AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-07-2021, 12:53 PM

Several days at home with the demo TuneTots--they sound just beautiful, and I prefer them to the 805s on almost every dimension. The only drawback was that the integration with my subwoofer is not yet as good as the pretty much instantaneous marriage available within the B&W family. But I am confident that my dealer will optimize subwoofer...

When he delivers new TTs in March!

Phase II, hopefully, will be a new TuneTot optimized sub as 2fast suggested above. Wilson did tell me dealer that a new sub is coming, but no other info was available (including whtehr or not it will be part of the TT ecosystem)
Old 12-07-2021, 01:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Several days at home with the demo TuneTots--they sound just beautiful, and I prefer them to the 805s on almost every dimension. The only drawback was that the integration with my subwoofer is not yet as good as the pretty much instantaneous marriage available within the B&W family. But I am confident that my dealer will optimize subwoofer...

When he delivers new TTs in March!

Phase II, hopefully, will be a new TuneTot optimized sub as 2fast suggested above. Wilson did tell me dealer that a new sub is coming, but no other info was available (including whtehr or not it will be part of the TT ecosystem)
Heard nothing but great stuff about the TuneTots. Everyone who has heard them has loved them.

And, you don't need to wait for Wilson to release a sub to very effectively use a sub in your system, you can use another sub, e.g. REL, JL, SVS, or...KEF.

There is almost always more than one way to mediate a transfer function, and the sub is just mediating a transfer function. The sub is just presssurizing the air in the room at the lower octaves, and the air doesn't care how it's pressurized. What the subwoofer solutions do provide end-user control and features with respect to integration of the sub into your 2-channel system. All the good subs do this very well. There is no magic here....just physics.

You might want to check out the KEF 62...it's small, attractive and very affordable. Check out Darko's review here. You'll likely find it completely meets your requirements. Then, you can hang until (or if) Wilson releases a matching sub, then compare.

Darko review here: https://youtu.be/Y2Lc8oOinOY

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Another great sub from REL...the T/7x. 1100 bucks. What's not to like?

Review by Alan Sircom: https://rb.gy/fi2ziy
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:32 PM

Thanks, Puma. I agree, and i have both a B&W DB3D (mated with my 805s) and a REL T7 (mated with B&W CM-1s). I love both.

The DB3D mates perfectly almost instantly with B&W speakers, with the only manual adjustment being volume. They've really made it easy.

Wilson's advice on crossover and slope was not optimal, but it was close enough that I could get very good sound with a bit of experimentation up and down. But those last few steps to nirvana--with adjustments across multiple parameters--were more than I could do myself in the time I had during the demo.

I'm 90% sure my dealer can dial in the DB3D better than I can, and he will do so when he installs the TTs. When (if?) Wilson comes out with a sub targeted to the TTs in the way B&W has targeted subs, I will probably buy the Wilson, move the DB to my CM-1 system, and give the REL to one of my sons.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks, Puma. I agree, and i have both a B&W DB3D (mated with my 805s) and a REL T7 (mated with B&W CM-1s). I love both.

The DB3D mates perfectly almost instantly with B&W speakers, with the only manual adjustment being volume. They've really made it easy.

Wilson's advice on crossover and slope was not optimal, but it was close enough that I could get very good sound with a bit of experimentation up and down. But those last few steps to nirvana--with adjustments across multiple parameters--were more than I could do myself in the time I had during the demo.
Ha! Yep, I hear ya. Getting the adjustment right across multiple parameters can be challenging.

This is why I did a DOE (Design of Experiments) using a NIST-traceable calibrated mic to integrate my REL to my system.

Nothin' like havin' an R-Square, R-Square Adj., F-statistic and p-value to know I'm heading in the right direction.

Interesting response surface at 155 Hz with respect to the Sub XO*Sub Gain interaction.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-07-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:19 PM

Awesome, Puma!
Old 02-27-2022, 11:34 AM

Thrilled to report back that the TuneTots arrived about 10 days ago and were professionally placed and integrated with my sub a couple of days ago. They are amazing! Incredibly musical, detailed, and smooth. Very precise imaging, and, most surprisingly, they sound huge (albeit with a sub). Also surprising was that my dealer set them only about 1' from the wall, even though he had a couple of feet to work with.

These beat my very good B&W 805 D3 on every dimension. I also prefer them to the Sabrinas (not the X and without a sub) that I auditioned at home a few years ago. For those considering TuneTots on stands for a main system--make sure to have them professionally placed and integrated with a sub. I could not have done these things on my own, and they took speakers that were beautiful up to the level of hair on my arms standing up
Old 02-28-2022, 01:11 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thrilled to report back that the TuneTots arrived about 10 days ago and were professionally placed and integrated with my sub a couple of days ago. They are amazing! Incredibly musical, detailed, and smooth. Very precise imaging, and, most surprisingly, they sound huge (albeit with a sub). Also surprising was that my dealer set them only about 1' from the wall, even though he had a couple of feet to work with.

These beat my very good B&W 805 D3 on every dimension. I also prefer them to the Sabrinas (not the X and without a sub) that I auditioned at home a few years ago. For those considering TuneTots on stands for a main system--make sure to have them professionally placed and integrated with a sub. I could not have done these things on my own, and they took speakers that were beautiful up to the level of hair on my arms standing up
Great report. So glad they worked out so well for you. I've heard nothing but praise for them from virtually every person that has or has heard them. Daryl and his product development team at Wilson are doing good work of late.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-28-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:29 PM

What an incredible result from such a small package. Congrats on the new additions.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 03-01-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Congratulations, PeterMusic! I have not heard TuneTots before, but I am not surprised with your finding.
I would love to see some pictures of the setup.