AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 05-24-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick U View Post
My Aeris speakers are set up with the standard configuration. Internal amp for the bass and a single set of binding post’s for the mids and highs. With this configuration I’m guessing most of the dsp correction is done on the bass with phase adjustments. I’m still amazed by how well the dsp works to fix the bass problems. It does give me confidence that even if new anti vibration feet lift the speakers, the dsp should be able to adjust “if necessary“. Mark after reading up, I see the podiums you have are not that much more than the Gaia’s I was considering. Not sure if my wife will approve of the larger foot print but I’ll ask.
Rick,

All the best for whatever decision you make. I have a friend in NJ with Aeris with Gaia I (?) And he also has a Townshend platform he is thinking about ordering. If he does a compare, it should be interesting.

I also looked deeply at the Gaia as well as Hifi Stays suspension and isolation systems and Magico MPods (M6 size).

All great products in the same vein from what I could tell.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:22 AM

@SCAudiophile

I saw your mention of the Townshend Podiums for isolating the speaker. I hadn't considered such a treatment before so did some research on the topic (e.g. Video by Max Townshend talking about isolation, reviews, etc). The science made a lot of sense to me, and given the price compared to the Valors, seemed like a worthwhile investment.

I have therefore ordered a pair for my Valors. Looks like an 8 week manufacturing lead time. Also ordered an isolation base for my Wavelet and integrated tube amp. The microphonic nature of tubes may certainly benefit.

I did see a picture of your system as part of a post on the Townshend Facebook page, where it mentions that you spent some time working with the engineers at Townshend to customize a size for the Valors. This obviously made it easy for me to have the correct size. Wanted to thank you for your work.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB View Post
@SCAudiophile

I saw your mention of the Townshend Podiums for isolating the speaker. I hadn't considered such a treatment before so did some research on the topic (e.g. Video by Max Townshend talking about isolation, reviews, etc). The science made a lot of sense to me, and given the price compared to the Valors, seemed like a worthwhile investment.

I have therefore ordered a pair for my Valors. Looks like an 8 week manufacturing lead time. Also ordered an isolation base for my Wavelet and integrated tube amp. The microphonic nature of tubes may certainly benefit.

I did see a picture of your system as part of a post on the Townshend Facebook page, where it mentions that you spent some time working with the engineers at Townshend to customize a size for the Valors. This obviously made it easy for me to have the correct size. Wanted to thank you for your work.
@MatthewB That is great news,...congratulations in advance! I was shocked at how much they did over and above my expectations for the VALOR speakers and am certain they'll bring similar results for you.

6-8 weeks....sounds about right for lead times, very close to what I experienced including time to make the crates, etc..Once they arrived
strapped to a pallet, they went in very smoothly, far less time with a bit of
good planning than I had wondered and worried about.

If I can be of any help, please let me know; happy to talk through it via phone. I also have the CAD drawings in various stages and the final plan in case you are interested in seeing what was arrived at.

I'm looking forward to hearing your updates!

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 05-29-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:47 PM

Default Legacy Wavelet II

Well I still haven’t ordered the isoaccoustic speaker feet. A few weeks ago dCS released a major firmware update for the Bartok dac. The Bartok now upsamples to dsd128 and offers the mappers that were available on the Rossini and Vivaldi dac’s. I was hoping for a noticeable improvement but this update is a huge increase in every aspect. Bass is better, vocals, imaging, the stage a bigger and deeper. I think I’ll hold off with the feet for now. I can’t wait to hear what the new Wavelet offers.

Last edited by Rick U; 06-11-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Well I still haven’t ordered the isoaccoustic speaker feet. A few weeks ago dCS released a major firmware update for the Bartok dac. The Bartok now upsamples to dsd128 and offers the mappers that were available on the Rossini and Vivaldi dac’s. I was hoping for a noticeable improvement but this update is a huge increase in every aspect. Bass is better, vocals, imaging, the stage a bigger and deeper. I think I’ll hold off with the feet for now. I can’t wait to hear what the new Wavelet offers.
That's the right call for sure... better footers or platforms give refinement whereas a DAC upgrade is a far more pervasive change.

Congratulations!

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 06-13-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:54 AM

If I revisit the iso feet, I’ll wait till I get the new wavelet. That way I can assess what changes go with what components.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
If I revisit the iso feet, I’ll wait till I get the new wavelet. That way I can assess what changes go with what components.
Good move as noted below....

What rack do you have it on?

FYI,...HRS Damping plates seem to also help Wavelet I as well as II.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:09 PM

My “decor” [emoji58] limitations have me in an enclosed salamander. I doubt I will ever get to have a nice audio rack. I do have iso acoustic feet under my bartok and some very inexpensive little spikes under the wavelet. It’s probably a good idea to consider better vibration control under the new wavelet.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:10 PM

Do you notice the benefits of vibration control at lower volumes?
Old 06-13-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
My “decor” [emoji58] limitations have me in an enclosed salamander. I doubt I will ever get to have a nice audio rack. I do have iso acoustic feet under my bartok and some very inexpensive little spikes under the wavelet. It’s probably a good idea to consider better vibration control under the new wavelet.
Been there with Salamander in the past; in view of that, looking to augment vibration control both to isolate from airborne vibration as well as channeling vibration out of the component will benefit you at all volume levels from what I've experienced.