AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 11-26-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Follow-up: Turned on the C2300 preamp and MC501 power amps today and ran tests similar to yesterday ... There is no, I repeat NO sound coming from the left channel ...
You might consider reversing the left and right phono leads at the preamp input and see what happens. That will isolate the problem to either the arm/cartridge/phono wiring or the preamp itself.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:02 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Speaking of hum, my C-J LP70S has developed a hum (actually, a buzz) out of the right channel, even with nothing connected but the power cord and the speaker cables. L channel is dead quiet. I've swapped out all the possible combinations of tubes in the input and output stages and the hum is always on the R channel. Have to call Jeff at C-J next week and get his guidance on what to do, but my guess is the amp is gonna have to go back to C-J. Urg...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-26-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:33 PM

I sympathize with both of you. System hums of any type drive me utterly insane. Power supplies are often the culprit, but TT's also seem especially prone to picking up a hum from close proximity to other cables or components.

OP, did you use a ground-lift or cheater plug on your TT to see if that helped the situation?
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
I sympathize with both of you. System hums of any type drive me utterly insane. Power supplies are often the culprit, but TT's also seem especially prone to picking up a hum from close proximity to other cables or components.

OP, did you use a ground-lift or cheater plug on your TT to see if that helped the situation?
Hadn't thought of that. I have some very good ones that I was using before. Moving the TT power supply and re-orienting the power supply's power cord has helped tremedously. I am still mystified by the fact that the hum and noise sticks to the right channel only. I did another slight re-positioning of the TT's power cord so it isn't touching anything metal, such as one of the equipment rack's pillars, and just did the same test as before: with the TT, pre and power amps on, with no LP playing, I chose the MM input and increased the volume until I could hear hum, which occurred at step 24 (worse than yesterday); then the MC input, with which I got to step 64 before hearing any hum (again, my ear was about 2 feet from the right speaker for both tests).

There are other things to try. The tonearm cable is connected to the MM input; I could move it to the MC input to see if that changes anything; I can try re-orienting the tonearm cable to ensure it's not crossing any power cords; I could try a ground lift on the TT power supply cable, as I think it has a ground blade (it's a 2-prong cord). I don't want to go crazy here, but I'd like to resolve this.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 11-28-2022, 10:35 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Fixed my hum/buzz issues today; no longer an issue. My CJ is dead-quiet now and sounds as gorgeous as ever.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:56 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Fixed my hum/buzz issues today; no longer an issue. My CJ is dead-quiet now and sounds as gorgeous as ever.
What was the culprit?
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-29-2022, 01:55 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
What was the culprit?
As it turns out, initially it was because I didn't have the RCA interconnects from my First Sound (FS) preamp connected to the LP70S power amp. When I first heard noticed the hum/buzz originally, it was right after connecting my Michell TT/SME V arm to my EAR 324 phono stage, and the EAR back to the FS preamp (I didn't have the TT connected for a spell). Initially, I thought the buzz was coming from the TT's ground strap or phono stage, because that's where it usually comes from (usually, it's the tonearm's ground strap that has come loose). So, I started systemically unplugging the ICs, one pair at a time, to try locate the source of the buzz. Ended up with just the amp connected to the power cord and speaker cables, and it still had a buzz. It didn't occur to me at the time that I might have replaced one source of buzz with another. Doh! Called Jeff at C-J and he said to be sure the ICs are connected from the preamp to the amp, and the preamp is powered on, even if it's on mute. So, as the FS preamp is presently out of the system, today I simply connected the Lumin P1 RCA outs to the the CJ power amp, and the system was dead quiet. The CJ LP70S sounds quite wonderful with the Lumin P1 functioning as streamer, DAC, and preamp.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-29-2022 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
... I am still mystified by the fact that the hum and noise sticks to the right channel only ...
That is why I suggest reversing the phono leads at the input of your preamp. That will help isolate the source of the hum to either the arm/cartridge/phono wiring or the preamp itself.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:15 PM
Semi-audiophile

I realized that, since having made the most recent changes in the setup I'd been paying attention to the right channel only. This evening, I re-positioned the TT power cord again slightly, and connected the tonearm cable to the MC input. The hum is in both channels, but I turned the volume dial up to 43 before any hum was clearly audible. With no connection you get the standard noise you might expect, too low to be bothersome unless you put your ear next to the speaker. I repeated this with the MM input, and got up to about 48 before hum was audible, again from both channels and almost too low to be audible unless the ear is right up to the speaker; I'd not likely hear it at my listening position (about 9.5 ft. away) at normal listening volumes. In both scenarios, with no music playing and me positioned between the speakers, the hum was barely audible.

Still connected to the MM, I put a record on and could not hear noise or hum at a volume of 44; the music drowns it out if it's still there. By contrast, before I re-positioned the power supply the hum was loud enough to compete with the music (and in the right channel only). I may just reroute the tonearm cable, which does run near a power cord or two, or the power supply's power cord, which is longer and surrounded by other power cords, and call it a day. For all I know this was a problem that existed before, but wasn't noticed because it wasn't loud enough.

Problem not solved, but mitigated significantly when considering where it started.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 11-30-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:

I may just reroute the tonearm cable, which does run near a power cord or two, or the power supply's power cord, which is longer and surrounded by other power cords, and call it a day. For all I know this was a problem that existed before, but wasn't noticed because it wasn't loud enough.

Problem not solved, but mitigated significantly when considering where it started.
Cool that you've figured it out. For what it's worth, if you find you can't get all cables separated from power cables, try Shunyata's Dark Field Minis. They're relatively inexpensive (about $150 for a 12 pack) and can be very effective at creating separation between cables (but not as elevators). IMG_2397.jpg
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2