AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . .. An RCA Living Stereo LP Recorded in 1959 By Richard Mohr and Lewis Layton (The original "Dream Team")

Tchaikovsky - Capriccio Italien
Rimsky-Korsakov - Capriccio Espagnol

The RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra - Kiril Kondrashin, Conductor

A really good performance and incredible sonics - The Capriccio Italien is one of the most exciting and rousing pieces of music in the catalogue and this is one of the good readings of that work.

And this Capriccio Espagnol is no slouch either!

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 PM

Listening to Beethoven Symphony No. 5

Wiener Philharmonic Orchestra - Leonard Bernstein, Conductor

Perhaps not so good as Kleiber, but this one ain't bad. Very nicely played and Deutsche Grammophon does an excellent job of presenting the symphony in all its grandeur. Very dynamic, spacious sound. Excellent soundstage.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 AM

Listening to . . . The Virtuoso Romantic Oboe

Paul Dombrecht - Oboe
Jos van Immerseel - Piano

An Accent LP

Sonatas for oboe and piano by Schumann, Kalliwoda, and Pixis, all romantic composers from the mid 1800's.
Very well played and excellent sounding recording.
The oboe sounds quite real and in the room with you.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 AM

Listening to my favorite oboe recording by my favorite oboist - some of the most beautiful concertos (IMHO) ever written - especially the Marcello.

Heinz Holliger - Famous Oboe Concertos

A Philips LP

Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Yard work done, time to relax!
Cello Concerto's
Hayden
Boccherini
Janos Starker (RIP)
Philharmonia Orchestra
Giulini Cond.

Wonderful Record! Execution is top notch.

Regards,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4573.jpg (88.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Some late afternoon music:
Schumann
Symphony No. 2
Philharmonia Orchestra
Riccardo Muti conducting

Very nice presentation and recording
Angel S-37602 LP

Regards,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4576.jpg (89.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 PM

Listening to . . . An RCA Living Stereo LP - Recorded in 1958

THE SEA

Debussy - La Mer
Ibert - Ports of Call

Boston Symphony Orchestra - Charles Munch, Conductor

Once again, I am amazed by the sound quality on these old RCA Living Stereo, Shaded Dog, albums. Wonderful performances, extraordinary orchestras
and the quality of the recordings is unbelievable even by the best of today's standards.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

The follow up is very interesting:
Stravinsky
The Firebird Suite (1919)
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Carlo Maria Giulini Conducting
Angel Sonic Series SS-45003 (45RPM)
Very nice with great dynamics!
Regards,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4582.jpg (90.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Life is beautiful

CD 7
Dance
Two Pieces for flute and strings
Five Little Pieces for Small Orchestra
Sonata for String Orchestra
String Quartet

So far, this box has given me a lot of satisfaction!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 PM

Ravel: Bolero, La Valse, Rapsodie Espagnole, etc.
Detroit/Paray
Mercury

I really think this is an exceptional LP - an old "Golden Imports" record from Europe. The hiss is a bit noticeable in the soft passages, but it is more than made up for by the clarity of playing. The Detroit Symphony Orchestra under Paul Paray was reputed to be one of the best French orchestras ever, just not in France! While Bolero is fun (and on the fast side, not plodding like some), La Valse is really the highlight of this album, if you ask me. From a technical standpoint, the hiss and some bloating in the lower mid-bass take away from the recording, but the performance is expressive, the dynamic range close to being realistic for a modern full orchestra, and the pressing is dead quiet. And the music is just so much fun. I find myself playing this one, then flipping it over and playing it again.