AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-20-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbgbill View Post
The 462 is a superb amp. I cannot speak as to how it will work with your speakers but I am sure it will. I only got rid of my 462 because I got the wild idea I wanted mono blocks and went with a pair of 611's. Hope you back is in good shape as the 462 is a heavy beast..!
Mechanics and leverage are your friends.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 11-20-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
That is an intriguing statement Charles. Can you expound on his theory with a bit more detail? I'm a bit baffled how 450 watts boils down to 50.
I’m also curious to hear more on this after searching internet for “Dan D'Agostino's SS 10% rule” and finding nothing.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 11-20-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
That is an intriguing statement Charles. Can you expound on his theory with a bit more detail? I'm a bit baffled how 450 watts boils down to 50.
Freddie, excellent question. First of all, I think you made the right decision regarding the 462 vs 1502 unless you had your heart set on the 1502. Why? Because of the problems inherent with tubes as chronicled in the previous comments. Tubes are not as reliable as transistors but transistors can also fail. Any tube amp needs reliable protection circuits and if they don't have them, you are taking a risk.

To answer your specific question. I have always considered a tube watt about 10X a SS watt. A well made tube power amp will not change in sound quality when it approaches clipping and when it clips it does soft clipping as opposed to the hard clipping of a SS amp.

In addition, a SS amp sounds its best when it is loafing and in some amps you get some class A at one or two watts. The Relentless is 100 watts class A but 1,500 watts class AB. So with this monster amp 99% of the time it will be operating in class A.

With a tube amp like the 1502 I think of it as operating in "class A" probably up to 175-200 watts/ch, since Mac always conservatively rates their tube amps.

There are many advantages of tube amps over SS. I personally have never liked them because of their unreliability. I have purchased a pair of 3500 MKII's. However, I will never sell my 1.25KW's for this reason.

However, I consider the 3500 the more powerful of the two amps (3500 MKII vs 1.25KW) as far as sound quality by a significant margin, since I will have the equivalent of 500 "class A watts". Again, when you read the description of the amp on the website, Mac says "conservatively rated at 350W/ch". My source at Mac says it will do over 500W/ch. The original did 550/ch even though it was rated at 350.

I would never use a tube amp for a sub. These arguments don't apply to subs.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 11-20-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:12 PM

Thanks Charles. Appreciated.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 11-20-2021, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the input Charles. If this theory is true then 150 tube watts would equate to 1500 SS watts. That's enough to get me to cancel the 462 and order the 1502 instead.

Now you got me thinking again.

For the record I don't fear tubes at all and have no problem accepting the quirkiness that comes with them.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 11-20-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input Charles. If this theory is true then 150 tube watts would equate to 1500 SS watts. That's enough to get me to cancel the 462 and order the 1502 instead.

Now you got me thinking again.

For the record I don't fear tubes at all and have no problem accepting the quirkiness that comes with them.
IMO, this theory is correct. However, I have never liked tube amps. I feel that Mac SS sounds "tubey" and I love my 1.25KW's. But the 1502 is in terms of sound quality by far more powerful than a 462. You need a 1.25KW to match it. Class A watts are extremely expensive. In many respects a 3500 MK II can match a Relentless at 100 watts class A. In general any extremely well made tube amp like an Audio Research will offer this advantage, IMO. But the trade off is reliability. I want to be able to come in, turn it on, and play music, not worrying about tube life or that I might have to turn it off for some reason. There are numerous practical reasons that I absolutely prefer SS over tube and with Mac SS you get a significant slice of tubes or pure class A. I am willing to give up that "little bit" for the practically of SS. And it sounds great, too.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 11-20-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:04 PM

FWIW, I use my MC275 MKVI everyday. I run it for 6-8 hrs, 5 days a week. Have done this now with COVID for almost two years. Knock on wood, but I have never had an issue. I turn it on, listen for the day, and turn it off. Sometimes I turn it on and off throughout the day if I am on calls. I know I will have to replace the tubes someday but am OK with this as it is part of owning tubes.
I don't listen at reference levels so it does not get driven hard.
I have a mix of vintage and new (mostly vintage) MAC solid state and tubes. Don't think you can go wrong either way. [emoji3] Don't stress too much on the decision and enjoy the music!

Last edited by nikto34; 11-20-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikto34 View Post
FWIW, I use my MC275 MKVI everyday. I run it for 6-8 hrs, 5 days a week. Have done this now with COVID for almost two years. Knock on wood, but I have never had an issue. I turn it on, listen for the day, and turn it off. Sometimes I turn it on and off throughout the day if I am on calls. I know I will have to replace the tubes someday but am OK with this as it is part of owning tubes.
I don't listen at reference levels so it does not get driven hard.
I have a mix of vintage and new (mostly vintage) MAC solid state and tubes. Don't think you can go wrong either way. [emoji3] Don't stress too much on the decision and enjoy the music!
nikto, you got a great amp! You are experiencing the beauty/quality of McIntosh!

Best

Charles

p.s. nikto, If Freddie didn't "stress" over this, it wouldn't be worth it, just not too much.

Last edited by Charles; 11-20-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
nikto, you got a great amp! You are experiencing the beauty/quality of McIntosh!

Best

Charles

p.s. nikto, If Freddie didn't "stress" over this, it wouldn't be worth it, just not too much.
Thanks! Yes, I have really been enjoying it!
Yes, a little in decision is always fun. Never know what you will find. [emoji3]
Old 11-20-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikto34 View Post
Thanks! Yes, I have really been enjoying it!
Yes, a little in decision is always fun. Never know what you will find. [emoji3]
nitko, I'm sure you have noticed that the sound quality does not change when you hit a full 75 watts. You get .5-90 watts of exactly uniform sound quality, whatever that quality happens to be, which in your case is excellent. This is not true in SS, unless it is class A, and real class A, not sliding bias or "trick class A" in SS. This is because in true class A the amp is 100% operating at idle or at full power. This is extremely expensive and heat producing but very rewarding sonically.

Best

Charles