AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 09-07-2023, 09:28 AM
Listener in Training

Default Can you believe it? Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds

I heard the Stones have a new studio album coming out, so decided to check out the single they released on YouTube. Paint me skeptical; people were making jokes about their age 40 years ago (decades ago, I remember a cartoon, in the New Yorker perhaps, showing Mick and Keith at a concert and the panties thrown on the stage were Depends). Been to see them four times since 1981 and the 2015 show was arguably the best (certainly was fun taking 80BJr). Still, at the 80 year mark, something's got to give, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mEC54eTuGw

Well, they still have it. This song rocks - Keith has another great riff to add to the collection. Despite the video's CGI, the use of the old 560SL, and retrospective images, it works. There's a line Mick sings near the end "I'm still taking the pills" kind of sums it up. Keep rolling guys.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 09-07-2023, 11:21 AM

Yup, they still rock. It is amazing. The Stones truly are the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:23 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Yup, they still rock. It is amazing. The Stones truly are the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band.
Indeed they are.
Decent video. Showing off my f-in-l's '90 450SL. He wanted to be buried in it, but.......
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-07-2023, 09:43 PM

In the car today on my way to errands, I'm listening to XM's Classic Vinyl and Rachel Steele played the new track. I cranked it up. It almost felt like old times, listening to a new Stones song on the radio.

Almost.

But these aren't the old times. Mick is 80. None of us were driving cars back then like we are today, and of course we were listening to mono AM, because rock FM hadn't really happened yet. Much has happened since.

I'll always enjoy the music of the old times but I don't want to go back to then. So to have this new Stones music now is refreshingly life affirming. It's even rather inspiring to see these guys rock at their age.

The new album won't be out until October. When it's released, I won't have the human interaction of going to Cavage's or Korvette's or Sam Goody's to buy it. On that day, it will be instantly available on Qobuz, and it's likely I'll stream it then, perhaps more than once. It's also possible - okay, it's almost guaranteed - that I'll enjoy some cannabis on the occasion, which is now fully legal where I live. The neighbors are too distant to complain about the volume so that is never an issue. I'm a Stones fan and I'm sure that first listen will be an experience, for better or worse.

Still, I can't help but ponder what we've lost along the way.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.

Last edited by cleeds; 09-07-2023 at 09:45 PM.