AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-20-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khashmi View Post
Thanks! I do have the Pope 6V6GT’s which I believe can be safely driven with a 5U4G, but I will look in to getting a 5Y3 rectifier to compare. Any particular brand to look out for?

On the other end of the power spectrum I plan to gun for the 5AR4/GZ34. Those vintage Mullards are expensive…
A 5U4G is fine for the Popes. I regularly use a RCA RCA 5U4G. Zalytron and RCA both make a decent 5Y3GT and there is a decent RCA 5Y3G.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
A 5U4G is fine for the Popes. I regularly use a RCA RCA 5U4G. Zalytron and RCA both make a decent 5Y3GT and there is a decent RCA 5Y3G.
Thanks for the confirm and will look around for the RCA/Zalytron.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:17 PM

Default 46 amp with 5W4 rectifier

Dennis said that there had been some talk about using a 5W4 rectifier in his amps, and he wanted me to pass along that he loves the 5W4 in his prototype 46 amp...

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

He gave me a voltage chart as measured on the 46 amp on the shop bench, and it is as follows...

5Y3 = 357 VDC
5W4 = 377 VDC
5U4 = 400 VDC
5AR4 = 420 VDC

In this amp, he says the 5Y3 and 5W4 would be the choices as to stay within plate voltage specs for the 46 tube.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:24 PM

Wonder if those voltages are the same in the KT88 amp. Those are higher than I was expecting. It would explain why I couldn't get a sound I liked from 6aq5 with a 5y3. Also makes me wonder if I should be running 6k6gt tubes in there at all. I think they sounded good with the 5w4gt rectifier but they are rated for 315v max.

Last edited by Isaacc7; 06-23-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:56 AM

There are certain events in life that get permanently etched in to the far recesses of your soul. You can’t shake them. You live them over and over again. Every detail preserved, every second accounted for, every emotion perfectly recallable.

Yesterday, was one such event.

After breaking-in the KT-88 SEP for 2 weeks and just over 170 hours, curiosity got the better of me and I took out the Psvane’s KT-88s that I received with the amp and popped in the Pope 6V6’s that I had bought even before the amp arrived. To be honest, I’ve been so happy with KT-88’s that I was ready for the Popes to sound anemic in my rig, regret getting pumped up about the sonic superiority of the lower output tube, and figure out a way to recoup my funds. At the same, I was curious since so many members here seemed to like it (I’ve read the entirety of the Inspire thread on AA and the last 200 pages twice) and in my communication with Dennis, he basically said:

“If you want to impress your neighbors (KT-88) but if you want 24/7 sonic bliss (6V6).”

There was another self-serving reason for this experiment. I’m in line for Decware’s 6 watt SET and I wanted to gauge whether that was a stupid idea. I figured, the approx. 5 wpc 6V6 should give me a crude approximation.

Hmm. How to describe it? To say that I was completely bowled over by the 6V6 would be an understatement. This tube gave me literal goosebumps. I kid you not. It completely, and utterly smoked the KT-88’s in my rig from the word go (well technically, I gave it 20 min to warm up). So what changed:

Soundstage expanded to the extent that I felt that my room was restricting it!
The bass (I can’t get over this one) was as good if not better then the KT-88’s. How in the world is that possible? Head scratcher, this.
It sounded for lack of a better word…more musical? I know I’m using a cliché but that’s what happens when you’re at a loss for words.
Vocals, which were already amazing with KT-88’s became decidedly holographic, and on one track, I could hear the singer 30’ degrees to my right and I sit a good 14 ft from my speakers. I nearly jumped out of my skin when that happened.

I could swear I was hearing some micro-details in songs that I didn’t hear before or was it just better imaging of instruments (a win win either way)?

Also, the tonality of the instruments (already good to begin with) sounded—-just right. Sweet-spot hit—and then some.

It’s not like the KT-88’s were bad. They were very good and win hands down in the looks/glow dept. No contest there. But in musicality, they got bested and humbled by the 6V6. I even brought my son down to the basement to hear one track and let me just put this way. I could make out his flabbergasted look even with the lights off.

All in all, it was such an out of body experience that I had trouble falling asleep last night. When I woke up all groggy this morning, I began to second guess myself thinking maybe I dreamt it all up so I decided to repeat the experiment today. To my relief, it sounded just as magical as the night before. Told Dennis and he basically said…about time (and told you so!). He encouraged me to share my experience with the AA group and I assured him that I was already planning to. I just wanted him to know first.

Thanks Dennis. I’m Inspired!
Old 06-24-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
There are certain events in life that get permanently etched in to the far recesses of your soul. You can’t shake them. You live them over and over again. Every detail preserved, every second accounted for, every emotion perfectly recallable.

Yesterday, was one such event.

After breaking-in the KT-88 SEP for 2 weeks and just over 170 hours, curiosity got the better of me and I took out the Psvane’s KT-88s that I received with the amp and popped in the Pope 6V6’s that I had bought even before the amp arrived. To be honest, I’ve been so happy with KT-88’s that I was ready for the Popes to sound anemic in my rig, regret getting pumped up about the sonic superiority of the lower output tube, and figure out a way to recoup my funds. At the same, I was curious since so many members here seemed to like it (I’ve read the entirety of the Inspire thread on AA and the last 200 pages twice) and in my communication with Dennis, he basically said:

“If you want to impress your neighbors (KT-88) but if you want 24/7 sonic bliss (6V6).”

There was another self-serving reason for this experiment. I’m in line for Decware’s 6 watt SET and I wanted to gauge whether that was a stupid idea. I figured, the approx. 5 wpc 6V6 should give me a crude approximation.

Hmm. How to describe it? To say that I was completely bowled over by the 6V6 would be an understatement. This tube gave me literal goosebumps. I kid you not. It completely, and utterly smoked the KT-88’s in my rig from the word go (well technically, I gave it 20 min to warm up). So what changed:

Soundstage expanded to the extent that I felt that my room was restricting it!
The bass (I can’t get over this one) was as good if not better then the KT-88’s. How in the world is that possible? Head scratcher, this.
It sounded for lack of a better word…more musical? I know I’m using a cliché but that’s what happens when you’re at a loss for words.
Vocals, which were already amazing with KT-88’s became decidedly holographic, and on one track, I could hear the singer 30’ degrees to my right and I sit a good 14 ft from my speakers. I nearly jumped out of my skin when that happened.

I could swear I was hearing some micro-details in songs that I didn’t hear before or was it just better imaging of instruments (a win win either way)?

Also, the tonality of the instruments (already good to begin with) sounded—-just right. Sweet-spot hit—and then some.

It’s not like the KT-88’s were bad. They were very good and win hands down in the looks/glow dept. No contest there. But in musicality, they got bested and humbled by the 6V6. I even brought my son down to the basement to hear one track and let me just put this way. I could make out his flabbergasted look even with the lights off.

All in all, it was such an out of body experience that I had trouble falling asleep last night. When I woke up all groggy this morning, I began to second guess myself thinking maybe I dreamt it all up so I decided to repeat the experiment today. To my relief, it sounded just as magical as the night before. Told Dennis and he basically said…about time (and told you so!). He encouraged me to share my experience with the AA group and I assured him that I was already planning to. I just wanted him to know first.

Thanks Dennis. I’m Inspired!

6V6G and 6L6G and GAs are sublime too. IMHO, you don't need the Decware amp. Put those funds toward an Inspire LP2030 preamp and take your system to another level.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTube Guy View Post
6V6G and 6L6G and GAs are sublime too. IMHO, you don't need the Decware amp. Put those funds toward an Inspire LP2030 preamp and take your system to another level.
Thanks, the thought has crossed my mind. That said, I’m also pretty happy with my current tube preamp (Freya Plus).

Decware: It’s only curiosity at this point considering it also has a very passionate following. Perhaps I can do an A/B comparison, which is something I am unable to find online as of yet. But good news is that now I’m not necessarily pining for it. Extremely happy with my choice to enter the Inspire family.

Speaking of being curious, I do plan to get a GL KT-77 as well to assess. That’s another tube that consistently keeps getting rave reviews.

I will also now look at other 6V6 and 6L6 tubes seriously. I know the French Visseaux is highly regarded (I believe some like it better then the Popes).
Old 06-24-2022, 01:55 PM

Yup, the 6v6 family is just so satisfying. I remember trying to explain the sound to a friend. While I could get more detail, crisper bass, or bigger soundstage from a variety of tubes the 6v6 I have tried have just sounded “right” to me.

So far I have used old Sylvania in the form of JAN 7c5, black glass Ken Rad, and some newer Sylvanias. Also used some Sylvania branded GE 6ez5 but I’m pretty sure they are actually just later GE 6v6 tubes. All of them sounded great. All of them are pretty cheap too. I have spent a lot of money on various output tubes but have not as yet explored the world of more expensive 6v6. The grey glass RCA versions are the most desired US tubes although I think a lot of that is driven by guitarists.

I bought a bunch of 6aq5 tubes from the likes of Telefunken, Mullard, and some French ones. The 6aq5 is commonly known as a 6v6 in a smaller envelope. The trouble is that according to the data sheet, the KT88 Firebottle exceeds the max ratings pin the screen. And looking at the voltages shown with different rectifiers a few posts up the max anode voltages are exceeded too. I managed to get some niceish sounds out of some of them but I was never really satisfied with them. Plus I was worried about burning them up.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:02 PM

I've switched over to using Mullard 807 outputs with the CV1102 input. Not sure if I've had the same issue before but this is the first time I've noticed just how close these tubes are to each other. Do you think this could cause any problems? Sounds amazing but I don't want to risk premature death to these tubes!

Old 06-25-2022, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Speaking of being curious, I do plan to get a GL KT-77 as well to assess. That’s another tube that consistently keeps getting rave reviews.

I will also now look at other 6V6 and 6L6 tubes seriously. I know the French Visseaux is highly regarded (I believe some like it better then the Popes).
The RCA metal 6F6 are worth giving a roll too