AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Default Which support for CJ tube power?

Thought I would seek your opinions on CJ tube power amp support. I currently have my amp in a MusicTools rack with heavy wooden shelves. I am thinking if further vibration isolation would be beneficial. Something like Sorbothene or Vibrapods.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 AM

I am curious to hear the replies here. While I know good, solid, vibration free supports are important, I've never actively made a conscious effort to totally isolate components and try to keep vibration to a minimum. I appreciate in advance everyone's comments.

Joe
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM

I isolate all my lighter gear (preamps, digital) and it has good benefits to the sound. Power amps especially tubes are more dificult in this regard because of the weight.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
Thought I would seek your opinions on CJ tube power amp support. I currently have my amp in a MusicTools rack with heavy wooden shelves. I am thinking if further vibration isolation would be beneficial. Something like Sorbothene or Vibrapods.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
I use the Sorbothane feet on most everything, I think they go up to 65lb size, which may not be enough for big amps.

Edit: I just checked, it appears they make a size for up to 65 lbs per pad...so that would supposedly handle heavy-metal pwr amps.

Last edited by Rayooo; 09-30-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM

I don't know about tube power amps, but I've tried Sorbothane pucks, Vibrapods, and Aurios under my tubed Premier 17LS, which in each of three different rooms has occupied a wood-shelved wood cabinet.

With the Sorbothane pucks in place, the irritating audible nasties on some digital recordings seemed to be tamed, but the overall presentation on both vinyl and digital playback suffered a loss of detail, sounding somewhat mushy and over-homogenized. With Vibrapods, I could hear little if any difference from what I could hear with the 17LS on its stock feet.

As indicated in another thread, with extended listening I noted the addition of a very slight metallic cast to the sound when I put the 17LS on Aurios. That disappeared when I removed the Aurios, but that easier-on-the-ears "remedy" also removed a noticeable increase in detail, spaciousness, and transient quickness. I decided to have another go with the Aurios and discovered that by locating each of the front two a slight distance further apart and a little further back under the chassis the metallic patina disappeared, while all the good things the isolators brought to the table returned. I've since put my other set of them under my Oppo BDP-83, and digital playback has benefitted accordingly.

Placing Final Labs Darumas them under my diminutive Graham Slee phono preamp (it's a very tight fit) has given vinyl playback an equivalent performance bump. I mention them because they're similar in design and operation to Symposium Rollerblocks, and given the improvment I hear with them on vinyl, Rollerblocks might be something you want to consider for amp isolation.

Jim

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Stillpoints is the way to go IMO. I have not tried on my amps, but I will. front end they are wonderful.

I agree with Jim, sorbathane and vibrapods suck the life out of the music.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 PM

I will try to get the Stillpoints. They are not sold locally where I live. Will try mail order from the US.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Stillpoints is the way to go IMO. I have not tried on my amps, but I will. front end they are wonderful.

I haven't tried the Stillpoints on my gear but would like to. I've bought the Herbie's lampblack balls and silicone cups that were designed specifically for tube amps. I had them placed directly under my LP70S qmp for a while, but the lampblack balls marked up the surface texture of the powder coating on the bottom plate of the chassis, so I took them out. I was pretty pissed about that. I know have them under my Premier 17LS, but separated by a light, birch plywood board. I will probably try the Herbie's Tenderfoot isolation blocks under the amp at some point in time.

Like someone else here, I tried some solid metal footers, the Synergistics MIGs under my Premier 17, but I found they added a metallic, ringing component to the sound that I ultimately decided I did not like. They worked the best under my EAR834P phono stage, but right now I am not using them at all.

The best isolation technique I've found overall, believe it or not, is to put a bicycle inner tube under a component. What I find works well is to put the component on a light plywood board that is placed on the inner tube. The inner tube should be inflated just enough to keep the board from compressing the tube to the valve stem. Putting my gear on an inner tube invariably gives it an airier, smoother and more open quality. Right now my Rega Planar 3 and my EAR834P phono stage are both sitting on a plywood board resting on an inner tube.

I'd love to get a Stillpoints for my amp, but they are pretty pricey.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-02-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post

I have now tried the stillpoints under my amps. Frankly, I did not like what I heard. It seemed to take away a bit of the drive that I get from the rubber feet.

Definately not the same level of improvement I have seen on my front end components.

I may try again, after my GAT has some more hours on it. With only two pairs, it is a bit difficult as you are robbing Peter to pay Paul. I guess I need to buy one more 2nd hand set of 3.

Stephen, I agree re metal footers. Every metal footer i have tried has given the same results you have heard. Stillpoints are different thou, on fronmt end at least

cheers
Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

The best isolation technique I've found overall, believe it or not, is to put a bicycle inner tube under a component. What I find works well is to put the component on a light plywood board that is placed on the inner tube. The inner tube should be inflated just enough to keep the board from compressing the tube to the valve stem. Putting my gear on an inner tube invariably gives it an airier, smoother and more open quality. Right now my Rega Planar 3 and my EAR834P phono stage are both sitting on a plywood board resting on an inner tube.
Thanks PC, I have heard about the bicycle tube before but never really tried it. I will give it a try this week. Its s simple and cheap solution that makes sense. Have you trier the tube directly under the component (i.e. without the additional plywood board)? I am not sure I have enough height to insert an additional board.