AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 10-15-2014, 08:10 PM

I haven't listened to this disc in several years--whoa! I forgot what incredibly lacerating playing Abbado elicits from the LSO in Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin. The sound is superb, too. (Maybe that's partly a function of my awesome new CD/SACD player!)

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
I still check in from time to time to gather some new ideas on material, but you folks are so past me that I'm content to just lurk. Thanks for the ideas on new material!
Regards,
Jim
Me too Jim - but I sure love the music.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
This morning I'm enjoying

Rameau: Premier Livre de pièces de clavecin (1706): suite in A minor, Pièces de clavecin (1724, rev. 1731): suites in E minor & D minor performed by Sophie Yates on the harpsichord

I love the sound of the harpsichord. So lively, bright and sharp. Perfect early morning music in my opinion. These pieces display a youthful brilliance that relies heavily on ornamentation. Ms. Yates raises up to the challenges of these scores and the Chandos 20-bit recording captures the music-making delightfully.
For me there is no much better music than a harpsichord to wind down the day (or start the day). Such rich, sharp, lovely sound.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 PM

Listening to . . . Russian Violin Concertos - Khachaturian, Prokofiev, Glazunov

Julia Fischer - Violin
Russian National Orchesra - Yakov Kreizberg, Conductor

I never much liked this SACD, but since so many of you have given it glowing reviews, I'm giving it another shot tonight.

Well, about halfway through, and I still don't much like it. Julia Fischer is definitely up to her high standard of professionalism and the big Russian orchestra sounds pretty terrific - but, maybe I just don't get the music. Heard it all before, hearing it again now . . and frankly, I just can't wait for the darn thing to be over. Like watching grass grow . . . to me . . . torture . . . boring . . . death by music . . . . . Julia Fischer is a pretty girl though.

Oh well, maybe next time. (but, don't hold your breath - waiting for me to play it again.)

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Listening to . . . Russian Violin Concertos - Khachaturian, Prokofiev, Glazunov

Julia Fischer - Violin
Russian National Orchesra - Yakov Kreizberg, Conductor

I never much liked this SACD, but since so many of you have given it glowing reviews, I'm giving it another shot tonight.

Well, about halfway through, and I still don't much like it. Julia Fischer is definitely up to her high standard of professionalism and the big Russian orchestra sounds pretty terrific - but, maybe I just don't get the music. Heard it all before, hearing it again now . . and frankly, I just can't wait for the darn thing to be over. Like watching grass grow . . . to me . . . torture . . . boring . . . death by music . . . . . Julia Fischer is a pretty girl though.

Oh well, maybe next time. (but, don't hold your breath - waiting for me to play it again.)

Julian - I've had a few discs like that. No need to punish yourself listening to unappealing music. Best thing to do is to donate the Khacha...whatchamacallit disc to the local public library and then go home and enjoy one of the 1000s of discs you do like
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 AM

Now this recording of a violin and and a chamber orchestra, I do like . . . .

Listening to . . . J. S. Bach - Violin Concertos in A minor BWV 1041 and E minor BWV1042.

Rachel Podger - Violin
Brecon Baroque

Lots of folks have done these concerti and I guess I have lots of recordings of the same . . . but the Channel Classics sound and the quality of the recording itself makes this particular disc stand out a bit . . and Podger is no slouch on her violin and neither are the members of her little band of musicians on their period instruments.

Recorded by Channel Classics in an excellent venue for great sound - The St John the Evangelist Church, Upper Norwood London, this thing is great and I recommend it highly.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:45 PM

Listening to . . Respighi - The Pines of Rome, The Fountains of Rome

Minneapolis Symphony - Antal Dorati, Conductor

A Mercury Living Presence Stereo LP, recorded in 1953 by Wilma Cozart and Robert Fine

Wow, this recording is great. One of the first Living Presence Stereo recordings and it surely set the standard for the Mercury recordings to follow. Excellent sound, superb performances.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:09 PM

It would be hard to imagine better recorded or more vibrant performances.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
It would be hard to imagine better recorded or more vibrant performances.

John - what about the Linn SACD? I always use this set as the benchmark for good sound and great music.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 PM

Carlos, I haven't heard it, but based on my experience, The Avison usually takes a rather laid-back approach--hardly an attribute that I'd apply to Combattimento Consort Amsterdam!

Last edited by Toccata; 10-16-2014 at 10:50 PM.