AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 PM

I don’t have CLX’s but have Summit X’s paired with Pass Labs XA160.5’s and they do everything just right! I would definitely say world class reference performance.

Last edited by Audioseduction; 03-28-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Nice combination!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
I have lived with my CLXes now for over a year. I just got a Stage center to round things out. I have been tweaking my JL f113 sub to better integrate and I am currently seriously considering a second sub and electronic crossover.

As I was warned, one issue with the speakers is that they are particularly unforgiving. Poor recordings just sound terrible. But then great recordings yield some of the best sound I've heard anywhere -the part that I love. It is with what is in between that troubles me. The average recording tends to be on the bright side. This is also true of some television in surround as well. I actually turn down the treble to compensate occasionally. It is the one thing that troubles me about these speakers.

I have all McIntosh gear which is known for its tube-like smoothness and Harmonic Technology cables that are also considered to be on the warmer side. So it is the speakers that appear to be the source of this excessive brightness.

Have others experienced this with CLXes or other Martin Logan speakers? Any suggestions on how I might address this?

Thanks!
Why, if one is buying speakers in this price range, would you choose something that requires additional speakers and electronics to solve problems? The top of the line Sound Labs do all of this splendidly without additions! Additionally, less than stellar recordings are revealed, but can still be very enjoyable. Before choosing Sound Lab electrostatics, I auditioned many ML products, and passed. I simply do not understand the apparent lack of appreciation of SL "stats" by most AA members!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
Why, if one is buying speakers in this price range, would you choose something that requires additional speakers and electronics to solve problems? The top of the line Sound Labs do all of this splendidly without additions! Additionally, less than stellar recordings are revealed, but can still be very enjoyable. Before choosing Sound Lab electrostatics, I auditioned many ML products, and passed. I simply do not understand the apparent lack of appreciation of SL "stats" by most AA members!
In my case, finding Sound Lab speakers to audition is a chore.

As for requiring "additional speakers and electronics," the CLXs were designed and built to be used with ML subwoofers. The speakers/subwoofers combination is to be thought of as one system, as opposed to the subwoofers augmenting the speakers.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
In my case, finding Sound Lab speakers to audition is a chore.

As for requiring "additional speakers and electronics," the CLXs were designed and built to be used with ML subwoofers. The speakers/subwoofers combination is to be thought of as one system, as opposed to the subwoofers augmenting the speakers.
It may be "thought of as one system" like all ML hybrids, but you still have the problem of all hybrids- the impossibility of achieving the total coherence of ONE driver!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
It may be "thought of as one system" like all ML hybrids, but you still have the problem of all hybrids- the impossibility of achieving the total coherence of ONE driver!
No need to when the sound is right.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
No need to when the sound is right.
agreed Anthony, I also agree with Jeff (Tonepub)with regards to McIntosh / Logan synergy.

Having heard CLX's in Terry Menacker's (Overture) listening room being driven by various amps, Spectral and Pass both bested Mac IMO.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM

After acquiring my CLX's I moved from a Plinius SA_250 to Mcintosh 501's and initially enjoyed the perceived increase in resolving power. Subsequently I added 2 descenti subs and the clx crossovers and found something lacking. There was a bit of a brittle sound on the one hand and a lack of substance or drive on the other. I p[layed around with different cables and the output taps, but something eluded my expectations.

I then tried the Classe CA-600's in place of the 501's and everything settled down with a more airy top end, more substance in the mids, focused soundstaging (depth) and slightly better control in the bass panel bass (but that was marginal) and not the main area of improvement. I toyed with the idea of Mac 601's, but never tried them and settled on the Classe monoblocks instead.

Most interestingly, with the CA-600's and the CLX's, the small differences in my preamps (CP-600, C1000T, First Sound) are much more discernable than before and it helped me a lot decide which I preferred in the system.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioseduction View Post
I don’t have CLX’s but have Summit X’s paired with Pass Labs XA160.5’s and they do everything just right! I would definitely say world class reference performance.
I heard your speakers with a Burmester 082 and it sounded really good!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM

are the clx a major improvement over summit/vantage?
is the bass enough without subs for a small-ish room?