AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-20-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
Please permit a mention of the the following because it may matter to some. In most respects the specs for the new C22 and the C2700 are identical, but the phono section is superior for the C2700 (See below with specs for C2700 listed first.). Using a good analog front end, a 5 to 7 dB difference in S/N will be noticeable to many. If one includes the remote operation, the pretty decent DA2 modular DAC, and the pass through capability, the C2700 could be considered the better buy for $2K more. Being able to change cartridge loading and tone control settings on the fly is a notable advantage.

Signal To Noise Ratio (Moving Coil): 80dB, 75dB
Signal To Noise Ratio (Moving Magnet): 82dB, 75dB

Just so folks know.

Bob
Regarding the phono specs, as with the C2700, for some reason the C22 IV phono specs are better that those of the C22 V. The C22 IV S/N for both MM and MC is 80dB, which as you said, can be significant. The high level S/N for the C22 IV is 98dB though whereas C22 V is slightly better at 100dB.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:07 PM

I agree with Bob's basic point, but for me the key is whether you want to buy the McDAC. I chose my C22 IV over the C2600 (or maybe it was the C2500?) because I already owned a Yggy. If starting from scratch today, I think I'd still prefer the 2 box solution so I could upgrade the DAC.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:08 PM

My new C22v5 showed up today,the Men220 showed up last week, now I'm waiting on my Mc611s then the break in begins.
Aaron
Old 09-18-2020, 10:05 PM

Post pictures when assembled.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigman View Post
My new C22v5 showed up today,the Men220 showed up last week, now I'm waiting on my Mc611s then the break in begins.
Aaron
Aaron-

Good for You!
Enjoy those great sounds about to happen...
Old 09-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Aaron
.....sweet! Enjoy!
Old 09-20-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Aaron
Nice! I hope you'll report back on sound, with and without MEN220.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:36 PM

Quick query: which C22 is the Mark IV? Mine is the most recent discontinued version with the old-style rockers and loudness switch, but without the HP-out X-feed setting. I'd always assumed it was the Mk. III, but perhaps I've missed one...

My usual dealer has yet to receive stock of these, but I'm considering an upgrade and/or an additional MC275. Decisions....
Old 09-20-2020, 05:51 PM

Default New C22 Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Mk V

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapa View Post
Quick query: which C22 is the Mark IV? Mine is the most recent discontinued version with the old-style rockers and loudness switch, but without the HP-out X-feed setting. I'd always assumed it was the Mk. III, but perhaps I've missed one...

I have the same one you have and always thought it was the Mark III as well but my understanding is that we have the Mark IV. I believe the Mark III C22s are the limited edition 60th anniversary units. If so, weird ours would be called the Mark IV only because they removed the 60th anniversary label.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I have the same one you have and always thought it was the Mark III as well but my understanding is that we have the Mark IV. I believe the Mark III C22s are the limited edition 60th anniversary units. If so, weird ours would be called the Mark IV only because they removed the 60th anniversary label.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the detailed reply. I may keep enjoying my Mk. IV and add the extra MC275.