Deutsche Grammaphon 2584 008 (1976)
Regards,
Jim

Old 10-23-2017, 07:12 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . . Mahler - Symphony No. 3

Budapest Festival Orchestra - Ivan Fischer, Conductor

In a word . . . . . WOW!

The first of Mahler's symphonies I ever heard, and the first that I owned on vinyl, was the glorious 3rd. - It was performed by the Concertgebouw Orchestra with Bernard Haitink conducting, with Maurine Forrester, Alto, giving a spectacular performance . . . and I do believe that this was the best I'd ever heard. Until this one arrived a couple of weeks ago.

Also, since I moved several months ago, my small collection of vinyl recordings (14,000 or so at last count) are taking up space in an air-conditioned storage locker - so I can't run and pull the earlier recording out to compare.

(Damn, I want a place to play my vinyl.)

But, this Mahler 3rd by the fabulous Budapest Festival and Ivan Fischer with Gerhild Romberger singing the alto part, along with two excellent choirs . . . is wonderful. and may well take the first place spot in my wretched and often completely misled opinion store, of Mahler Symphonies in my very limited knowledge of such things.

The Current Champ

The All Time Champion (only recently surpassed)

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-23-2017, 10:37 PM

Arrow Hérold: La Fille mal gardée

Nice to see you here, Julian.

While Julian enjoys a modern recording, I'm going back to 1962...

Hérold: La Fille mal gardée (highlights)
Orchestra of Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Lanchberry

This classic recording was recommended by The Absolute Sound in its 40th anniversary issue as one of the top 40 best sounding recordings.

Luckily it was just reissued by Analogue Productions as a remastered SACD and I just got it today. Never heard this music before and I agree with the TAS description as an exuberant ballet score, a 50-minute confection that keeps you smiling. The recorded sound is extremely vivid with dense instrumental timbre textures.

Besides its audiophile bonafides, this disc has musical merits as recommended by Gramophone...
Quote:
The Royal Ballet's La fille mal gardée remains a source of perpetual delight, not least for the music that John Lanchbery arranged largely from Hérold's patchwork score for the 1828 version. The Clog dance is the obvious highlight; but there are felicitous moments throughout, with snatches of Rossini, Donizetti et al cropping up all over the place.

This recording is the original one that Lanchbery conducted when the ballet proved such a success in the Royal Ballet's repertoire in 1960. He later recorded the score complete; and ballet lovers will consider this fuller version essential. However, others will find that the complete score rather outstays its welcome by comparison with this constantly uplifting selection. A most compelling recommendation.

Last edited by cma29; 10-24-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:36 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Nice to see you here, Julian.

While Julian enjoys a modern recording, I'm going back to 1962...

Hérold: La Fille mal gardée (highlights)
Orchestra of Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Lanchberry

This classic recording was recommended by The Absolute Sound in its 40th anniversary issue as one of the top 40 best sounding recordings.

Luckily it was just reissued by Analogue Productions as a remastered SACD and I just got it today. Never heard this music before and I agree with the TAS description as an exuberant ballet score, a 50-minute confection that keeps you smiling. The recorded sound is extremely vivid with dense instrumental timbre textures.

Besides its audiophile bonafides, this disc has musical merits as recommended by Gramophone...
--------------------------------------------------

One of my all-time favorite recordings. I think I bought 3 or 4 LPs of the thing, just to be sure I'd have a good one if the the others got scratched or something.

Unfortunately, the vinyl is in storage so I will order this SACD later today.

Thanks, Carlos, for the heads-up.

I am once again listening to lots of music while I'm recovering from my hip-replacement surgery a few days ago. I do plan to make my recuperation period last at least a couple more weeks.

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-24-2017, 02:37 PM

something different

Choir of the Intercession Cathedral Church in Grodno
Rejoice, O Indestructible Fortress and Stronghold of Orthodoxy

Release Date 1992
Duration01:12:14
Genre
Classical
Styles
Choral
Old 10-25-2017, 07:01 AM

Marek Janowski / Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra / MDR Leipzig Radio Chorus
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis

Release Date 2017
Duration01:13:00
Genre
Classical
Styles
Choral
Recording DateSeptember, 2016
Recording Location
Berlin Philharmonie
Old 10-25-2017, 10:54 AM

Paul Hillier / Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir
The Powers of Heaven: Orthodox Music of the 17th & 18th Centuries

Release Date September 8, 2003
Duration01:10:10
Genre
Classical
Styles
Choral

I had to give this another spin, I am enjoying it so much.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:23 PM

another new release in need of another listen

Roderick Williams / Christopher Yates
Howard Skempton: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner; Only the Sound Remains

Release Date April 21, 2017
Duration01:03:22
Genre
Classical
Styles
Vocal Music
Recording DateNovember 25, 2016
Recording Location
All Saints, Tooting, London
CBSO Centre, Birmingham
Old 10-26-2017, 04:40 AM
Life is beautiful

Chopin - Nocturnes
Maria João Pires, piano

I love these pieces so much.
Playing them into the waiting room for the moment.

We attended a full Chopin solo piano programme 2 weeks ago, with Rahman El Bacha.
He is a fantastic musician.
But... the crowd was coughing so much!
And I have sensitive ears: when hearing aids are not well adjusted, they start peeping at certain (especially) piano notes.
It was really disturbing, all those noises.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Dvorak: String Quartets Nos. 12 "American" & 14; 5 Bagatelles
Takács Quartet
Decca (1991)

A very nice recording of these pleasant pieces.

D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2