AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-16-2021, 09:40 PM

I just heard from McIntosh that an update is coming in the summer. Possibly for a fee. Nothing I’ve been told is finalized apparently. However, keep in mind, again, autonomic updated their systems before flash was dead, back in December, for free. I’m waiting patiently for McIntosh to update my 2 mb100s that we’re significantly more than the autonomic units. Again, my expectations are higher than what I’m experiencing with McIntosh. And I don’t think I’m expecting too much. I feel like a broken record at this point, and I’ve spent too much time on this subject already.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:29 PM

The selection to use Flash by McIntosh was a very poor one as it has been a piece of garbage since it was brought to market. When Apple refused to allow it on the iPhone in 2007 that was more than enough warning for any company not to develop with it. More so for McIntosh which prides themselves on longevity.

Moving forward one can assume that anything using an app has a limited life expectancy. At some point iOS and Android will be surpassed with a different product or will be so different from today that none of the current apps will work. Add in the fact that manufacturers run out of software support of legacy products pretty quickly.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:17 AM

It's not my nature to stir the pot, but this sentence from the recent mx123 upgrades kinda stings a little:

"...and as McIntosh adheres to our philosophy of continuous product improvement, all new MX123 A/V Processors shipping from the McIntosh factory starting in September 2021..."

I've heard too much conflicting info on any mb100 possible software upgrades, from, and upgrade is coming in June, to, you'll have to pay to upgrade the software (!).

As I've said before, I'm kinda sour on mcintosh's response to this product, and the brand in general. Speaks volumes to me.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gershon View Post
... I've heard too much conflicting info on any mb100 possible software upgrades, from, and upgrade is coming in June, to, you'll have to pay to upgrade the software (!) ... I'm kinda sour on mcintosh's response to this product, and the brand in general. Speaks volumes to me.
For whatever reason, McIntosh is often the subject of rumor and speculation. Much of it is useless for anything other than entertainment and can be ignored. Mac has an excellent reputation for customer service and so do many of its dealers, so I'm not sure why you're so uneasy.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
For whatever reason, McIntosh is often the subject of rumor and speculation. Much of it is useless for anything other than entertainment and can be ignored. Mac has an excellent reputation for customer service and so do many of its dealers, so I'm not sure why you're so uneasy.
Good points. To clarify, I think the digital part of McIntosh should be the focus of my issues, not the tried and true analog part.

Additionally, knowing Autonomic has issued the necessary security updates nearly a year ago for product the mb100 is based on further causes concern.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:55 PM

McIntosh has a history of partnering with third parties for digital products and subsequently leaving their customers in the lurch.

Escient and Autonomic come to mind. I think Lyngdorf may be the exception - that relationship seems to be working.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 09-14-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I think Lyngdorf may be the exception - that relationship seems to be working.
I hope so I just ordered a MEN220. Although I’m being told 8-12 week lead time.

I’ll attest to McIntosh’s service . I just had what turned out to be a tube problem with the C2700 and their response was second to none. Between McIntosh and the dealer I didn’t have to worry about a thing.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 10-03-2021, 09:58 PM

I am not able to log on to Tidal, Tune In and SiriusXM anymore. Anyone had any luck with these?
Old 01-20-2022, 10:45 AM

Love the new $3,000 amp stand. Unrelated question, does anybody think our mb100’s will ever get updated like the autonomic version did (in 2020)?
Old 04-05-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gershon View Post
Love the new $3,000 amp stand. Unrelated question, does anybody think our mb100’s will ever get updated like the autonomic version did (in 2020)?
Yes I am also consider using my MB100 as an amp stand.

Both Autonomic and McIntosh told me many months ago that they were working on an update which should be available shortly. Their interpretation for “shortly” is for the very patient wise man, I apparently am not. Nevertheless waiting with fingers crossed. Worst case, an amp stand it is.