AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 11-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Listening to . . George Frederic Handel - Water Music, Music for the Royal Fireworks

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

Nice to listen to different groups playing your favorite music - Same music, treated a little differently, different pacing, different emphasis, slghtly different sound, different instruments, placed differently in the sound stage, different recording techniques, frequently makes the same old music sound, somehow, once again, new and different.

That is sorta my impression of this recording of music that I love and listen to often. This group - The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra is splendid - and I'm really enjoying the music made new and fresh.

And, much to my surprise, when I went looking for "cover art" I came across this Penguin Guide Review Rosette accolade which says exactly the same thing "It is like listening to this marvelous music for the very first time."

Highly Recommended by me!!!!

Yeah, this is good stuff by the "conductorless" ensemble.

I had the original release of this disc when it came out in the early 1990s. but I have a bad habit of "pruning" my collection once in a while and got rid of it. Now I wish I had it!
Old 11-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Default Haydn: London Symphonies

An oldie, but goodie...

Haydn: London Symphonies 93-104
Sir Colin Davis, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Here is unabashed big-band Haydn that found Davis and the great Dutch orchestra striking sparks off each other. The music has sparkle and the Haydn humor is sprinkled throughout. The recorded sound is excellent.

Last edited by cma29; 11-04-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 PM

Nice...have you heard Jaarvi conduct Massenet? excellent music and recording...also 19th Century French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
^^^^^^Wonderful photos Julian. I have seen these too in my childhood.

Listening to this:

Posted quite a lot here, so I decided to purchase this album, as I didn't own much of this French composer yet.
A lot of well known tunes on it. Well done. Sound and performance.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:25 PM

Default Beethoven: 'Hammerklavier'

Now...

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 29 in B-flat major, Op. 106 'Hammerklavier'
Paul Lewis (piano)

I'm playing disc 4 of 10 from the complete Paul Lewis set which includes the mighty 'Hammerklavier' sonata. I don't own much piano music, but I hear this set is one of the best modern versions. I like what I hear from this young British pianist and the reproduced piano sounds very natural in my listening room.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
Nice...have you heard Jaarvi conduct Massenet? excellent music and recording...also 19th Century French.
No.
Is it this one?
And is it any good?
Thank you!

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Mieczysław Weinberg - Complete String Quartets
Quatuor Danel

While preparing for the next seminar, listening to this newly acquired box.
I read a glowing review in Fanfare Magazine, and decided I "needed" this.
Very intense music. If you like Shostakovich's String Quartets, you will certainly like this too.
These is a lot of resemblance, but there are enough differences to make it a worthwhile journey to discover these chamber works.
Already at disc 4 now...

Weinberg had quite a life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mieczysław_Weinberg
Just listened to CD 6, which concludes the box.
Recommended if you care for 20th century chamber music with profoundly felt emotions.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 PM

This is one of my favorite recordings of the Cello Suites. Sadly, it seems to be out of print. Today, just the 2nd Suite. He plays with breath-taking beauty and passion. The recording is close, so it captures a few breath sounds, but it very clearly captures his huge sound.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . . Haydn - Concerti Per Violino, Sinfonia Concertante

Salvatore Accardo - Violin and Conductor
English Chamber Orchestra

A two LP box set by Philips

Lovely, dreamy music - most pleasant to accompany the morning's first cup of coffee. Beautifully played with excellent sound quality. Wish records had a "repeat" switch, I could listen to this all day.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 11-05-2014, 09:24 PM

This is a wonderful collection of contemporary Finnish works for cello and string orchestra. My favorite is Juha Kangas' Concerto, who is also the conductor. It's quite a challenging work for the soloist, as is the Sallinen, but Marko Ylönen copes very well. Superb recording.

Track listing:

Erkki Salmenhaara: Poema (1975)
Pehr Henrik Nordgren: HATE-LOVE, Op. 71 (1987)
Juho Kangas: Concerto for Cello and Strings (2010)
Aulis Sallinen: Chamber Music VIII, Op. 94 (2008-09)
Old 11-05-2014, 11:32 PM

Default Corelli: The Complete Concerti Grossi

I just got this today from Presto Classical...

Corelli: Concerti grossi, Op. 6 (12, complete)
Sinfonia, WoO 1, to the oratorio Santa Beatrice d'Este
Sonata a quattro in G minor, WoO 2
Amandine Beyer (violin)
Gli Incogniti

Like John said, this is a vigorous interpretation of the Concerti grossi. I like the energy of the ensemble and how Amandine Beyer handles the solo parts playing off the other soloists in playful manner. This is a good set and I'll enjoy it for many years to come, but I do have reservations on the recorded sound captured live at the Arsenal de Metz. I have a few recordings made there and they always sound a little diffuse to me. I prefer crisper sound for this kind of baroque music. So in my view the Avision Linn SACD release edges slightly ahead of the Gli Incognit set all factors considered.