it will erase everything??
Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 PM

I'm in the same boat. Initially I would get error 09/216 when trying to restart and then error 05/220 when trying to refresh local cache. Several reboots and reset to factory attempts finally got me going but now she's dead in the water - stuck on "restarting".

It really is a great component when it works, but this is getting frustrating.
Some assistance would be great.

Andy
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
using a MAC. Sounds like it will erase everything??
Yea, reformatting with erase everything.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfurt View Post
I'm in the same boat. Initially I would get error 09/216 when trying to restart and then error 05/220 when trying to refresh local cache. Several reboots and reset to factory attempts finally got me going but now she's dead in the water - stuck on "restarting".

It really is a great component when it works, but this is getting frustrating.
Some assistance would be great.

Andy
Andy give Chris Rice a call at Bryston on Monday - 1-800-632-8217

james
Old 11-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Thanks James, I'll give him a ring.

Andy
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM

erfurt, I think the "FS" referred to in the error message means "File System." As others here have pointed out, there are choices of file systems for hard drives. I too am a Mac user and reformatted a passport drive to use the Mac file system, but I did that knowing I was going to use it only on a Mac.

Yes a re-format will wipe everything out.

You can confirm the type of file system with the Mac OS program "Disk Utility" found in the applications folder on your Mac. Connect the Passport to the Mac, start up Disk Utility and choose the Passport drive on the left side. Look for status information on the bottom of the Disk Utility window...if you see things like "Apple Partition Scheme" and / or "Mac OS Extended" rather than "MS DOS", "FAT..." etc, it is formatted for Apple.

I have another thought. Just buy another Passport from, say, Costco or a non-apple store, and copy your music onto it after verifying it has the correct FS type on it. I mean, you're going to have to copy the music if you reformat the drive anyway...And then on your existing drive, simply delete the files and use it for, say, Time Capsule backups, iPhoto, or anything else that's Mac specific.

If you do go the reformat route, be very very careful and confirm that you've chosen the correct drive - the passport - and not the internal drive on the Mac. That would be very, very, bad.

My .02