AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
My recommendation would be to move ER in to the location of your Zyxel switch, connect to the Zyxel with the Shunyata Sigma Ethernet to ER's B-side and run optical out of A-side directly into the back of the SFP cage of the X1. Alternatively, you can connect the Shunyata Sigma Ether to ER's A-side from the Zyxel switch, and run optical out of the SFP cage on A-side directly into the back of the X1's SFP cage. Emile at Taiko found that connecting via Ether to A-side of ER and running optical out sounded better than going in via B-side, but YMMV, so try it both ways and go with what sounds best.
I thought that the only way to connect the ER, was that the incoming signal had to go in on the "A" side and out on the "B" side, not the opposite.
I will try your suggestion and see which works best.
Thanks!
Old 03-20-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post
I thought that the only way to connect the ER, was that the incoming signal had to go in on the "A" side and out on the "B" side, not the opposite.
Thanks!

Uptone and the ER manual indicate that it's effective either way. The caveat is if you go in on the B side and put on the A side, don't connect anything to the other A ports, to keep it clean.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-20-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Uptone and the ER manual indicate that it's effective either way. The caveat is if you go in on the B side and put on the A side, don't connect anything to the other A ports, to keep it clean.
Got it. Thanks!
In the meantime, I ordered the SoTM sNH-10G switch, with the optional built in clock and the external master clock input.
That will likely take a couple weeks to arrive.
The Lumin X1 is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Multiquote....

Quote:
Thanks!
No, you can connect it either way...ER is bi-directional, as is "the moat".

Quote:
This is the correct guidance as provided by the manual originally written by Alex and John.

However....Emile Bok of Taiko has found that connecting "servers" on A-side and going out to the "destination device" (e.g. a Lumin, for example) via fiber, also on A-side, can, in some systems, sound better than going out via "B-side".

And, in fact, that's what I've also found, as well, in an experiment I did just last week.

Here's what I did:

a) The Mac Mini Roon Core is in a "remote server room", next to my home network's Pace router; the Pace router has 4 plastic RJ45 jacks on it. Previously, I had the Mac Mini and EtherREGEN each connected one of these plastic RJ45 jacks with Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cables. The Sigma that came "out" of the Pace router when into B-side of ER and out via LC/LC optical fiber on A-side to the Lumin P1 in the main rack in the living room.

b) Based on Emile's findings that A-side of ER can deliver really "clean" signal, last week I connected my Mac Mini's Sigma Ether to one of the RJ45 jacks on ER instead of to the Pace router, and...lo and behold, it sounded quite a bit better. In this configuration, I had the Pace router connecting to ER via...B-side.

c) I then tried connecting the Mac Mini's Ether via B-side, but it didn't sound as good as when connected on A-side, and the Pace router connected via B-side.

d) Given, that I then connected the Pace router's Ethernet cable to A-side as well, but that sounded the worst.

So, now my set-up is: Pace Router -> Sigma Ether-> B-side of ER. Mac Mini-> Sigma Ether -> A side of ER. ER -> LC/LC fiber to the P1.

My hypothesis as to why this sounds best is that the "moat" between A/B sides is preventing all the crap from the el-cheapo Pace router and it's chees-y plastic jacks from getting through to A-side on ER. And...connecting the Roon Core to a quality RJ45 jack with 12 isolation transformers/jack is better than...connecting via chees-y plastic jacks on a Pace router.

Funny how that works...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:59 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Multiquote....

Quote:
Thanks!
No, you can connect it either way...ER is bi-directional, as is "the moat".

Quote:
This is the correct guidance as provided by the manual originally written by Alex and John.

However....Emile Bok of Taiko has found that connecting "servers" on A-side and going out to the "destination device" (e.g. a Lumin, for example) via fiber, also on A-side, can, in some systems, sound better than going out via "B-side".

And, in fact, that's what I've also found, as well, in an experiment I did just last week.

Here's what I did:

a) The Mac Mini Roon Core is in a "remote server room", next to my home network's Pace router; the Pace router has 4 plastic RJ45 jacks on it. Previously, I had the Mac Mini and EtherREGEN each connected one of these plastic RJ45 jacks with Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cables. The Sigma that came "out" of the Pace router when into B-side of ER and out via LC/LC optical fiber on A-side to the Lumin P1 in the main rack in the living room.

b) Based on Emile's findings that A-side of ER can deliver really "clean" signal, last week I connected my Mac Mini's Sigma Ether to one of the RJ45 jacks on ER's A-side instead of to the Pace router, and...lo and behold, it sounded quite a bit better. In this configuration, I had the Pace router connecting to ER via...B-side.

c) I then tried connecting the Mac Mini's Ether via B-side, but it didn't sound as good as when connected on A-side, and the Pace router connected via B-side.

d) Given, that I then connected the Pace router's Ethernet cable to A-side as well, but that sounded the worst.

So, now my set-up is: Pace Router -> Sigma Ether-> B-side of ER. Mac Mini-> Sigma Ether -> A side of ER. ER -> LC/LC fiber to the P1.

My hypothesis as to why this sounds best is that the "moat" between A/B sides is preventing all the crap from the el-cheapo Pace router and it's chees-y plastic jacks from getting through to A-side on ER. And...connecting the Roon Core to a quality RJ45 jack with 12 isolation transformers/jack is better than...connecting via chees-y plastic jacks on a Pace router.

Funny how that works...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:47 PM

Trials & Tribulations - scene #5
I had ordered:

StarTech.com Cisco GLC-LH-SM Compatible SFP Module - 1000BASE-LX/LH - 1GE Gigabit Ethernet SFP - LC 20km - 1310nm - Cisco IE3400, IE3300, IE3200 (SFPGLCLHSMST)

Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL 1000BASE-SX 2.125Gb/s 850nm LC Connector SFP Transceiver

10GBase-SR SFP+ Transceiver, 10G 850nm MMF, up to 300 Meters, Compatible with Cisco SFP-10G-SR, Meraki MA-SFP-10GB-SR, Ubiquiti UniFi UF-MM-10G, Fortinet, Mikrotik, Netgear and More, Pack of 2

1.25G SFP Transceiver 1000Base-LX, 1310nm SMF, up to 10 km, for Cisco GLC-LH-SMD, Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-LX10, Ubiquiti UniFi, Fortinet, Mikrotik, D-Link, Netgear, TP-Link TL-SM311LS and More, Pack of 2

8 Meter Singlemode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (9/125) - LC to LC - Yellow

8 Meter Multimode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (62.5/125) - LC to LC - Orange

FLYPROFiber LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable OM3 8M, Length Options: 0.2m-200m, 10GB Multimode Duplex LC-LC 50/125um Fiber Optic Cable Cord LSZH-8Meter(26ft)

Zyxel Multi-Gig 12-Port Unmanaged Switch with 2-Port 2.5G and 2-Port 10G SFP+ Desktop/Wallmount, 5-Years Warranty [XGS1010-12]

Various lengths of BJC Certified Cat 6A Patch Cable (Blue Jeans)

And auditioned all of them. While I was waiting for the SFPs recommended by Stephen:
https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb...x-module-20km/
and this, by far, made a huge difference in the sq.
Then, my amp crapped out.

I am returning all except the Planet Technology USA mentioned by Stephen.

Yesterday I received https://sotm-usa.com/products/snh-10g

But I still haven't connected it, since I am having amplifier-subwoofer issues.
I am down for the count until I get a replacement amp while mine gets checked out.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Trials & Tribulations - scene #5
I had ordered:

StarTech.com Cisco GLC-LH-SM Compatible SFP Module - 1000BASE-LX/LH - 1GE Gigabit Ethernet SFP - LC 20km - 1310nm - Cisco IE3400, IE3300, IE3200 (SFPGLCLHSMST)

Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL 1000BASE-SX 2.125Gb/s 850nm LC Connector SFP Transceiver

10GBase-SR SFP+ Transceiver, 10G 850nm MMF, up to 300 Meters, Compatible with Cisco SFP-10G-SR, Meraki MA-SFP-10GB-SR, Ubiquiti UniFi UF-MM-10G, Fortinet, Mikrotik, Netgear and More, Pack of 2

1.25G SFP Transceiver 1000Base-LX, 1310nm SMF, up to 10 km, for Cisco GLC-LH-SMD, Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-LX10, Ubiquiti UniFi, Fortinet, Mikrotik, D-Link, Netgear, TP-Link TL-SM311LS and More, Pack of 2

8 Meter Singlemode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (9/125) - LC to LC - Yellow

8 Meter Multimode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (62.5/125) - LC to LC - Orange

FLYPROFiber LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable OM3 8M, Length Options: 0.2m-200m, 10GB Multimode Duplex LC-LC 50/125um Fiber Optic Cable Cord LSZH-8Meter(26ft)

Zyxel Multi-Gig 12-Port Unmanaged Switch with 2-Port 2.5G and 2-Port 10G SFP+ Desktop/Wallmount, 5-Years Warranty [XGS1010-12]

Various lengths of BJC Certified Cat 6A Patch Cable (Blue Jeans)

And auditioned all of them. While I was waiting for the SFPs recommended by Stephen:
https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb...x-module-20km/
and this, by far, made a huge difference in the sq.
Then, my amp crapped out.

I am returning all except the Planet Technology USA mentioned by Stephen.

Yesterday I received https://sotm-usa.com/products/snh-10g

But I still haven't connected it, since I am having amplifier-subwoofer issues.
I am down for the count until I get a replacement amp while mine gets checked out.
That's quite an experiment!

I'll just add that I found out about the Planet Tech SFPs because they were recommended by Emile Bok of Taiko Audio. He did extensive testing and found that these were the best.