AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM

Dennis and Georges,

Thanks for your great suggestion. I am always frustrated by my photos. I keep thinking it is the camera--yeah, right--but I know it is the photographer.

I will check out your excellent suggestion.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2014, 04:07 PM

Ron, I'm now reading Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Composition Field Guide" and I find it very well written too. The best part is that I feel like I can take what I'm learning and apply it to my photography. I really like the way he convey's information and will almost certainly take a course or two from him.

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 AM

Dennis, wow, I just looked at his website and so many of his courses are sold out. He teaches around the world. Man, that is so cool. If he comes to Thailand, I will consider joining one of his classes.

In any case, I will get one or more of his books the next time I go to the bookstore.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 AM

Ron, you have Gavin Gough who is based in Bangkok and does many workshop from beginners all the way to pro. I would take one of his classes if I were in Bangkok.

Gavin Gough: Freelance Travel Photographer
Old 03-22-2014, 05:16 AM

Philip Kerr. Best historical thriller writer along with Follett. A German detective from the 30's and his adventures during and after the war, Argentina, Cuba etc.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:09 AM

I'm currently reading "The Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny. Read it several times but felt it was time to read it again.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Currently reading King and Maxwell by David Baldacchi.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio times View Post
Philip Kerr. Best historical thriller writer along with Follett. A German detective from the 30's and his adventures during and after the war, Argentina, Cuba etc.

Just read my first Philip Kerr novel last month, "A Man Without Breath." Excellent book. I'm going to read the Bernie Gunther series from the beginning, just ordered the first two books. Also like Follett's historical pieces. "Winter of the World" is on my short list after enjoying "Fall of Giants."

If you (or anyone else here) has similar good historical fiction to recommend, I'm interested.

Paul
Old 03-22-2014, 11:03 PM

Recently read "The Perfectionist" by Rudolph Chelminski, a book about the great French chef Bernard Loiseau who committed suicide a few years ago, the great restaurants of France, and the Michelin system and the politics and intrigue. A fascinating read if you fancy yourself a foodie and love French cooking.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio badger View Post

Just read my first Philip Kerr novel last month, "A Man Without Breath." Excellent book. I'm going to read the Bernie Gunther series from the beginning, just ordered the first two books. Also like Follett's historical pieces. "Winter of the World" is on my short list after enjoying "Fall of Giants."

If you (or anyone else here) has similar good historical fiction to recommend, I'm interested.

Paul
I've read nearly all of Follett's books, the 1st was Night over Water, which was great. They have all been rapid and pleasing page turners. WOTW carries on from FOG, with the odd high school history fact not deflecting too much, he used an army of researchers with both to fine effect. The hippie terrorist one, Hammer of Eden, is a slow burner initially but worth it, plus it's all USA.I also enjoyed an early book, The Man from St Petersburg, as well. A place called Freedom is a saga of a Brit transported to slave in the cotton fields in the 1760's and how he fares etc, which I enjoyed. Jackdaws is also good, about a group of ladies sent to do a vital sabotage mission in France shortly before D Day, a bit like the Magnificent Seven in lace. The 1200's -1300's duo, World without End and The Pillars of the Earth, get rave reviews, I haven't read them yet.

Supposedly not from the top drawer are The Modigliani Scandal, and Paper Money, about the stock market. A Dangerous Fortune is about banking, and Triple is about cloning, just subject matter here I think, though they may be good. Whiteout had shades of The Shining, but was good, On Wings of Eagles is also good, about a CIA agent in Afghanistan in the 80's. You will enjoy WOTW as it only loses a couple of percentages points to FOG.

You don't need to start with the early Gunther books, he is a superb character and the later one's well and truly stand on their own as well, plus they go back to the 30's as well as their current time period. I am enjoying Field Grey,and The One from the Other, and, A Quiet Flame, were superb as well.