AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Moving Magnet Cartridge

I have been considering a new phono cartridge for my Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable with the M505 arm. I presently use a Shure V15VxMR with less than 100 hours on it. I like the V15VxMR very much. It offers a detailed sonic performance, natural to slightly warm presentation, tracks perfectly at 1 gram, and is fatigue free to listen to for hours. I have been fond of the Shure V15 cartridges since my first one back in 1967, the famous V15 type II. I have owned and enjoyed the V15 type III and the type IV, as well. My V15VxMR is nowhere near the end of its useful life, in fact it is still almost new since I don't spin a great deal of vinyl. One of the biggest problem of ownership is there are no replacement stylus available, none.

My thinking is that there have been some big improvements in both moving magnet and moving coil cartridge design and materials since my cartridge was engineered and manufactured. I can't help but wonder if I am missing out on improved vinyl performace by not using a more modern cartridge. I am not a big moving coil fan, and yes I have listen to quite a few, well up into the two thousabd dollar range with outboard phono stages. Both MM and MC camps have their promoters and adversaries. My preference is for moving magnet cartridges, and it is this area I am seeking advice.

I have narrowed my interest down to two cartridges, the Clearaudio Maestro, and the Ortofon 2M Black. I know we have several Clearaudio Maestro users, and I have read your comments on its performance. Has anyone used the new Ortofon 2M Black cartridge? It has some excellent reviews, and several turntable sales people I have spoken with have recommended the 2M Black highly. It features the nude Shibata diamond stylus. The Absolute Sound voted the Ortofon 2M Black the Product Of The Year in 2008, and HiFi World said the Ortofon 2M Black has to be one of the best moving magnet cartridges currently available. Some opinions from owners of either phono cartridge would be helpful.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-10-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Dan

some would say there has been no improvements

AudiogoN Forums: Who needs a MM cartridge type when we have MC?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 PM

I have no direct experience with the Ortofon cartridge. I have however have been accumulating very enjoyable hours on the Maestro Wood. I know Clearaudio invested much time into studying the groove walls of many, many LPs to come up with a stylus shape that is optimal, hence the "Trygon 2" stylus used on the Maestro Wood as well as their much more expensive cartridges. The Ortofon brand has been around for a long time and haven't exactly been asleep at the wheel all these years either. The "naked Shibata" stylus of the Ortofon also has its followers.

I really can't compare the Maestro to anything else directly, other than hearing other vinyl rigs in other systems with different cartridges. I'd say that overall and it is kind of hard to say for sure, the Maestro does not seem to excel at micro-dynamics as some MC variety of carts but not bad and it does do excellent macro-dynamics though. It has an overall tonal balance that tilts slightly to the warmer side of neutral and it is a well balanced cartridge and does all genres of music rather well. You can listen to wide variety of music with it and it simply chugs along pulling some seriously good music out of the grooves. I find it a bit more forgiving over all than many other cartridges I've heard and many think it is a great "rock" cartridge. I have to say that if one is looking for a more "universal" cartridge to do many things well, this is the one. It is also a fantastic tracker.

It is not a "technicolor" variety of carts, it does allow one to hear the difference in recording quality instantly but is a bit more forgiving on those lesser quality recordings. Overall I find the Maestro Wood to be very engaging, musical and enjoyable for very long listening sessions with a variety of music of various recording qualities.

It is not a cartridge which will dissect the music into little parts analyzing each aspect of it, instead it presents the listener with the "big picture" that comes across as a powerful and emotional swell of the "message" and "essence" of music buried in the grooves of a record. I really like it as my first cartridge.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Dan

some would say there has been no improvements

AudiogoN Forums: Who needs a MM cartridge type when we have MC?
What a long winded read. I've been a MC pickup guy for more than 25 years.
My current fav is the Lyra brand.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I also have and use a Signet TK9eA cartridge. Signet is no longer manufactured, but at the time (1980) the Signet TK9eA was the top of the line, completely hand built cartridge from parent company Audio-Technica. It is a wonderful sounding cartridge, as well, with a boron cantilever, and polished super eliptical diamond stylus. This cartridge has about 200 hours on it. My biggest concern with this cartridge is its age (29 years), and the possible condition of the cantilever suspension. I may be worrying over absolutely nothing because it tracks beautifully at 1.25 grams, and has a slightly better sound than the Shure V15VxMR, a bit more space around voices and instruments, and a wonderfully open top end. I am in the same boat with the Signet TK9eA as the Shure, no available stylus replacements. Needless to say, I exercise extreme care when handling both cartridges.

I found the link provided by turntable to the Agon forum post an interesting read. I tend to believe that cartridge headshells play a greater roll in the sound of a cartridge than is typically attributed to them. I found it intriguing that this individual went into that area, and had such experience with evaluating the same cartridge on many different headshells and arm combinations. It is clear he is commited to the experiments and resulting evaluations. His comments were enlightning.

I am still in the procrastinating mode. There are lots of things to think about, play with, and alternatives to try. Turntables, arms, and cartridges are such physical beasts, requiring lots of care and feeding. Fun stuff.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-10-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I also have and use a Signet TK9eA cartridge. Signet is no longer manufactured, but at the time (1980) the Signet TK9eA was the top of the line, completely hand built cartridge from parent company Audio-Technica. It is a wonderful sounding cartridge, as well, with a boron cantilever, and polished super eliptical diamond stylus. This cartridge has about 200 hours on it. My biggest concern with this cartridge is its age (29 years), and the possible condition of the cantilever suspension. I may be worrying over absolutely nothing because it tracks beautifully at 1.25 grams, and has a slightly better sound than the Shure V15VxMR, a bit more space around voices and instruments, and a wonderfully open top end. I am in the same boat with the Signet TK9eA as the Shure, no available stylus replacements. Needless to say, I exercise extreme care when handling both cartridges.

I found the link provided by turntable to the Agon forum post an interesting read. I tend to believe that cartridge headshells play a greater roll in the sound of a cartridge than is typically attributed to them. I found it intriguing that this individual went into that area, and had such experience with evaluating the same cartridge on many different headshells and arm combinations. It is clear he is commited to the experiments and resulting evaluations. His comments were enlightning.

I am still in the procrastinating mode. There are lots of things to think about, play with, and alternatives to try. Turntables, arms, and cartridges are such physical beasts, requiring lots of care and feeding. Fun stuff.
Does your tonearm have one those removable headshells? If so, you might want to consider getting a solid tonearm for better tracking. It all adds up to better sound in the end.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......Your assessment of the Clearaudio Meastro seems to be holding true to your initial impression after first setting it up and listening. Comments by Alberto paralleled yours, too. I look at this as a good thing. Sometimes, what starts out sounding impressive can turn south in a short period of time, leaving you wondering what happened. For me, the "message" and "essence" of music is what lights my fire. I don't want to just here playback, I want to be moved and excited by music. It certainly sounds as though the Clearaudio Meastro is doing that for you.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Greg.......The Micro Seiki M505 tonearm and milled solid aluminum headshell are a designed combination. I am not using a flimsy aftermarket head shell attached to an arm of this quality. The resonant frequency of the M505 arm with the headshell attached is excellent. This tonearm offers features that I have become accustomed to using, and would miss were they absent. The M505 arm can be adjusted on the fly while playing a record in these three important perimeters, tracking force, anti-skate force, and vertical tracking angle. When using multiple cartridges like I do, those features are valuable, especially while setting up the tonearm/cartridge and using test records. These three features are quite unique in tone arm design, even by todays standards. As for tracking, the M505 arm tracks beautifully.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Greg.......The Micro Seiki M505 tonearm and milled solid aluminum headshell are a designed combination. I am not using a flimsy aftermarket head shell attached to an arm of this quality. The resonant frequency of the M505 arm with the headshell attached is excellent. This tonearm offers features that I have become accustomed to using, and would miss were they absent. The M505 arm can be adjusted on the fly while playing a record in these three important perimeters, tracking force, anti-skate force, and vertical tracking angle. When using multiple cartridges like I do, those features are valuable, especially while setting up the tonearm/cartridge and using test records. These three features are quite unique in tone arm design, even by todays standards. As for tracking, the M505 arm tracks beautifully.
That's good Dan.
I never meant that your current headshell was one of those cheap universal headshells. If you're happy with your tonearm then focus on the pickup.
The downside of having a solid tonearm is that it must be removed to mount a pickup.
These days with all of the advances in vinyl playback, playing records have never been so exciting from a musical point of view.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Greg.......I didn't take your comment in a negative way, just letting you know what I am using. I run hot and cold with vinyl. I'll get in the mood to spin some records, then go two or three months without touching the turntable. I get far more pleasure listening to well produced CD's, and the convenience of CD's is undeniable. I have to agree with you that these are exciting time for all manner of audiophiles. It has never been better.