AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 02-20-2021, 02:16 PM

Default MT10 trade in?

My wife gave me the MT10 for Christmas. For no other reason than the look I’m most likely returning it. I’m not an audiophile, although I’m attempting to learn more. I like the look of the VPI avenger or Michell. Another store was showing me a SME that they said is rock solid. But because I know nothing about turntables I better find something that is easy to use and have little issues if that’s possible. Or a company that has great CS!

Suggestions on cartridges also as I’ve been told it will most likely not be included as it was with the MT10. I listen to rock, blues, and jazz mostly. Although I currently don’t own a mono cartridge, some of recent jazz purchases are in mono.

Should I stick with new? Look at places that put a warranty with a used TT? How about store demos? Looking at the used market there is a lot of savings to be had. I’m not opposed to adding a few dollars if necessary either.

It will be paired with the MA12000.

Appreciate any help!
Old 02-20-2021, 03:45 PM

Default MT10 trade in?

I own a Michell Engineering Orbe with a SME series V tonearm (the tonearm was bought 2nd hand). The combo offers great value for the money and confidently surpasses the MT10 performance. Setup does require some knowledge and skill, which I both lack, so my dealer did the honours.

A similar specced SME would be considerably more expensive. Unfortunately SME doesn’t market its tonearms as standalone products anymore. Only turntable + tonearm combo’s are offered.

I considered the MT10 at one time (when I enjoyed an all McIntosh system), but import duties and importer markups made it ridiculously expensive in Europe. The design has kind of grown on me and if ever a mint used specimen would show up....hmmmm...temptation.

If I understand your use case correctly, the MT10 ticks all the boxes as a no hassle turntable. There is something special about an all McIntosh system...the MA12000 has a moving coil input and IMHO the MT10 would make for a great match. Maybe consider giving this ugly duckling the time to grow into a soaring swan.

Whatever choice you make, enjoy the music in good health

Last edited by JemHadar; 02-20-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:57 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
I own a Michell Engineering Orbe with a SME series V tonearm (the tonearm was bought 2nd hand). The combo offers great value for the money and confidently surpasses the MT10 performance. Setup does require some knowledge and skill, which I both lack, so my dealer did the honours.

A similar specced SME would be considerably more expensive. Unfortunately SME doesn’t market its tonearms as standalone products anymore. Only turntable + tonearm combo’s are offered.

I considered the MT10 at one time (when I enjoyed an all McIntosh system), but import duties and importer markups made it ridiculously expensive in Europe. The design has kind of grown on me and if ever a mint used specimen would show up....hmmmm...temptation.

If I understand your use case correctly, the MT10 ticks all the boxes as a no hassle turntable. There is something special about an all McIntosh system...the MA12000 has a moving coil input and IMHO the MT10 would make great match. Maybe consider giving this ugly duckling the time to grow into a soaring swan.

Whatever choice you make, enjoy the music in good health

Good advice!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-20-2021, 05:28 PM

The reason my wife purchased the MT10 is because our AV gear is McIntosh and of course the salesman.

To be honest I did not expect to get a response like yours. All I have see is how McIntosh is a great amp manufacturer. They probably would of be better served sticking with the clear audio look.

Also, why would I stay with the MT10 when you stated yourself the Michell/SME is superior? Definitely looks better! Because of initial setup is difficult? There are SME 3009 III on the used market. Have not found V series.

One thing the MT 10 has that might not be available on the others is 78s. Some of the old jazz is on 78s. But I could avoid those if necessary.

This is a difficult hobby to navigate for the ignorant. Appreciate the input!
Old 02-20-2021, 05:29 PM
Retired

Based on your description of yourself and knowledge level, I would recommend the Technics 'Grand Class' SL-1200 turntable/tonearm system. It is direct-drive (something you generally have to pay many $thousands more for from VPI or others) and consistently receives excellent reviews, like this one from Michael Fremer, who is generally considered one of the best when it comes to analog.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content...200g-turntable
The Technics essentially takes no set-up and has the advantage of changeable headshells, which allows for easy changing of cartridges should you decide you might want a mono-cartridge or both an MM & MC cartridge, all of which your MA12000 can handle.
You've not mentioned a budget for either the TT/TA or cartridge. The Technics starts at about $1700 and goes up to about $18,000, depending on the model you select.
Same with cartridges. To my ears, good ones start arount $750 and go to well over $10,000. Some really excellent ones available all thru the range. Personally, I lean towards Ortofon as they provide excellent detail while not being 'etched' in their presentation. I'm very fond of the Cadenza Black and one can go up to the Winfeld or down to the Bronze for a bit more/less $$. But, there are a bunch of truly excellent carts all thru the price range. Even if you picked the one that "looks" best to your eye in the $2500 +/- $1000 range you would likely be very pleased with what you hear.
There is a great deal of information on analog set-up and use on the internet. Fremer's "Analog Planet" is one and the Vinyl Engine another. Don't need to get carried away to start. Just understanding the proper set-up and operation of a cartridge is an excellent beginning.

BTW - SME was sold to someone in India recently and is no longer offering tonearms separately from their turntables. If you find an SME tonearm it will either be used or leftover stock.

Also, where are you located? There are several folks around the country who would, on a fee basis, set up your TT and align the cartridge while teaching you the in's & out's of same (should you wish) while doing so. There may be one in your area of the world.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-20-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdermonkey View Post
Also, why would I stay with the MT10 when you stated yourself the Michell/SME is superior?

You have the MT10 right now to play with. See how this vinyl thing works out for you. Most importantly, you now have the opportunity to establish a baseline to which you can compare all others...

...and it was a gift from your wife...wow, that is priceless [emoji3]
Old 02-20-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Based on your description of yourself and knowledge level, I would recommend the Technics 'Grand Class' SL-1200 turntable/tonearm system. It is direct-drive (something you generally have to pay many $thousands more for from VPI or others) and consistently receives excellent reviews, like this one from Michael Fremer, who is generally considered one of the best when it comes to analog.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content...200g-turntable
The Technics essentially takes no set-up and has the advantage of changeable headshells, which allows for easy changing of cartridges should you decide you might want a mono-cartridge or both an MM & MC cartridge, all of which your MA12000 can handle.
You've not mentioned a budget for either the TT/TA or cartridge. The Technics starts at about $1700 and goes up to about $18,000, depending on the model you select.
Same with cartridges. To my ears, good ones start arount $750 and go to well over $10,000. Some really excellent ones available all thru the range. Personally, I lean towards Ortofon as they provide excellent detail while not being 'etched' in their presentation. I'm very fond of the Cadenza Black and one can go up to the Winfeld or down to the Bronze for a bit more/less $$. But, there are a bunch of truly excellent carts all thru the price range. Even if you picked the one that "looks" best to your eye in the $2500 +/- $1000 range you would likely be very pleased with what you hear.
There is a great deal of information on analog set-up and use on the internet. Fremer's "Analog Planet" is one and the Vinyl Engine another. Don't need to get carried away to start. Just understanding the proper set-up and operation of a cartridge is an excellent beginning.

BTW - SME was sold to someone in India recently and is no longer offering tonearms separately from their turntables. If you find an SME tonearm it will either be used or leftover stock.

Also, where are you located? There are several folks around the country who would, on a fee basis, set up your TT and align the cartridge while teaching you the in's & out's of same (should you wish) while doing so. There may be one in your area of the world.
Thanks for the link I will continue to read what Michael has to say. He did give the Technic good reviews but I seen where the Brinkmann was on his Gruvy Awrds. The Brinkmann was another that was recommended as well as the SME at the local shop.

I really appreciate the cartridge recommendations as well. That is very helpful to me.

I would like to stay around the price of the MT 10, 9k but would be willing to spend a few more thousand.

I’m located in Western Co, little town, Battement Mesa. I make the drive to Denver for all my gear. There are several install companies locally that serve Aspen. I would assume they could help but I haven’t pursued that avenue.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
You have the MT10 right now to play with. See how this vinyl thing works out for you. Most importantly, you now have the opportunity to establish a baseline to which you can compare all others...

...and it was a gift from your wife...wow, that is priceless [emoji3]
Thanks for the positive words! So often, including this, we tend not to appreciate what we have! But I still don’t like the look of it.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdermonkey View Post
Thanks for the link I will continue to read what Michael has to say. He did give the Technic good reviews but I seen where the Brinkmann was on his Gruvy Awrds. The Brinkmann was another that was recommended as well as the SME at the local shop.

I really appreciate the cartridge recommendations as well. That is very helpful to me.

I would like to stay around the price of the MT 10, 9k but would be willing to spend a few more thousand.

I’m located in Western Co, little town, Battement Mesa. I make the drive to Denver for all my gear. There are several install companies locally that serve Aspen. I would assume they could help but I haven’t pursued that avenue.

Hi there from Sunny Salida!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-20-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Hi there from Sunny Salida!
Salida is a great town! Can’t beat the weather and great wood fired pizza. I usually make it through that area a few times a year.