AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 07-26-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
F228Be's measure a solid -3dB down at 23 Hz in my room. Then again my room is pretty small and benefits from a good bit of room boundary reinforcement. I've auditioned the 228Be and 208 side by side using JC2 pre and JC5 amp. The 208 is very good but (in comparison) has some upper mid strain that is very evident on well recorded brass and lends a slight coloration to voices and strings. The 228Be is a bit tighter and deeper in the bass as well with better pitch definition and "tactile" realness on drums, acoustic bass, etc. Overall both are great speakers, but to me the 228Be opens up to a more "realistic" sound and provides a larger deeper soundstage. I could not live with the 208 because of the brass reproduction artifact (I am a trumpet player). Then again the 228Be should be a bit better at 2x the price. I really wanted to save the money and buy 208's, but the 228Be is a special speaker with stunning performance at the price level - IMO
Thanks for your measurement and subjective observations because tripitz's observations had given me some pause about the F228Be. As tripitz said, it does go to show how much differently speakers can sound in different rooms. They did sound impressive at the audio shows where I heard them.

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
What amplifier was used to drive the F228Be when you demo’d them? I’ve read they don’t do as well with certain class D amps. Mine were a little harsh until they had about 200 hours on them.
During the demo it was powered by a Krell Class A/B amp. I believe it was the model with ~250w. Interestingly, the 328 demo was also powered by a full Krell system. 0 issues this time around. I love the new speaker.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Thanks for your measurement and subjective observations because tripitz's observations had given me some pause about the F228Be. As tripitz said, it does go to show how much differently speakers can sound in different rooms. They did sound impressive at the audio shows where I heard them.
Marc, I've heard them in several different sized rooms and find them to be very room independent. I was stunned that they worked well in my small room, and my dealer says that the F228Be is the least susceptible to "room variations" of any speaker he has ever sold. As Kal pointed out in his Stereophile Review, the F228Be is very sensitive to what it is being fed by. The speaker is very revealing of changes in electronics, speaker wires and interconnects. So ... one needs to go into ownership of the F228Be understanding that it may ask you to make changes in one or all of the upstream components. The only things I've not found the need to change in my system since getting the F228Be are the speaker wires, the DAC, the digital cable, the TT, the cartridge. Everything else has been changed to gain "synergy" with these amazing speakers. But the effort has been well worth while as the F228Be is capable of both tremendous transparency and tremendous musicality and warmth. It is (to me) the best "value" on the market - capable of getting you very very close to the very best at a reasonable (by today's standards) price.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:48 PM

If cost is a consideration, you might also take a look (or listen) at Revel Studios. I have the original version, which has an aluminum tweeter (the 2 has a beryllium tweeter). Together with the Krell (Class A) amplifier and Transparent Super cables, I am very pleased with the sound. I am intending to upgrade my speaker cables soon, as mine are 15 years old and that should be the most inexpensive way to -- hopefully -- improve the sound further.

Main System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor; Wadia 8 CD transport and Digimaster DDC 2000 DAC (w/all updates); Theta Compli CD transport; Oppo UDP-203 disc player; Lumin T2 music server/DAC; Roon Nucleus+ core (w/Teddy Pardo LPS); SOTA Sapphire turntable (w/ Premier FT3 arm and Hana SL cartridge); SugarCube SC-2 non-destructive "click and pop" removal device; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; Magnum Dynalab MD-102 FM tuner (w/MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM antenna amplifier and ST-2 FM antenna); McIntosh MC 611 (3), Krell FPB 200C, and KAV-250a power amplifiers; Revel Ultima Studio (2 - L&R), Voice (1 - center), and Embrace (2 sides and 2 surrounds) speakers; SVS PB-16 Ultra (2) and 3000 Micro (2) powered subwoofers; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; various Kimber Kable, MIT, Shunyata, and WireWorld interconnects; Shunyata Denali 2000/T (2), Denali 6000/S, Hydra [original], Hydra 2, and Venom PS10 power conditioners; various Shunyata Delta, Venom, PowerSnake, and Sidewinder power cords, and Venom Defenders (2); Richard Gray's Power Company Substation and 400 Pro; Luxul AGS-1024 Ethernet switch; Sound Anchor amplifier stand; VTI (2) and Billy Bags (4) equipment racks.