AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 11-07-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird View Post
Try Spectral. Magico/Spectral systems have won best-of-show awards, at shows where much of the equipment mentioned in this thread was also shown. I understand that when we argue for what we already own, as I am doing here, it is assumed to be an act of vanity, and that those who do so are unable to be truly objective. But I auditioned numerous systems and found great synergy with my Spectral/Magico combo. Since Magico speakers are designed to be tonally neutral and very revealing, they will reflect what is fed them with more accuracy than many other speaker designs. Spectral is very accurate, very neutral, highly dynamic AND, when partnered with hi-end source components, very musical. Because of Spectral's high bandwidth, quality cabling is essential. For Spectral systems, the best component synergy in cabling is MIT. The top MIT cabling is generally accepted as some of the best in the world. Both Spectral and Magico have the ability to exploit the capabilities of the better MIT designs. Spectral electronics are, relatively speaking, a bargain in the high-end world. However, there is nothing cheap about MIT - especially the better designs! I would guess that some of the bad rap Spectral gets is due to people assembling systems with poor synergy - or trying to economize on their cabling - and not liking their results! So, things have a way of evening-out... There is no free lunch. What money is saved on the electronics by purchasing Spectral over, say, Constellation or Soulution, is probably spent on better MIT cabling anyway. Great sound will cost you, one way or another. In all modesty I say, what I have in my home is GREAT sound, and I am listening to Magico/Spectral/MIT/Esoteric!! Ted.
Hi Ted,
Were you able to compare it with Gryphon Mephisto?
I'm in a similar situation where I have the Spectral 500 ARs and thinking of Mephisto to improve on resolution and musicality.
Thoughts by other members also appreciated.
Thanks,
TJ
Old 11-12-2021, 12:26 PM

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but add to it.

What about amps for the A5's? They have 1k watt upper limit which intrigues me.

I have the amount of power now. Sure, I only listen for very short periods of time very loud. But having that much headroom and low volume drive is amazing.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:51 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

IMO, A5s sound good on Pass, EMM, Boulder, Gryphon, Luxman etc.

I presently have A3s running on Pass 260.8s. I'm replacing the A3s with M3s which are already on order. For the time being I will stick with the Pass 260.8s but may update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but add to it.

What about amps for the A5's? They have 1k watt upper limit which intrigues me.

I have the amount of power now. Sure, I only listen for very short periods of time very loud. But having that much headroom and low volume drive is amazing.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:22 PM

My friend powers his A5s with a pair of Bryston 28B3 and the results are very good.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:52 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

WOW the A5s just won 2021 Stereophile Loudspeaker of the Year and Component of the Year!

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.

Last edited by JoeN; 11-21-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuave View Post
My friend powers his A5s with a pair of Bryston 28B3 and the results are very good.
I’ve heard the A5 with Bryston 28B3. They sounded better then B&W 800D3 which I heard many times and on the same day, although at different locations and front end. The A5’s vocals etc where much better. Even my wife who has better hearing in the highs agreed.

Last edited by hdvidguy; 11-21-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick721 View Post
The new Boulder 866 Integrated amp sounds really good with the new Magico A5's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGRVc2waFDk
Rick721 - how are out are your A5s from the front and side walls? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2022, 09:37 PM

Constellation make my Magicos sound, well, magical.
Analog System: TechDAS Air Force Two Premium; SAT Gen 1 9" Tonearm; Air Tight Opus 1; Constellation Virgo III; Constellation Perseus; Constellation Performance DC Filters; Constellation Centaur II 500 Stereo; Magico M3 w/MPODs; Kubala-Sosna Sensation; Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma NR; Artesania Exoteryc 3+3 Rack w/Artesania/TechDAS Air Force Two Platform; Artesania Aire Floor Platform; Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200; Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic; DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer

Digital System: Roon Nucleus+; Woo Audio WA 33; MSB Premier; MSB Digital Director; Hifiman Susvara; Focal Utopia; Danacables Lazuli Nirvana, Sablon Audio RJ45; Cardas Clear Beyond; Shunyata Denali

Desktop system: Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition; Meze Audio Elite; PlusSound X8 Palladium Plated Hybrid; Triode Wire Labs RJ45
Old 10-05-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
I have S3 Mk2s driven by a Gryphon Diablo 300. Dynamics and tone are wonderful and a good match for my taste in classical music. Excellent bass performance for these speakers.
A few months ago I updated my amplification to a Luxman M-10X amp and an Esoteric Grandioso C1X solo preamplifier. I auditioned preamps from ARC, Pass, and Constellation in my system (Luxman's matching pre was not available) before deciding on the solo. I am very happy with these choices. The sound is significantly more refined, especially in the higher registers, and the bass is excellent.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:58 AM
"Senior" Junior Member

Even the smallest of the Convergent amps (JL-5) sounds wonderful pushing Magico S5 MkII.