AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM

Default My ET5 does not seem to have enough volume steps on the low end ...

Late at night I like to play music low and I've noticed even from step 0 to step 1 on the volume scale of my ET5 can be too loud at times. Also, it does not seem there is a linear progression of volume steps as I step through the scale. Sometimes when I change the volume going down, I don't perceive as much volume change as when I go up the scale. Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Joe.......This has always been an issue with stepped attenuators. The only way around it is to have a custom built attenuator specific to your volume needs.....$$$.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 PM

I'd contact CJ, it may be as simple as a resistor swap in the pre or amp.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM

Thanks Dan!

I guess I could always use the variable output of my MCD1100 to compensate. At that point, it's just background music.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Thanks Mike, I'll call them and see what's up.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
That might be more complex than one might think. The volume attenuators in C-J preamps are microprocessor controlled relays that select from a network of precision, low noise, metal foil film resistors...might be more difficult to get into than one might think.

I would just leave things alone.

Also, if you mod your preamp, the resale value will drop.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
That might be more complex than one might think. The volume attenuators in C-J preamps are microprocessor controlled relays that select from a network of precision, low noise, metal foil film resistors...might be more difficult to get into than one might think.

I would just leave things alone.

Also, if you mod your preamp, the resale value will drop.
I would never do that, but will call CJ.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Late at night I like to play music low and I've noticed even from step 0 to step 1 on the volume scale of my ET5 can be too loud at times. Also, it does not seem there is a linear progression of volume steps as I step through the scale. Sometimes when I change the volume going down, I don't perceive as much volume change as when I go up the scale. Any ideas?
Hummmm, very interesting.

Just as a point of reference, 85% of my listening is between 10 and 25 on the ET-5 readout. I run digital input from W4S-DAC-2 fixed at max output.
I also occasional run BDP-95, which generally speaking seems to have roughly same level out as the W4S, meaning the 10-25 setting still applies.

In my case, can't say I ever listen down below 10 as that is very quiet down there.

The Maggie 3.7s probably help in my case being so inefficient.
Do your power amps have any input level controls?

There are high-quality in-line attenuators available, in the past with another system I used a set of 10DB attenuators from Rothwell Audio Products. If you would like to experiment just shoot me a note and I'll send'em to you.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:59 AM

Hi Joe

I think the cj unity gain is sround 64 or something on the volume. the steps are .7db. You have around 44db of attenuation.

You need to check the total gain of your system. I believe your Klips and Nola's are high gain. not sure about the Burmester. the cj is quite high gain.

Add that to the high CD output and you probably have a LOT of gain in your system. Does the CD have variable output?

I do not think cj can do anything without affecting sound quality. I have asked them in the past. If you use ARC pre amp - each different gain has a different sound :-(

hence the struggle on the vol control.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 AM

Rayoo,
I have a question regarding the Oppo 95 and your W4S DAC 2, are you using your Oppo as a transport going to your W4S? how is the sound with the oppo connect to the dac?
I am looking to get a dac for my oppo 95 I like the oppo sound but want to take it up to another level especially dynamic, soundstage and more bass.
Thanks in advance