AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 AM
Rebellious!

Question [Projector & TV Combo set-ups] - How do you do it?

Thanks for attention

How do you run your Projector and TV from the same source? I know that there are many out there who would like to press the "Movie mode button" on their pre-programmed remote, the projector fires up and the screen comes down in front of their TV.

For those in the process of researching projector & tv combo setups. The limitations that many may have are:

My Receiver/pre/pro does not have dual HDMI "monitor out" Video outputs. How do I get additional video out with out loss of signal quality?

My Receiver/pre/pro does not have 12V trigger outputs, how do I automate the process?

What motorized projector screen? and How do I make sure that the projector screen has enough clearance in front of my TV?

Those with experience, it would be greatly appreciated if you could comment on your experience and potentially the best way to do get those who don't know into the projection arena.

Thanks

p.s. full HT Gallery shot here

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 05-23-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Hi Bill,

I have the same source splitting issue (my receiver does not support dual HDMI out either), so HDMI to my projector and component video to the plasma...I would assume you are doing the same? Now of course with new receivers, 2 out HDMI is pretty much standard, so when I next upgrade this problem is solved. I have been kind of leery trying to split the HDMI signal for loss of quality myself.

I also do not utilize a 12 volt trigger wire to my projector screen. I use a Da-Lite Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol and added the IR sensor to it. To roll it down, I programmed a macro into my Logitech Harmony 1000 remote and it rolls down when I choose the projector icon created.

As for clearance, my entertainment center luckily is tucked in a recess and is behind the drop line of the screen; the screen housing is mounted to the face of a cased in heating duct run which then meets the higher drop ceiling in my basement. In your case it looks like you will have to make sure the screen housing sticks out past the plane of your monitor.

Not sure if this is the norm, but works for me

Ryan
Old 05-25-2012, 03:40 AM
Rebellious!

Ryan,

Thanks! I have heard great things about your screen and remote! I will look into them.

Found a forum that has a good running list of dual output HDMI equipped electronics.

Google Search "Entry level receivers with multiple HDMI out" and you should find a popular forum that has this the same thread topic as your query.

I have found that the Marantz AV7005 and it's pricier but the same re-badged cousin "McIntosh MX121" to be the best consumer electronic offering at this time. Still, Yamaha and Onkyo sneak in there for well under MSRP of $900 with dual HDMI.

Is there anyway you would be willing to share a Flatscreen TV and a "Deployed" screen set of photos?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Ryan,

Thanks! I have heard great things about your screen and remote! I will look into them.

Found a forum that has a good running list of dual output HDMI equipped electronics.

Google Search "Entry level receivers with multiple HDMI out" and you should find a popular forum that has this the same thread topic as your query.

I have found that the Marantz AV7005 and it's pricier but the same re-badged cousin "McIntosh MX121" to be the best consumer electronic offering at this time. Still, Yamaha and Onkyo sneak in there for well under MSRP of $900 with dual HDMI.

Is there anyway you would be willing to share a Flatscreen TV and a "Deployed" screen set of photos?
Hi Bill,

I tried to do my homework before I added the projector and screen to avoid the issues discussed and did what made sense to me price wise and application. I intended to go the Stewart screen option, but perforated screen was 2-3x more than what I paid for the Da-Lite. Price for non perforated screen was pretty much in the same ballpark between the 2, but would not work for me. You may want to look into the Stewart as well for the screen...from what I am told they are top notch, but I have no complaints either with the Da-Lite I ended up with.

As far as my receiver, I am running Pioneer Elite for my entire theater (Receiver, Blu-Ray, Plasma & Projector). I am happy as well with these and they now offer standard dual HDMI with all their receiver options. I figured for as much as we watch the plamsa vs projector, I can wait for the upgrade to dual HDMI when the time comes.

I tried once (unsuccessful and not too much effort after the initial attempt) to post pix in a forum. If you can jot down a crash course for me I have no problem posting a couple pix. From your original post, it looks like you are a pro! Not sure if it matters or not, but I'm running a Mac........

Ryan
Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Rebellious!

Ryan, best way to share images is to post it to a photo sharing service. Then just copy past the address of the photo.

The second best is to use the 'paper clip' icon, next to the smiley, in the posting page of this forum and 'add' your photo. It's has it's limitations so when you save your photo, prior to uploading, it's got to be less than the limitations of size for this forum.

Glad you did your homework, the cynic in me always leans to the fact that we all buy 'shiny objects' then expect them to be a match made in heaven. So much in life can be made an example of my last comment.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Hey Bill,

The pics you used in your initial post are of my setup...kinda funny! Mine is a Dalite screen, same model as Ryan's...I didn't do anything fancy with remotes, I just use the actual remote when I want to watch a movie...my Classe Pre/Pro does have a dual HDMI output which makes it easier...but I think the higher end splitters are fine...

As for the distance issue, my Elite Plasma is on a standard mount (though there are lower profile ones available now...my screen is mounted about 4 inches out in front of it.

I hope that helps!!

Mike
Old 05-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Rebellious!

Mike,

I'm sure you get this all the time; You have a dream system. Every detail, from the furniture to the room to the gear.

My apologies, I thought I had credited you but I failed to do so.

Do you know of any quality HDMI splitters?

-Bill
Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM

Hey Bill...I believe DVDO makes one...I used their Edge product for awhile with my old cable box...it was a quality piece...
Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Just saw this thread, there are lots of ways to accomplish what you want to do.

I have tried just about every brand of HDMI splitter on the market, they have all dissappointed me.

Lumagen makes great products, take a look at them. They would definitely solve the video issue, and further improve your video.

I recommend a motorized Stewart screen. Creating a 12v trigger for the screen is easy, and inexpensive; look at the Niles LS-1.

Feel free to pm me if you need anything at all.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Just saw this thread, there are lots of ways to accomplish what you want to do.

I have tried just about every brand of HDMI splitter on the market, they have all disappointed me.

Lumagen makes great products, take a look at them. They would definitely solve the video issue, and further improve your video.

I recommend a motorized Stewart screen. Creating a 12v trigger for the screen is easy, and inexpensive; look at the Niles LS-1.

Feel free to pm me if you need anything at all.
I just saw your response! I will have a look at Lumagen and Niles. I'm on the move to make something happen!