AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 10-26-2019, 12:33 AM

The Yggy GS stands for, "garage sale." All the info you need is on their website.

Basically it goes like this; a lot of people upgraded their generation 1 to generation 2. As a result, a lot of generation 1 boards are stacking up in the Schiit warehouse. They take the old board, stuff in a brand new case along with everything else and sell it. Cheap. Like $1599 cheap.

If you don't need bleeding edge and would be satisfied with damn fine, it's a good deal.

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables
Old 10-26-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post
The Yggy GS stands for, "garage sale." All the info you need is on their website.

Basically it goes like this; a lot of people upgraded their generation 1 to generation 2. As a result, a lot of generation 1 boards are stacking up in the Schiit warehouse. They take the old board, stuff in a brand new case along with everything else and sell it. Cheap. Like $1599 cheap.

If you don't need bleeding edge and would be satisfied with damn fine, it's a good deal.

Interesting concept and revenue stream for Schiit. As long as they’re forthright with what the customer is getting, it seems like a win/win.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:49 AM

@Puma Cat : YES as confirmed by others including @Grover at Schiit this is new Yggy with Gen5 USB ect just older Analog 1 board
would appreciate yours or others opinion-seems like an offer almost 'too good to be true'
will pair this with new Rggy 2 (just an amp)
only listen to streaming HD/HiRes on TIDAL/Qobuz on their respective web/app pages plus via ROON and Audirvana A+3 with my 800 ripped CD's in Apple lossless(from WiFi connected late 2012 i7 16GB RAM Mac Mini with new 4TB samsung SSD HD)
will be listening with Sennheiser RS-195s and 598 HDs and with newly built for me Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors(any opinions on my choice of speakers ?) haven't been on this page since 2013!
thanks bobbmd
Old 11-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Agreed GS sounds like a good deal in terms of percentage discount on "damn fine". OTOH, I thought the money I spent upgrading my Yggy Analog 1 to Analog 2 was worth every penny and more. So I would still opt for their latest unless I was on a tight budget.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:29 PM

@Puma Cat and all others who responded to my query: I have been in possession of the Yggdrasil GS and Ragnarok 2 just the amp mated with a pair of Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors for a little more than a week.
The Dac is superb,the amp same and is one Schiitfull of a headphone amp.
The DAC is GEN5USB out to the amp for TIDAL/Qobuz/ROON/Audirvana.
Have 'unretired' a Yamaha c750 dvd/dvd-a/sacd/cd changer RCA out to the amp and a Harman/Kardon HDCD fl8370 changer coaxial out to the DAC.
Have an ME2 speaker RCA out to the amp.
have digital optical out from my cablebox to the DAC
My world is complete-- Jerry and the boys never sounded so GOOD- clear open separated(so to speak)-- especially via Sennheiser HD598s and RS-195s and those speakers are no slouches either.
thanks again US Blues!
Old 11-16-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbmd View Post
@Puma Cat and all others who responded to my query: I have been in possession of the Yggdrasil GS and Ragnarok 2 just the amp mated with a pair of Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors for a little more than a week.
Have 'unretired' a Yamaha c750 dvd/dvd-a/sacd/cd changer RCA out to the amp and a Harman/Kardon HDCD fl8370 changer coaxial out to the DAC.
My world is complete-- Jerry and the boys never sounded so GOOD- clear open separated(so to speak)-- especially via Sennheiser HD598s and RS-195s and those speakers are no slouches either.
thanks again US Blues!
How do you like the Studio HDs with that setup? I used to run an Yggdrasil v1 into an original Ragnarok to power headphones and a pair of KEF LS50s. The combination was good, but I felt the KEFs were better when I added a dedicated power amp. I'm curious how you like the Studio HDs in general and what you think of the setup. I was toying with the idea of picking up a pair of those for my smaller 2-channel system but I haven't found any good deals on a pair yet.

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4B³, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 11-16-2019, 12:38 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbmd View Post
thanks again US Blues!
Really glad to hear its working out, Bob.

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:01 AM

@DVass13 thank you for the reply my setup is great the HD's are wonderful the clarity separation etc are astounding-- Dire Straits the Dead etc are like I never heard them before.
They are especially good with acoustic classical and movie themes-thought they were a bit 'harsh' with certain hard rock stuff but I think the determining factor is the source recording itself --my ripped cd's and dvd-a's don't sound as good ie harsh on some recordings as the actual cd's sacds dvd-a played through one the changers or as good as my self made 800+ playlists from TIDAL/Qobuz
Have played with the toggle switches on the back of speakers for bass and treble gain haven't made up my mind if they make much difference-my living room is odd shaped and I think 'bright' and haven't decoded on speaker height wall distance etc.Right now they are 3" off the floor on wooden blocks on heavy oriental scatter rugs and they are as good sounding as when i had them 20" high.
I waited almost 15 years for these speakers and in my opinion are fantastic buys-I bought mine through a dealer in vestal ny (associated with the mcintosh facility in binghamton ny) the list price was $1795 AudioClassics gave me 200$ off saved the NYS tax. The Schiit Ragnarok 2 is definitely a difference maker for the speakers as is the DAC. And like I said the amp is a superb headphone amp.
thanks for the reply bobbmd
@Puma Cat: thanks for the reply