AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 11-23-2020, 04:55 AM

Default External DAC

Hi, would like to get opinion for you guys. Will the sound be better if I get external Dac ? My Aurender come with single build-in Dac.

Last edited by jojo; 11-23-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:02 AM

Depends on the rest of your system. Which Aurender model, and would you be able to detail the rest of your audio components?
Old 11-24-2020, 05:53 AM

I am using A100 and rest of the system is Accuphase A47 power amp and Pre c2420 with DP550. Speaker is Contour S5.4

Last edited by jojo; 11-24-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:25 PM

Why not use the DAC in the DP550? You've paid for it...
Old 11-24-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Why not use the DAC in the DP550? You've paid for it...
Yes. I tried the Dac in the DP550. The sound quality is better than A100 Dac( Four HyperstreamTM ES9009 DAc’s vs Single AK4490 Dac) But thinking of getting stand alone Dac will be better than DP550 and A100?

Last edited by jojo; 11-24-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Yes. I tried the Dac in the DP550. The sound quality is better than A100 Dac( Four HyperstreamTM ES9009 DAc’s vs Single AK4490 Dac) But thinking of getting stand alone Dac will be better than DP550 and A100?
Yes, there are better DACs. There is always something better.
It will come at a great cost if you want something that would be meaningfully better. What is better? A DAC that will sound “different” because it uses a different chip set and filters?

I personally would not chase something that sits on the very slippery slope of diminishing returns. Unlike speakers, amplifiers, preamplifier and even a front end, digital evolves all the time.

A great speaker does not go obsolete. An expensive DAC might.

Streaming is getting very popular. If you use Tidal for example and believe in MQA, then a DAC that you bought yesterday is no good today. Ok you don’t have to listen to MQA, I don’t but there may be another change tomorrow.

If you like to use Roon, that streamer you bought yesterday may not be a Roon end point today...

In the end, lots of $$$ spent for a slightly different sound and it may be a waste tomorrow.

Having said all that, there are plenty of DACs that you can spend plenty of money on.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:59 AM

I agree with what PHC1 said about chasing something better, and fast obsolescense. That is actually why I did buy a dedicated DAC. I don't like the idea of packaging the DAC with a streamer and preamp for example. A perfectly good preamp now runs with an obsolete DAC or streamer. That's why I chose separate components for all three. One other way to go is a DAC whose firmware can be upgraded. Some of the Schiit DACS are designed to use modular chips. New technology. New chip, without having to buy a new DAC. That being said, I wound up with a Denafrips Pontus, which is an entirely different technology. Kind of an old idea made new and better. Not necessarily for everyone. But it really does sound like it has tubes inside. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:01 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Jojo,

Let's start with the basics:

1) What type of digital content do you have, e.g. PCM or DSD, or both. Will MQA be required?
2) What type of interface will you use? USB or S/PDIF or AES/EBU?
3) What's your budget?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Jojo,

Let's start with the basics:

1) What type of digital content do you have, e.g. PCM or DSD, or both. Will MQA be required?
2) What type of interface will you use? USB or S/PDIF or AES/EBU?
3) What's your budget?
1. All the three (PCM/DSD & MQA)
2. More to USB
3. Around 3k
Old 11-25-2020, 08:10 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
1. All the three (PCM/DSD & MQA)
2. More to USB
3. Around 3k
I'd consider then the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ for about $2300.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.