AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-28-2022, 09:01 AM

The amp is running fine. Listening to it right now this early Saturday morning. I don't know what happened to produce that shut down on the left channel. Obviously the sentry monitor found something it didn't like. On one hand it's comforting to know the amp has this safety feature. On the other not knowing why the amp did shut down makes me wonder if it might happen again.

Sorry about the video quality. I might have made a bad codec choice in processing it. Probably could use a better camera than the Hero 8. Opportunity for a new toy!
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 05-28-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Freddie, fantastic video. I am looking forward to the open reel video. I have my amps so that I can reconnect to my 1.25's from my 3500's in less than 10 minutes (really about 5 minutes) per amp.

Speaker connection, balanced input (IC), and power cord from one amp to the other each channel.

I think many don't realize the value of redundancy. It provides piece of mind. All high end gear is unreliable to some extent. I will never sell my 1.25's for this reason. Who knows what might have caused the startup issue? You have excellent redundancy.

I think one of the significant advantages of Mac pre's and integrated's is the built-in DAC. Absolutely, there are better DAC's but it is a fine DAC and a wonderful backup should a failure occur.

You now have a beautiful, gorgeous, spectacular system. The room is beautiful. I honestly can't say I have seen better. The MA8000 sitting behind and above the 1502 is stunning, as is the rest of the gear.

You are 100% correct about the 8-ohm tap.

Best

Charles
Thank you for the kind words Charles. Your advice on the 8 ohm taps has proved to be spot on.

I too like the luxury of redundancy with the MA8000. So far pairing the SS preamp with the tube amp is working out quite well. I'm not sure a lot of people would consider that a normal way to go, but it's working out for me so I'm happy. For now of course.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 05-28-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Freddie,
I did not watch the full video. I watch about half - what are you referring to that caused the pucker panic?

Kevin
Sorry Kevin. You needed to go a bit further than half. I try to keep videos under 10 minutes because viewer fatigue comes in when dealing with amateur content. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that my vids even reach the level of amateur.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Thank you for the kind words Charles. Your advice on the 8 ohm taps has proved to be spot on.

I too like the luxury of redundancy with the MA8000. So far pairing the SS preamp with the tube amp is working out quite well. I'm not sure a lot of people would consider that a normal way to go, but it's working out for me so I'm happy. For now of course.
Freddie, I use a SS D1100 for my pre and DAC. I actually would prefer the SS pre over the tube pre. I would think long and hard about replacing your amplification if I were you. I don't know if you accomplished your system by a well thought out plan or sort of stumbled into it, but what you have is close to perfect.

Probably a combination of both (as with almost all of us, Ivan being the exception) and also the perfect gear must become available at the right time. The MA8000/1502 is perfect for your system, including your speakers.

For your next upgrade I would go with the largest Canton. Tube amps are very different than SS. The quality of sound does not change as the tube amp approaches clipping.

Dan D'Agostino's 10% rule with SS amps will never change. That's why the Relentless is called the largest small amp in the world: it is 100% true Class A for the first 99 watts. This covers 99% of the power needed for reasonably efficient speakers. IMO, SS Class A is the absolute best, but there is a huge price to pay.

With a tube amp like the 1502 you get at least 150 beautiful tube watts (the amp will do at least 200 at the 8 ohm tap) of constant quality all the way up to clipping. I believe you could run a Reference 1K with a 1502 easily.

I have been able to turn my XVX up to ridiculous levels with my 3500 (350 plus watts both channels) with no signs of distress whatsoever or change in sonics. In general, SS amps need to loaf along to sound their best, not so with well designed tube amps. That's the magic of tubes, IMO, among other things.

Best

Charles

p.s. Mac makes two stand alone Phono pre's.

Last edited by Charles; 05-28-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:25 PM

Your videos are great Freddie. Thanks for the timeline. Hmmm….I suggest sending the pic/video to Chuck Hinton at McIntosh. Usually that would indicate a left channel tube gone/going bad. My new C1100 had a weak tube on the right channel out of the box. Luckily I had spare GL on hand to replace in the controller unit. A quick email to Chuck will help to at least give some peace of mind.

Last edited by miner; 05-28-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Your videos are great Freddie. Thanks for the timeline. Hmmm….I suggest sending the pic/video to Chuck Hinton at McIntosh. Usually that would indicate a left channel tube gone/going bad. My new C1100 had a weak tube on the right channel out of the box. Luckily I had spare GL on hand to replace in the controller unit. A quick email to Chuck will help to at least give some peace of mind.
If you have his contact info you can shoot me a pm and I will email it to him.

It's no big deal. I have the service managers contact info should I need to contact him.

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 05-28-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:31 PM

Keep us posted on what McIntosh says. I had an MC275VI do the same thing one time and I never truly figured out why.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
Keep us posted on what McIntosh says. I had an MC275VI do the same thing one time and I never truly figured out why.
I don't think it's a big deal. The manual indicates the Sentry Monitor is also looking for impedence mis-matches with the amps speaker connections and/or speaker terminals and I think other voltage irregularities. In my view, if a tube were bad, the Sentry Monitor would not cycle off as mine did immediately.

I just finished an incredibly epic session of all of Beethoven's 9 Symphonies and the amp performed flawlessly. Ludwig is a pretty fine gent too, btw.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:58 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Freddie, could you give us a little more info on the Beethoven symphonies. I have all 9 symphonies but they are on different discs. Thanks
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 05-28-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
Freddie, could you give us a little more info on the Beethoven symphonies. I have all 9 symphonies but they are on different discs. Thanks
Jack, I have it on my server. Truthfully, it's been quite a long time ago, so I don't remember where I got it from. FWIW, here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beethoven.jpg (99.1 KB, 26 views)