AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 11-25-2022, 05:34 PM

Default SabrinaX to Sasha DAW?

Hello,

One year ago, I asked for your advice to build stereo system with SabrinaX in this thread.
https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50562

Here is the tldr of my current system:
* Speakers: SabrinaX
* Amp: McIntosh MA12000
* Digital only: Optical Rendu, Qobuz and Roon
* Listening room: W 12' x L 16' x H 12'

While I have been very happy with the above system, I am thinking about the next logical step in upgrading it.

At the time, some of you mentioned that SabrinaX can use subwoofers to help its bottom end.
After living with SabrinaX for almost a year, I agree with the above recommendation.

Instead of adding subwoofers, I am thinking to trade SabrinaX with Sasha DAW after listening to the DAW at my dealer.
In addition to better bottom end, I think Sasha DAW has fuller vocal body.

Attached are the picture of the room and the layout.

My questions:
1. Given the choice of adding a pair of subwoofers vs. upgrading to Sasha DAW, which one would you choose?
If the room can accommodate Sasha DAW, I feel that I should prioritize upgrading to Sasha DAW.

2. Given the room size, do you think Sasha DAW will be too big?

3. If it is not too big, given the room size, would you place it on the short wall or long wall?

4. Placing it on the long wall will put my listening chair to be very close to the wall. I presume the advantage is I will get better soundstage.
What would be the disadvantage of sitting and listening very close to the back wall?

5. My dealer gave me a quote for his Sasha DAW (probably 2 years old or so) as demo item with full warranty and my SabrinaX as well.
Do you know if the prices dictated by WA or is it up to dealer's discretion?

Thank you in advance and for US based members - happy thanksgiving!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SabrinaX.jpg (81.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg ListeningRoom.jpg (75.8 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Blackfield; 11-26-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:53 PM
Retired

Looking at your pic, the first upgrade I would make before new speakers would be room treatments.

If you are committed to new speakers then they would/should go in approximately the same position as your SabrinaX. It is my understanding that purchasing Wilson from an authorized dealer is they do the install/set-up as part of the purchase and should get it "right" at that time.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-25-2022, 08:52 PM

Honestly I don’t think this is too big for your room as my room is 12.5 x 13.5 and my Amati Futura are a good fit there……. I am now considering the Alexia V but I need to listen to them first. I have heard they Saha and the were great!
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer

Last edited by jfray; 11-25-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:58 PM

I asked about the Alexia V with someone now at Wilson that has setup my Amati Futuras three or four different times so he knows my room well……. He said it’s a big step up from my current situation. Wilson is impressive and dang it $$$$ I see these in my future
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 11-26-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Looking at your pic, the first upgrade I would make before new speakers would be room treatments.

If you are committed to new speakers then they would/should go in approximately the same position as your SabrinaX. It is my understanding that purchasing Wilson from an authorized dealer is they do the install/set-up as part of the purchase and should get it "right" at that time.
Yes, my plan is to add room treatments after all of these (speakers color, positions, etc) are more settled.

The dealer will set it up. When he installed the SabrinaX originally, he offered to set it up on the long wall as an alternative.

I just found this from Sasha DAW manual -

Our experience has shown that any listening position that places your head closer than 14” from a wall will diminish the sonic results of
your listening due to the deleterious effects of boundary interactio
n

In 12 feet wide room, it will be a challenge to have listening position further than 14" as the back of the speakers will likely need to be at least 2' from the front wall, then, the distance between the tweeters and ears will likely at least be 9 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
Honestly I don’t think this is too big for your room as my room is 12.5 x 13.5 and my Amati Futura are a good fit there……. I am now considering the Alexia V but I need to listen to them first. I have heard they Saha and the were great!
Nice, please do post your room.
I have not heard Alexia V either - however it is out of my price range atm so I don't want to be tempted either, .

Last edited by Blackfield; 11-26-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:28 PM

It seems your speaker placement in the room is good. The Sasha will be a definite improvement over the Sabrina but I think adding a subwoofer isn’t a bad idea going in either direction. If I had to pick I would do the Sasha without a sub……

“The listening position should ideally be no more than 1.1 to 1.25 times the distance between the tweeters on each speaker. Therefore, in a long, rectangular room of 12’ x 18’, if the speaker tweeters are going to be 9’ apart, you should be sitting 9’11’’ to 11’3’’ from the speaker. This would be more than halfway down the long axis of the room.
Many people place the speakers on one end and sit at the other end of the room. This approach will not yield the finest sound. Carefully consider your listening position. Our experience has shown that any listening position that places your head closer than 14” from a wall will diminish the sonic results of your listening due to the deleterious effects of boundary interaction.”

Old 11-27-2022, 12:35 PM

My belief is that your room may be too small for subs to fit in comfortably without room treatments. I think you are on the right track to think about a DAW without subs. With subs, you might need to move the speakers out into the room further necessitating moving the sitting position closer to the rear wall, not a good idea. You should have plenty of bass with a DAW. If you choose to go with subs you will need room treatments. I suspect that the reason you have such good results sonically is that you have an abundance of room behind your sitting position.

Best,

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 11-27-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My belief is that your room may be too small for subs to fit in comfortably without room treatments. I think you are on the right track to think about a DAW without subs. With subs, you might need to move the speakers out into the room further necessitating moving the sitting position closer to the rear wall, not a good idea. You should have plenty of bass with a DAW. If you choose to go with subs you will need room treatments. I suspect that the reason you have such good results sonically is that you have an abundance of room behind your sitting position.

Best,

Charles

Thank you, Charles - your inputs are highly appreciated, as always.

I am going to rule out placing the speakers on the long wall due to to the listening position being to close to the wall.

I will proceed with upgrading to Sasha DAW and add room treatments down the road.

The remaining question is whether it is at dealer's discretion in determining prices for the demo unit and my speakers or if they are set by Wilson Audio. I can ask Wilson Audio directly on this.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:45 PM
Life is beautiful

Good luck with your journey.

The ideal path will be: Sashas, room treatment (absolutely!!), and... subs.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-27-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfield View Post
Thank you, Charles - your inputs are highly appreciated, as always.

I am going to rule out placing the speakers on the long wall due to to the listening position being to close to the wall.

I will proceed with upgrading to Sasha DAW and add room treatments down the road.

The remaining question is whether it is at dealer's discretion in determining prices for the demo unit and my speakers or if they are set by Wilson Audio. I can ask Wilson Audio directly on this.
This is the wise path. It is surprising just how good Wilson's can sound without room treatments. Your listening position is ideal with plenty of room behind the sitting position. You will have plenty of excellent bass. Congratulations!!!