AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-25-2021, 09:36 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
I notice that you are looking for a DAC only. But soon enough, with the excellent amplification and speakers you have, you may be wanting to consider a steamer as well. And probably need to spend more/less the same amount in another box. Maybe worth considering a good streaming DAC from the beginning?

An excellent unit that I have auditioned not too long ago is the Meitner MA3. It has the advantage of combining both the DAC and a streamer. Supports PCM to 32/384, DSD128, DXD and MQA. It's Roon ready and can function as Roon end point.

I auditioned it within a pretty resolving rig Gryphon Essence pre+power and Joseph Perspective2 Graphene. I had the opportunity on that same session to compare it to the Lampizator Baltic 3. To my initial disbelief since I also like things on the more "musical" side the Meitner had a presentation as natural as the Lampi, but was to my ears more transparent, yet in a fairly relaxed way. I had come to audition the Lampi but the Meitner left an even bigger impression on me.

Tambaqui Mola Mola - the other top DAC I’d like to audition.

Chord - if you prefer it on the warmer side I’m not sure this would be the best avenue for you?

Holo May / Denafrips Terminator - the sweethearts of 2020/21, loads of reviews and users’ feedback online.

And if you like it very musical the Aqua LaScala is probably another contender.

Good luck with your search, keep us posted!

Thanks.

My head is spinning-

I’m assuming I’ll end up with a new DAC, streamer, and preamp to complete my setup (for now).
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 11-25-2021, 11:13 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default DAC Time Again - - -- Help :)

As others have said, if you are thinking digital, you should consider more than the DAC. Your streamer, Ethernet chain etc.

For me, I found that a DAC that has an analog preamp volume control killed two birds with one stone. I knew I only wanted to stream from Qobuz and my NAS so a Bricasti M21 fit my needs with high quality SQ.

I also found having ‘adequate’ Ethernet cables, linear powered Streamer/network cards/switches and fiber optic breaks all add up to high quality SQ.

Put some energy into researching digital streaming and take your time finding what is right for you. The time you wait will pay off in not buying and selling multiple DACs/streamers in the months/years to come.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 11-25-2021, 11:20 PM
Racing Hoopties

I would also suggest you consider the new Esoteric N-05XD. It is a ROON ready DAC/PreAmp that performs at a high level. MSRP of $11,000.

I recently auditioned it and it is fantastic. Not enough to get me to switch from my Bricasti but it gives it a run for the money.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 11-25-2021, 11:28 PM

Hello Grasshopper - I saw you considered the Chord Dave - I would also suggest the Chord Qutest, possibly with the M-scaler. Rob Watts (designer) follows the original (landmark) Shannon theory of perfect digital reconstruction. Chord DACs perform with the very best.

Put a network bridge in front of the Chord (SoTM Neo is a good choice) and you have a streamer. Super easy - plug and play. Roon interfaces perfectly with this combo.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:06 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
It sure looks cool.

I like the idea of a tube DAC.

Have you heard the Lampizator head to head with dCS or the other “big” boys?
Yes. But I thought your budget was around $5K; that's specifically why I suggested the Baltic 3. As for the big boys, I know for a fact the Baltic 3 is fully competitive with DACs at multiples of its price becuase I have heard it in my own system compared to a Linn Klimax DSM/3, which sells for $39,000, because I reviewed the Linn Klimax DSM/3 for TAS.

And while it's cool that the Baltic 3 is a tube DAC, that is not principally why it sounds as superb as it does. It sounds this good because Lukasz and his team at Lampi spent months and months and months, every day, and every night, for over a year, exhaustively listening to every single part of the circuit, down to individual circuit components, e.g. an individual resistor, cap, transistor, etc. in virtually every single position in the entire circuit topology to find the specific, exact parts and components that made the Baltic 3 as superb as it is. Lukasz told me that a single transistor in the analog section of the DAC has notably more impact on the sound than what particular DAC chip was used for the D/A conversion. The Baltic 3 "project" was a major labor of love on their part. That's why it is as good as it is.

While the Linn has an excellent streamer functionality, AVR functionality, and the innovative and useful Space Optimisation feature, and a "decent" preamp section, comparing just the "DAC sections" head-to-head, IMHO, the Baltic 3 is as good as the Linn. That's how good it is, in my "core system"*. And having lived with both for...4 months. I'm specifically referring to my "core system" here because a friend has also loaned me his Constellation Inspiration integrated amp, which I've also been listening to of late (and which is superb, BTW).

The Holo May KT3 is really good, but personally I find it...musically "uninvolving". Much like a Soulution preamp. YMMV, but I have both here, and I spend my time listening to the Lampi Baltic 3.

If you have more funds for a DAC, I'd seriously look at the EMMLabs DA2, as well. It's really exceptional.

As for a streamer or network bridge, again depends on your budget. A number of really good ones available from about $1K to $4K. A good starting point would be the SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo or the Sonore OpticalRendu. If you can stretch to $4K, get the Auralic Aries G2. If you want the best streamer/server I've heard so far, get the Aurender N20 for $12K. I've had one on hand here for about 4 months for my next review, and it is unquestionably the best streamer I've personally heard, to date. It is also very, very well-made and incredibly easy to set up and use; it took me less than 10 minutes from taking it out of its box to have it streaming content. And it sounds absolutely fabulous, really exceptional.

What's also critical is the quality of the Ethernet and USB cables from Network-> Streamer and Streamer -> DAC, respectively. If it's in your budget...Shunyata Omega Ethernet & USB. If not...Shunyata Sigma Ethernet & USB. Or, a mix of the two. DO NOT skimp on these. They play a critical role in this application, more important than the quality of the interconnects.

*- Core system being: a fully dual-mono First Sound Presence Deluxe preamp with Paramount Special Edition upgrade with dual mono preamp external power supplies with ~300,000 uF power supply capacitance driving a C-J ART 150 amp, all powered by an Everest with Shunyata Sigma PCs and full Shunyata Alpha v2 or better signal and speaker cabling.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-26-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:56 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC @ $5k + Auralic Aries G2 streamer @ $4k

...or Meitner MA3 streaming DAC @ $9.5k MRSP?

Tough choices!

Enjoy the search!
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 11-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC @ $5k + Auralic Aries G2 streamer @ $4k

...or Meitner MA3 streaming DAC @ $9.5k MRSP?

Tough choices!

Enjoy the search!
Yep...the Meitner gear is a really excellent recommendation, too. I haven’t heard the MA3, specifically, but the DA2 is outstanding.

In fact, I’ve never heard a system using Meitner gear, even going back to Ray Kimber’s rooms at RMAF, back 10-12 years, that didn’t sound absolutely terrific.

That’s a great suggestion, the MA3, Joel, as well.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-26-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
What's also critical is the quality of the Ethernet and USB cables from Network-> Streamer and Streamer -> DAC, respectively. If it's in your budget...Shunyata Omega Ethernet & USB. If not...Shunyata Sigma Ethernet & USB. Or, a mix of the two. DO NOT skimp on these. They play a critical role in this application, more important than the quality of the interconnects.

*- Core system being: a fully dual-mono First Sound Presence Deluxe preamp with Paramount Special Edition upgrade with dual mono preamp external power supplies with ~300,000 uF power supply capacitance driving a C-J ART 150 amp, all powered by an Everest with Shunyata Sigma PCs and full Shunyata Alpha v2 or better signal and speaker cabling.
What about AES or S/PDIF from streamer to DAC?
Preamp: McIntosh C22 Mk V (Gold Lion Tubes)
DAC/CD/SACD: McIntosh MCD12000
Streaming Source: Aurender N10; UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch; AfterDark Project Clayx Giesemann OCXO 10MHz Reference Queen Master Clock w/ Black Modernize LPS x 2 Giesemann OCXO 10M Edition
Speakers: Canton Reference 3K
Power: 2x Dedicated 20 Amp Breakers + Whole House Surge Protection
Power Outlets: PS Audio Power Ports
Power Resonators: ADD-Powr Sorcer x4 (at service panel); ADD-Powr Wizard; ADD-Powr eau2; ADD-Powr Symphony (in network closet)
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta v2 XC (Denali v2 to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom NR v10 (Amp to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 NR (Preamp to Denali v2); Shunyata Alpha v2 NR (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Venom NR v12 (Wizard to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom V14 Digital (Streamer and Master Clock LPS to Denali v2)
Speaker Cables: Shunyata Sigma v1; Shunyata Sigma v1 Jumpers
Audio Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 XLR (Preamp to Amp); Wireworld Gold Eclipse 8 XLR (DAC Tube and Solid State Outputs to Preamp); Shunyata Sigma USB (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Sigma v2 AES/EBU (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Venom Ethernet (Wall Wart to EtherREGEN); Shunyata Sigma Ethernet (EtherREGEN to Streamer); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 75-Ohm BNC (AfterDark Queen Master Clock to EtherREGEN); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 S/PDIF (Streamer to DAC)
Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra SS (Under Speakers); Stillpoints Ultra Mini's (Under Preamp and DAC); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet and G-Links (Under Amp and Master Clock/LPS); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet (Under Streamer); Shunyata DarkField Suspension System and DarkField Mini Elevators (Under Speaker Cables); IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks (Under EtherREGEN)
Noise Reduction: HRS DPX-14545 Damping Plate (On Amp and Preamp); HRS DPII-14545 Damping Plate (On DAC)
Grounding: Shunyata Alpha v3 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (EtherREGEN to Denali v2)
Rack: Quadraspire SVT

Sun Room
Wireless Speaker: McIntosh RS200
Power Resonator: ADD-Powr Symphony Pro
Power Distribution: Shunyata Venom PS8 w/ Venom Defender
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta NR (Venom PS8 to Wall Outlet); Wireworld Silver Electra 7 (RS200 to Venom PS8)
Isolation: IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks
Rack: Pangea Audio Vulcan
Old 11-26-2021, 05:33 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
What about AES or S/PDIF from streamer to DAC?
Sure, if your streamer supports it, go for a Shunyata Omega or Sigma S/PDIF or AES, etc. My streamer only supports USB.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-26-2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:58 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

All-

I wholeheartedly appreciate your replies and wisdom.

Turns out I don’t know that much about digital. Seems like I need to go back to school and take some engineering courses or something to be able to understand what I need

In all seriousness looks like I need a DAC and streamer of some kind.

I don’t want to spend more than needed, but certainly want to get “most of the way there”.

For example, I just bought a 2011 911 turbo s convertible- I understand that the 2021 turbo s is technically faster, has newer tech, etc. if I bought based on specs and reviews alone, it would seem like, sure - go buy the brand new one.

I LOVE the 2011. Speed, power, etc. it gets me 90% of the way there, at less than 1/2 the price. It didn’t hurt that I actually prefer the smaller size of the 997.2 chassis (and in my humble opinion it is among the last of the true drivers cars, and is a future classic).

0-60mph In 3 seconds is exhilarating- and fast enough. I know there are a handful of cars that are “faster”, but after driving many - mine is “fast enough” and very visceral.

This is simply to illustrate my style.

When I look at dacs/streamers, etc. I want to get most of the way there, but am looking for a good seat of my pants visceral music experience.

If say a dCS Rossini gets me most of the way there (and has a built in streamer to boot) gets me to 90% of the Vivaldi stack…I’d be more than happy with a Rossini.

Likewise, if the Yggy less is more that I have on order is really close- I’d be happy there too.

The “best” from a few years ago is likely a major upgrade for me, and if I can find a demo or pre-owned kit, and save some that is my preference.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW