AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-02-2018, 03:14 AM
Puma Cat's Avatar
Puma Cat Puma Cat is offline
conrad-johnson, baby!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 10,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
I got it. Thanks Stephen.
Bob recommended to me a Sky 30 for the Vermillion.
I am confident it will sound absolutely fantastic. Bob knows his transformers! iMHO, the best value/performance for money on the market. And I am about 2-3 generations behind the latest and greatest. No complaints here; like I say, end game. No more money on audio equipment; with all due modesty, my system sounds superb.

My last upgrade were some Shunyata Venom speaker cables; which as you might expect, were absolutely terrific; what value for money Shunyata provides.

I am done...done, done, done with stereo gear.

The focus now is all on the music, which is as it should be.
__________________
First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 MkIII-Si-X Paramount Special Edition preamp, Conrad-Johnson LP70S amp, On-loan: Constellation Inspiration integrated amp, Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion w/ EAR324, Oppo BD-83SE, Sonore OpticalModule with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 power supply, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, SOtM UltraNeo with Keces P3 power supply, Shunyata Omega & Sigma Ethernet, Alpha USB digital cables, Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC, Mac Mini/Roon, Harbeth 30.2 or Dynaudio Contour S3.4 w/ Esotar 2 tweeters, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Alpha NRv2, Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, and Venom V14D power cords, Shunyata Everest 8000
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-02-2018, 03:22 AM
Jerome W's Avatar
Jerome W Jerome W is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I am confident it will sound absolutely fantastic. Bob knows his transformers! iMHO, the best value/performance for money on the market. And I am about 2-3 generations behind the latest and greatest. No complaints here; like I say, end game. No more money on audio equipment; with all due modesty, my system sounds superb.



My last upgrade were some Shunyata Venom speaker cables; which as you might expect, were absolutely terrific; what value for money Shunyata provides.



I am done...done, done, done with stereo gear.



The focus now is all on the music, which is as it should be.


Hi Stephen,

It is cool to feel this "end of the road" in audio gear and be focused only on enjoying the sound you have been looking for years.
You were right with the Vermillion. It is very precisely the kind of sound that I was craving for.
My Sky 30 should be here in 6 days.
I read Art Dudley's review and was impressed by the fact that it sounded larger than the mighty A23 Hommage. In my system the Hommage was great but I was getting to much gain with the MM stage of the Giscours. I appreciate Bob's products versatility and how he can recommend the right SUT for your cart and phono stage.
Again thanks a lot for your expertise and advices. They are truly awesome to my ears !
__________________
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats
Albert Schweitzer
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 AM
Puma Cat's Avatar
Puma Cat Puma Cat is offline
conrad-johnson, baby!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 10,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Hi Stephen,

It is cool to feel this "end of the road" in audio gear and be focused only on enjoying the sound you have been looking for years.
You were right with the Vermillion. It is very precisely the kind of sound that I was craving for.
My Sky 30 should be here in 6 days.
I read Art Dudley's review and was impressed by the fact that it sounded larger than the mighty A23 Hommage. In my system the Hommage was great but I was getting to much gain with the MM stage of the Giscours. I appreciate Bob's products versatility and how he can recommend the right SUT for your cart and phono stage.
Again thanks a lot for your expertise and advices. They are truly awesome to my ears !
Jerôme,
I heard the original blue Cinemag 1100-series of transformers when they debuted in Bob's SUTs back in 2013, if memory serves. They were an impressive step up ove the "red ones", particularly in "verisimilitude" and transparency over the "red" transformers that are used in mine. So my expection is the Sky 30 will be fantastic, and you are going to be VERY happy with this SUT and even more so with the Vermilion.

As I said before, I am very happy that you are so pleased with the Vermilion, it is really quite a special Koetsu and intensely musical without being syrupy or sweet.
__________________
First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 MkIII-Si-X Paramount Special Edition preamp, Conrad-Johnson LP70S amp, On-loan: Constellation Inspiration integrated amp, Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion w/ EAR324, Oppo BD-83SE, Sonore OpticalModule with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 power supply, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, SOtM UltraNeo with Keces P3 power supply, Shunyata Omega & Sigma Ethernet, Alpha USB digital cables, Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC, Mac Mini/Roon, Harbeth 30.2 or Dynaudio Contour S3.4 w/ Esotar 2 tweeters, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Alpha NRv2, Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, and Venom V14D power cords, Shunyata Everest 8000
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-02-2018, 06:51 AM
AudioGremlin AudioGremlin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Black Isle Scottish Highlands
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Honestly, its not worth the hassle, cost, or the bother to geek out over. These are first world problems, and one those "pick your battles" situations.

The system sounds bloody fantastic as it is...
Guess we'll agree to disagree [emoji5] After following a discussion on Steve Hoffman specifically about the SUT to pre cable I requested a sale-or-return on a 0.5m and 1.0m pair. I 'picked my battle' on the 0.5m, to my ears (no DBT) the shorter cable was significantly better in all respects. The concensus was on Hoffman that this particular cable application L, C & R must be very low as any small changes in measurement are critical and causes disproportionate effects.
I'm glad for you that you're happy but sadly my OCD geeky side wants to milk out the last ounce of performance as the cost imo demands it.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-02-2018, 10:46 AM
mulveling mulveling is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 582
Default

I agree; I'd compared 0.5m length of Audioquest Niagara to 1.0m AQ Sky and 1.0m AQ Fire on my Koetsu/1131 SUT. Here, the sonic differences between the Sky and Fire were wildly exaggerated from what they are when used as normal interconnects. The Fire was too forward and aggressive; the Sky too warm/wooly and sloppy in bass. Both of those 1.0 m cables are superior to the Niagara in normal circumstances. I'd expected to use the Fire on the SUT, but had to move it elsewhere and stick with the Niagara.

Later I got a custom 0.5m WEL Signature LP, and it killed all of the above cables.

Congrats on the Sky 30! It will sound amazing, but give it 20 hours of burn-in before it "wakes up". I preferred the 1131 to my brand new Sky 40 until the latter got several hours on it.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-02-2018, 01:42 PM
AudioNut's Avatar
AudioNut AudioNut is offline
World's Oldest Audiophile


 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tennessee, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,534
Default

Didn't know that Koetsu made Carts . . . I have an EZ Go myself - great cart - gets around the golf course 8 times between battery charges.





But I do have a KOETSU stereo CARTRIDGE . . . A Rosewood Signature Platinum . . . that i bought eleven (11) years ago and still going strong.



__________________
....



I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.


MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.


DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Jerome W's Avatar
Jerome W Jerome W is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Didn't know that Koetsu made Carts . . . I have an EZ Go myself - great cart - gets around the golf course 8 times between battery charges.














But I do have a KOETSU stereo CARTRIDGE . . . A Rosewood Signature Platinum . . . that i bought eleven (11) years ago and still going strong.










Good one Julian !
I will edit the title. Thanks.
__________________
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats
Albert Schweitzer
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-05-2018, 05:22 PM
Jerome W's Avatar
Jerome W Jerome W is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,240
Default

Hello folks,

Just a little thought to tell you that this Urushi Vermillion is massaging my heart and soul like never before. I am simply rediscovering HiFi like a 7 year old kid.
U N B E L I E V A B L E !
__________________
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats
Albert Schweitzer
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-05-2018, 06:03 PM
PHC1 PHC1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 23,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Hello folks,

Just a little thought to tell you that this Urushi Vermillion is massaging my heart and soul like never before. I am simply rediscovering HiFi like a 7 year old kid.
U N B E L I E V A B L E !
Jerome, very happy for you that you are enjoying it so much.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-06-2018, 12:43 AM
Jerome W's Avatar
Jerome W Jerome W is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jerome, very happy for you that you are enjoying it so much.


Thanks Serge !
__________________
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats
Albert Schweitzer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2022 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase