AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-03-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
My suggestion would be to find a close-out deal on a C1100. I recently replaced my C2300 with a C1100. A noticeable improvement over an already fine tube preamp.
Intriguing suggestion and worth consideration, but the C1100 does not have tone controls which are important to many. By the way and just for the sake of thinking, the C2700 is decidedly better than the C2300 as well as the C2500 due the major changes in topology and circuitry. YMMV.

Respectfully,

Bob
__________________________________________________ ___________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:17 PM

Great info. Thanks Bob!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-03-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
Intriguing suggestion and worth consideration, but the C1100 does not have tone controls which are important to many. By the way and just for the sake of thinking, the C2700 is decidedly better than the C2300 as well as the C2500 due the major changes in topology and circuitry. YMMV.

Respectfully,

Bob
__________________________________________________ ___________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Ever43, again, I think Bob's suggestions are most appropriate. The C1100 is a reference grade pre fully balanced from input to output with dual power supplies. Tone controls are imposible in such an arrangement. It is dual chassis. The D1100 is also fully balanced with dual power supplies. I hope that Mac never stops making this type pre.

Having said this, is this the pre you are looking for? Do you have reference level gear or plan to in the near future? If not folks suggesting the C1100 are suggesting a piece out of place in your system.

When you examine Bob's system carefully you will discover gear that is of an extremely high level and the 2700 is commensurate with the remainder of his gear. The 2700 will serve you well for years. Add an external DAC of your liking.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 05-04-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ever43, again, I think Bob's suggestions are most appropriate. The C1100 is a reference grade pre fully balanced from input to output with dual power supplies. Tone controls are imposible in such an arrangement. It is dual chassis. The D1100 is also fully balanced with dual power supplies. I hope that Mac never stops making this type pre.

Having said this, is this the pre you are looking for? Do you have reference level gear or plan to in the near future? If not folks suggesting the C1100 are suggesting a piece out of place in your system.

When you examine Bob's system carefully you will discover gear that is of an extremely high level and the 2700 is commensurate with the remainder of his gear. The 2700 will serve you well for years. Add an external DAC of your liking.

Best

Charles
At the moment:
(was) MX122
C2500
MC452
MC207
MC205
MCD301
Oppo 205
Bluesound Node

B&W 802 D3, HTM1 D3, SCMS, 805 D3, Cinema 7 ( pair in ceiling).

I would love te D1100, but with 3 little ones under 8, it's going to be several years. So, as I was typing, this popped ito my head: What about adding the Anthem 70 for processing and then finding a noon digital tube pre from Mac and go ouboard DAC?
Old 05-05-2022, 09:58 AM

You will love the Anthem 70. You have to be patient with it during the setup, but the reward will be amazing sound.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever43 View Post
At the moment:
(was) MX122
C2500
MC452
MC207
MC205
MCD301
Oppo 205
Bluesound Node

B&W 802 D3, HTM1 D3, SCMS, 805 D3, Cinema 7 ( pair in ceiling).

I would love te D1100, but with 3 little ones under 8, it's going to be several years. So, as I was typing, this popped ito my head: What about adding the Anthem 70 for processing and then finding a noon digital tube pre from Mac and go ouboard DAC?
Then the C22 might be your answer, I love mine.
Preamp: McIntosh C22 Mk V (Gold Lion Tubes)
DAC/CD/SACD: McIntosh MCD12000
Streaming Source: Aurender N10; UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch; AfterDark Project Clayx Giesemann OCXO 10MHz Reference Queen Master Clock w/ Black Modernize LPS x 2 Giesemann OCXO 10M Edition
Speakers: Canton Reference 3K
Power: 2x Dedicated 20 Amp Breakers + Whole House Surge Protection
Power Outlets: PS Audio Power Ports
Power Resonators: ADD-Powr Sorcer x4 (at service panel); ADD-Powr Wizard; ADD-Powr eau2; ADD-Powr Symphony (in network closet)
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta v2 XC (Denali v2 to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom NR v10 (Amp to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 NR (Preamp to Denali v2); Shunyata Alpha v2 NR (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Venom NR v12 (Wizard to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom V14 Digital (Streamer and Master Clock LPS to Denali v2)
Speaker Cables: Shunyata Sigma v1; Shunyata Sigma v1 Jumpers
Audio Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 XLR (Preamp to Amp); Wireworld Gold Eclipse 8 XLR (DAC Tube and Solid State Outputs to Preamp); Shunyata Sigma USB (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Sigma v2 AES/EBU (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Venom Ethernet (Wall Wart to EtherREGEN); Shunyata Sigma Ethernet (EtherREGEN to Streamer); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 75-Ohm BNC (AfterDark Queen Master Clock to EtherREGEN); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 S/PDIF (Streamer to DAC)
Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra SS (Under Speakers); Stillpoints Ultra Mini's (Under Preamp and DAC); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet and G-Links (Under Amp and Master Clock/LPS); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet (Under Streamer); Shunyata DarkField Suspension System and DarkField Mini Elevators (Under Speaker Cables); IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks (Under EtherREGEN)
Noise Reduction: HRS DPX-14545 Damping Plate (On Amp and Preamp); HRS DPII-14545 Damping Plate (On DAC)
Grounding: Shunyata Alpha v3 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (EtherREGEN to Denali v2)
Rack: Quadraspire SVT

Sun Room
Wireless Speaker: McIntosh RS200
Power Resonator: ADD-Powr Symphony Pro
Power Distribution: Shunyata Venom PS8 w/ Venom Defender
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta NR (Venom PS8 to Wall Outlet); Wireworld Silver Electra 7 (RS200 to Venom PS8)
Isolation: IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks
Rack: Pangea Audio Vulcan
Old 05-06-2022, 11:40 AM

If you can afford it, the 2700 with the outboard DAC is the clear choice. I have found having redundancy cool and very useful.

Best

Charles
Old 05-06-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you can afford it, the 2700 with the outboard DAC is the clear choice. I have found having redundancy cool and very useful.

Best

Charles
I will second that. No complaints with C2700 and DA2. Whole house music runs through the Bluesound Vault while more critical listening runs through the Opticalrendu. Although, I’m on the prowl for a Lampizator Baltic 3.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500

Last edited by dkorbal; 05-06-2022 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:06 AM

Wellll....I went with a new C2700. I arrived yesterday from the best dealer in the world (paid 6298 shipped) and the difference from the 2500 is massive IMO. My Anthem arrives either Monday or Tuesday, so I can't wait to get everything in place. The same dealer called me Wed afternoon and offered a new MX123 v2 at 7300.

Now, the alert I got today about a used MX100 being avail......he said he woul d a straight swap. I am kind of intrigued by this. The only analog I have is MCD301 and my Rega and they are plugged ito the 2700 right now
Old 05-23-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever43 View Post
Wellll....I went with a new C2700. I arrived yesterday from the best dealer in the world (paid 6298 shipped) and the difference from the 2500 is massive IMO. My Anthem arrives either Monday or Tuesday, so I can't wait to get everything in place. The same dealer called me Wed afternoon and offered a new MX123 v2 at 7300.

Now, the alert I got today about a used MX100 being avail......he said he woul d a straight swap. I am kind of intrigued by this. The only analog I have is MCD301 and my Rega and they are plugged ito the 2700 right now
Congrats on your 2700! What's your secret for getting one so quickly? I've had mine on order since January with my local dealer. Still waiting...

Anxious to hear what you think of the AVM 70. I've had an AVM 60 for several years and still enjoy it very much. Not much of an itch to upgrade it yet. IMO, the strength of the Anthem pre/pros comes from their ARC Genesis room correction. IME, ARC does a much better job than Audyssey.