AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 10-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
None of the reference preamps have a phono preamp built in. The jack is just labeled as phono to aid with setup. The front panel displays phono. I think they abandoned that on the ref6, it just has balanced 1, etc, and SE 1, etc, and you can specify your own friendly name for the input on the front panel. I own one, just can't remember for sure.
Anything to confuse me. At least the OP knew it wasn't a phono pre.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 10-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
Mikado463, I wasn't clear. A 2 to 3K setup is entry level. Still it can be quite good. But if he likes vinyl and were to upgrade, you can put together an excellent analogue front end without breaking the bank. My analogue rig outperforms my ARC Ref CD7.
What would you say would be the cost to purchase your analog rig?
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 10-29-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
I am another in my mid 60's and started with vinyl, that was all there was. I usually preferred the sound of vinyl over digital. I had a decent analog set up but one thing that no one has mentioned is how easy to destroy an expensive cartridge. Having done that a few times for thousands each time I finally gave up and went all digital with streaming and Hi-Res. I didn't notice a streamer in your signature. Putting in something like an Aurender will easily compliment the system you already have even if it is only to demo music. Just my 2 cents.
I use a Linux based headless PC my son built for me that has 2TB of music ripped from SACD, DVD-A and cd, using Jriver. No streaming service as of yet...I looked into the Aurender N100H instead of going vinyl for almost the same price...

This is my second or third stab at trying to get into vinyl over the years, but to be honest, some people scared me off with all the doom and gloom of vinyl woes...some are in this thread...

Antonmb's Rega equipment suggestion is very nice...My dealer is an hour away...I will try to get an audition in the coming weeks when I can carve out some time for a road trip.. sometimes I think of getting a $300 TT and be done, but in my heart, I know I will not be satisfied...
Old 10-29-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
some people scared me off with all the doom and gloom of vinyl woes...some are in this thread...
Pete, my intentions were not to scare, rather point out what I consider valid arguments against. Listen, I have no intentions of giving up on my analog playback but after looking at the nice bit of 'kit' that you have assembled you do not want to do yourself an injustice.

Quote:
sometimes I think of getting a $300 TT and be done, but in my heart, I know I will not be satisfied...
not only your heart but your ears as well !

In the end, you have to decide and if you go for it there will be plenty of us here to help you along the way.

I'm sure Ivan will do his best to assist as well !
Old 10-29-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
What would you say would be the cost to purchase your analog rig?
Far less than you would think. I bought the whole thing on a whim. The table, arm and cart were a trade in at a local dealer. The dealer wanted to move it and offered it to me for at a price I couldn't refuse, less than half retail. I had bought a lot of stuff from that dealer in the past though. I didn't buy the Ref Phono 2se until last year. I bought that here from Tima.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Pete, my intentions were not to scare, rather point out what I consider valid arguments against. Listen, I have no intentions of giving up on my analog playback but after looking at the nice bit of 'kit' that you have assembled you do not want to do yourself an injustice.
I appreciate all of the opinions given, even the ones that include the reality of the perils of breaking something, not setting up properly, and the potential expensive rabbit hole I could find myself headed down...

You are correct that I do not want to do myself an injustice by buying gear that will not do the trick, and finding myself in a situation where after plunking down 3K, that I'll need 2 or 3 times that to satisfy me...

I will be checking with my dealer to hear some LPs....I am pretty certain that they have a similar equipment set up as my room, so I may get to hear vinyl through Revel Salons and ARC gear which should be close to my sound...I think that should help...

Thank you to all of you who are guiding me down this new path. Pete
Old 10-29-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
Far less than you would think. I bought the whole thing on a whim. The table, arm and cart were a trade in at a local dealer. The dealer wanted to move it and offered it to me for at a price I couldn't refuse, less than half retail. I had bought a lot of stuff from that dealer in the past though. I didn't buy the Ref Phono 2se until last year. I bought that here from Tima.
Funny, I was looking hard at Tima's Ref2SE last year, but I could not buy that and have any money for an appropriate turntable , so It would've sat... So that's the issue.... I'm sure I'd love a REF2SE and a 6-7K TT and cart system but that's a huge investment that 1) I cannot swing at this time, 2) that's a lot to spend on a guess that I'll like spinning vinyl and all that comes with the format, 3) which leads to the original question I posted, is whether a 3Kish system is a balance of $$ and sound quality that I could live with, while I cut my teeth in this new-to-me format!

Hopefully, I'll get a good demo in, maybe early November, to see where this all plays out...
Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM

Pete - enjoy the ride! Analog can be a lot of fun and you can get into a very satisfying rig for the price you’ve quoted.

One of my favorite turntables is a Rega Planar 3 with a Dynavector 17D3 cartridge on it. The cartridge cost way more than the table but the pair is still less than $2k.

There is tons of good advice on this thread. One thing I’ll emphasize is that buying gently used TT, arm and preamp provides a value multiplier that’s hard to beat. A lot of people trade up so gently used gear tends to be available.

I do buy cartridges new because they can be damaged by improper handling and not show any visible sign of abuse.

If you have a dealer nearby, lean on their expertise, especially if they can pull a package together for you and set it up properly. Setup is really important and there is no substitute for experience.

Happy hunting!
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-29-2018, 05:56 PM

I definitely recommend bringing vinyl into the mix.

I tend to go on streaks...........3 months or so all vinyl and buying new LPs..........then 3 months all digital.

Enjoy the music and have fun.

Ron

P.S. I really enjoy my Gold Note stuff.
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 10-29-2018, 06:34 PM

One of the problems is all the variables. You can't really demo a phono preamp without a table. And you can't demo a table without a phono preamp. And then there is the cart. Every dealer has different tables and preamps. It is very hard to make useful comparisons.

A few months ago I was taking down my system. We are in the middle of moving to Tampa. So anyway I was thinking of selling the Fosgate and decided to have another listen. It really is an excellent phono stage. Even with my Ref Phono 2se I still don't have the heart to sell it. After I had gotten my table I brought home every phono preamp I could borrow. The Fosgate Signature was by far my favorite. I couldn't afford an ARC Ref Phono at that point.