AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 01-31-2022, 04:10 PM

Default Moving from B&W to Wilson (or other)?

So - time has come for me to think about new speakers. I really enjoy my B&W 802 Diamonds (D2) at the time, but think I will upgrade. The newer B&W (D3 or D4) are not for me - don`t like the new sound signature.

I`m thinking about moving to Wilson. The room is not too large, so the small Sabrina X comes to mind.

Though this retails at around 30.000 USD (incl. tax) over here in Germany.

Is it worth the invest?

How does the small single bass of the Sabrina X hold up?

Anyone like to share experience?

On another note - I thought about importing the speakers from the US (I have options for transport) but worried about finding someone taking care of setting them up (apparently there is a fine procedure which retailers take care of?).

Best,

Christoph
Old 01-31-2022, 04:51 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Wilson Sabrina’s are great speakers in their price category. Since I’m partial to Magico I would be remiss not to mention that a place in Hamburg handles their speakers. Their A5s are in a similar in price range…

For warranty concerns I’d probably stick closer to home in my selection of a set of speakers …

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:55 PM

Default Moving from B&W to Wilson (or other)?

Thanx for answering. Yes, I know the one in Hamburg. I‘ll probably audition the Sabrinas in Cologne though… really interested in peoples findings. I‘ve heard many state, that in smaller rooms Sabrina X comes close to Sasha DAW (obviously built to perform in larger rooms) and that there is little a place for the Yvette (apparently the Sabrina X outperforms the Yvette?).

Last edited by bruno2009; 01-31-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:58 PM

… on „paper“ it looks like the Sabrina X even goes lower than the B&W 802 D2…
Old 01-31-2022, 06:52 PM

I have gone in both directions, sort of.

Four years ago, I demoed Sabrinas at home. They were wonderful, but they lacked bass and my wife thought they looked like coffins. I ended up with B&W 805 D3 and a DB3D sub. They have been very good, but a few months ago I came to believe they had too hard an edge--I believe this is what Stereophile described as "extra energy" a few weeks ago. So back to the future...

My dealer advised me that even if I could get my wife over the coffin issue, that unless I could get the Sabrina X 4' from the wall, then the sound would be just as good from a pair of TuneTots on stands. I demoed the TuneTots at home for a week, keeping the DB3D in place. They are amazing! All of the resolution of B&W, without the hard edge. Plus, all the other great stuff you've read about Wilson. Also, with the sub, they do not sound like small speakers.

My TuneTots arrive in March. I have heard there is a new Wilson sub coming for the Tots, I expect to swap the DB3D for it when available.

Both great companies--kind of like choosing between Mercedes and BMW--but I think you'll be glad for the switch to Wilson, especially with a sub
Old 01-31-2022, 09:01 PM

I’ve heard the Sabrina and they were very good, but as Peter described, they were set up quite out from the wall. Deep bass was a bit lacking. Have you thought about looking at speakers made closer to home, like Kharma in the Netherlands?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-01-2022, 12:50 AM

Honestly depends on what you like. I have a friend who had the tune tots and sold it for the 805d4 after a side by side comparison at his office.

Ymmv.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:53 AM

I‘m a little torn. The 802 D2s are pretty amazing in their own right and I do find them more musical than the D3 and D4 series. The Sabrina is certainly amazing (will audition soon) but I doubt that it will be a huge step up & when I read the bass limitations I find it hard to justify 30k retail. The Sasha DAW is too big for the room…. makes it a little difficult.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Honestly depends on what you like. I have a friend who had the tune tots and sold it for the 805d4 after a side by side comparison at his office.

Ymmv.
When you say office, I guess no subwoofer? 805s definitely more bass, but both need a sub for a complete system
Old 02-01-2022, 03:59 PM
Upgrade?

You are in Germany, why not give a chance to Canton Reference 1 K or 2K? Leave no stone unturned!