AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 04-30-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMammal View Post
Thanks everyone for the encouraging replies!

I'll tell you what, I understand your love for them! The first day I got this thing home, I kept staring at it and enjoying tuning in station after station. It is the most interactive piece of equipment in our system, and it sounds phenomenal.

Thanks, I believe it! We are really enjoying it. I'm a technician HAM, KC8HCF, hoping to test for General & Extra this year! I also am thinking I may build some antennas to try out on the TU-9900. Any tips or proven stealth or attic antennas? We have a new to us house and I haven't had a chance to put a bunch of antennas in the attic yet, but I have plans to run some coax for external and attic antennas. I'm using the EZ-HD TV antenna mounted outside on the old satellite mount running to my patch panel in the basement. It's on the old cable amplifier from the previous owners so it can be distributed to any room to watch Broadcast TV (or in this case listen to the radio) & it is doing pretty well for the time being.

We are very, very happy with it. It sure has a lot of appeal. I'm so excited to have this 40+ year old piece of equipment in our main system. It has gotten a LOT of use in the past 4 days!

My wife was weary about the price, and I was planning on paying a significant amount of the cost out of my personal fun account as a result, but after seeing and experiencing it she agreed it could be a joint expense. That's quite an endorsement!

It is my favorite piece in our living room system and it looks phenomenal. It is pulling in quite a few stations we could not get with the little Crosley radio (no surprise there) and we even brought in a WY station despite the yagi antenna pointing SW in the Denver Metro area. It is almost a shame it is inside of a vented cabinet as I love staring at the thing, almost as much as listening to it and flipping the switches and turning the knob. I remember reading that some people stated it could be noisy but turning on the attenuation and noise filter rectifies this to the point I don't see any problem at all. (It's running with the Klipsch Forte III's which are pretty sensitive, and it sounds fantastic.)

I've read the manual and need to read the service manual as the frequency indicator is off a bit, but it looks like there are provisions for that inside.

That TU-717 looks very similar, I'm sure it sounds phenomenal as well! You should find a place for it for sure.

Cheers all, we're thrilled with it and so happy to join the ranks of those with tuners in their systems! Huzzah!

KC8HCF de W9TR

You asked about antennas. If most of the stations you listen to are coming from the same direction, I’d recommend a small 4 to 6 element yagi in the attic or better on the roof. I use a 6 element on the roof at our Wisconsin home and easily get the twin cities stations- we’re 60 to 80 miles away. Most FM stations are circularly polarized so the antenna can be oriented vertically or horizontally.

Happy listening!

BTW we live full time in Salida.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
KC8HCF de W9TR

You asked about antennas. If most of the stations you listen to are coming from the same direction, I’d recommend a small 4 to 6 element yagi in the attic or better on the roof. I use a 6 element on the roof at our Wisconsin home and easily get the twin cities stations- we’re 60 to 80 miles away. Most FM stations are circularly polarized so the antenna can be oriented vertically or horizontally.

Happy listening!

BTW we live full time in Salida.
W9TR de KC8HCF

Thanks for the tip on the antenna! That's pretty much the plan to point North as the 4 element TV yagi is doing a good job so far pointed at Lookout Mountain.

73!

Rogue Stereo 100 & RP-5, Klipsch Forte III, Sony PS-LX520, Sansui TU9900, Bluesound Node 2i, Dennis Had Inspire 6v6'er & LP-3a, Tannoy Mercury V1, Audeze LCD-3, Luxman P-1u, Schiit Magni Heresy, Modi3+, Loki, Eitr, Musical Fidelity M1-Dac (1st gen).
Old 05-11-2021, 08:28 AM
Subaholic

I don't listen to FM when I'm in my stereo room. Too many commercials, and the same songs, year after year.

I spend more time on HAM Radio W4SEX

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:30 PM

Hopefully I'll be dropping off my Mcintosh MR74 tuner for servicing at Audio Classics tomorrow morning. This will be my first trip to AC and I'm looking forward to having a freshly aligned and serviced vintage tuner once again.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie1dog View Post
I don't listen to FM when I'm in my stereo room. Too many commercials, and the same songs, year after year.

Depends on the kind of music you listen to. Classical stations, for example, tend to have minimal breaks in the programming and the playlist is quite varied.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:28 AM

Default FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie1dog View Post

College stations and others on the low end of dial are your friend
Old 05-12-2021, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearspot View Post
College stations and others on the low end of dial are your friend
Indeed they are. Hit or miss on the programming but more often than not they're the only stations on the dial worth listening to.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:11 PM

I have only 3 favorite stations.
But I have made an order of McIntosh MR87.
Now I am currently using Technics ST-8080, fully restored.

IMG_5353.jpg

Toga
Old 09-20-2021, 08:06 PM

Both look awesome. I only have three stations also, but love them. Looking forward to your report.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
I have only 3 favorite stations.
But I have made an order of McIntosh MR87.
Now I am currently using Technics ST-8080, fully restored.

Attachment 65411

Toga

That Technics is really cool.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2