AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Hi Coppy, can you give us please more informations on Symposium which you use under your CJ amp ?
Hi Philippe,

I just noticed your question to me in this exchange... sorry to have not responded sooner. My LP140s sit on the floor near the Sashas and I'm using Symposium Ultra platforms under them. The GAT is in the stack you see in the avitar and is on a set of symposium rollerblocks. The TEA1bc sits on the shelf without additional vibration protection. Maybe should do more there. When I have the Premier 350 unit out it sits on a four inch thick maple block with heavy brass pointed footers. (from the MapleShade folks oddly, they too are local here.) That mostly keeps the air circulating around it for better cooling vs. sitting on carpet. I once had a Carver Amp that came with a heavy piece of glass that accomplished the same ventilation purpose. As you know, CJD does suspend vibration critical boards within the equipment so not sure how much more in necessary but the stack I'm using has glass shelves so the rollerblocks seem to help a bit.

What are you using for the phono preamp? Think anything is necessary there?

Bob
Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Bob,
I think anything you can do to provide maximal signal integrity with phono signals is worthwhile. FWIW, I have my EAR phono stage on a thin, light plywood record divider shelf resting on a small inner tube. I've also had this resting on homemade rollerblocks between the EAR and the shelf (again on the inner tube), and this works well, too, but is inconvenient when switching out interconnects as often as I have been doing lately with multiple tables. Really got to get at least one more phono stage.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Hi Philippe,

I just noticed your question to me in this exchange... sorry to have not responded sooner. My LP140s sit on the floor near the Sashas and I'm using Symposium Ultra platforms under them. The GAT is in the stack you see in the avitar and is on a set of symposium rollerblocks. The TEA1bc sits on the shelf without additional vibration protection. Maybe should do more there. When I have the Premier 350 unit out it sits on a four inch thick maple block with heavy brass pointed footers. (from the MapleShade folks oddly, they too are local here.) That mostly keeps the air circulating around it for better cooling vs. sitting on carpet. I once had a Carver Amp that came with a heavy piece of glass that accomplished the same ventilation purpose. As you know, CJD does suspend vibration critical boards within the equipment so not sure how much more in necessary but the stack I'm using has glass shelves so the rollerblocks seem to help a bit.

What are you using for the phono preamp? Think anything is necessary there?

Bob
Bob...thanks

I have the Linn Urika Phonostage inside the LP12, nos suspension / isolation needed :
from the Linn website :
The Linn Urika moving coil phono stage fits snugly inside the Sondek LP12 and works with the Linn Radikal motor upgrade to deliver a new benchmark in LP12 peformance.

With the phono stage located within the plinth itself, mounted on a new Trampolin design, signal loss and noise are minimised, ensuring a new level of clarity and detail.

Urika features a dual mono design which ensures consistent reproduction of the music on each channel without any potential crosstalk.

Direct coupled RCA or transformer coupled XLR outputs allow you to choose the best connection option for your system and guarantees exceptional performance in all conditions.

Urika is powered by Radikal, our LP12 SE DC motor upgrade, and together these upgrades will take you to an entirely new level of musical accuracy and enjoyment.

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Shane,
On a lark while listening to the P5 last night, I put my Synergistics Research MiGs under my Pr17. I tried this when I first got them, but didn't like them under the preamp. It improved the detail but make the sound too analytical. Well, for some reason either due to positioning, orientation, or the fact they are now on a board resting on Herbies lampblack balls and silicone cups rather than directly on the rack shelf, I thought they brought an improvement. The sound took on a richer, smoother, and fuller tone. Don't know if this will hold up on extended listening with other types of sources or content, but it was interesting to note the improvement.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Shane,
On a lark while listening to the P5 last night, I put my Synergistics Research MiGs under my Pr17. I tried this when I first got them, but didn't like them under the preamp. It improved the detail but make the sound too analytical. Well, for some reason either due to positioning, orientation, or the fact they are now on a board resting on Herbies lampblack balls and silicone cups rather than directly on the rack shelf, I thought they brought an improvement. The sound took on a richer, smoother, and fuller tone. Don't know if this will hold up on extended listening with other types of sources or content, but it was interesting to note the improvement.
Stephen
Very interesting....the cup orientation seems to influence the performances a lot, try cups up under the transformers and cup downward for the 3rd device
In the last HI-FI + we find an article of MColloms on the MIGs
'I baulked at the price until I heard them, since for me they have had a greater effect on the sound of familiar electronics than any similar device I've tried previously. I agree with the claim that placing most or all cups up enhance the presence and provide incisive definition, the reverse provides greater stereo depth and clearer ambience.....Under my Ausio Research reference 3 preamp I also heard significantly better bass timing, definition and extension, a happy bonus, and so obviously better than the standard polymer feet.'
HiFi Critic recommended product

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Stephen
Very interesting....the cup orientation seems to influence the performances a lot, try cups up under the transformers and cup downward for the 3rd device
Hi Philippe, this is exactly the orientation I used last night; two cups up near the transformer at the back of the preamp, and one cup down at the front of the preamp.

Seems to have worked well.

There was a very slight ringing component to the Grace on the P5, and the MIGs seem to have tamed this. Actually, I think there is a ringing component on many metal-bodied cartridges; I think my Shelter has a bit of a ringing component to it as well. I think this is why wood-bodied cartridges have become so popular in the last few years with so many manufacturers.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Shane,
Stephen, There is one known fact in audio. Everthing makes a difference!!

It is just figuring out if the change is better for the long term or not.

Another strange one, just like you experienced here is when you try something, don't like it. Then a period of time later try it again and for some reason it sounds a lot better - or still sounds shitty
Old 10-31-2011, 04:52 PM

ordered Stillpoints today for the GAT....

l
Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
ordered Stillpoints today for the GAT....

Excellent

I liked what they did on the ART3. Did not like what they did on my prem 8a's.

Gotta try 3 of them under the GAT soon, as they are just sitting on the ground. Have not tried yet as its still breaking in, so sometimes difficult to know what is doing what.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Bingo..... I am not an enthusiast of the audiophiles accessories but stillpoints makes extraordinary things, my GAT passes in supersonic mode: hypertransparency, holographic image, position and movements of the interpreters on stage, attacks, decays, micro informations..... I am impressed
I was sceptical because Finite Elemente shelves are already spiked vertically and horizontally...
so I ordered another set for my LP12 external supply

l