AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 01-17-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
Why would the MZX130 re-digitize the signal?
The MX 130 does not digitize the analog input signals unless the surround modes are active. In Pre/Pro dog years the MX 130 is long dead. But it has a nice tuner and solid analog preamp sections, even though the video and prologic surround stuff is lost in the mists of time.

More recent McIntosh Pre/Pros, like the MX 150, 160, 170 and the MX 121, 122, and 123 digitize ALL the analog inputs, even in "Pure Direct" modes.

What Kal was noting, with these processors, you might as well feed them a digital signal directly. Why?

Because the analog output of your DAC will get re-digitized with an A/D converter internal to the Pre/Pro, and then converted back into analog with a D/A converter internal to the Pre/Pro. Using the Pre/Pro's internal D/A converters directly eliminates two conversion steps.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-17-2022, 12:54 PM

So given that, my setup is correct for my vintage of equipment?
Old 01-17-2022, 01:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right section, but I am here now.

I am currently using my Mac Mini to stream music. Mostly Amazon Music and Spotify. I am thinking of upgrading to Amazon Music Unlimited which will give me HD and Ultra HD as well as a bigger catalog.

First question is about this service, as to how it compares to others (I like the price $7.99)

Secondly I am using a Schiit Modi 3+ DAC. Will this give me a good result or do I need to upgrade this as well?

I am going into a Mac MX130/MC7150/SF Chameleons

Keep in mind I have a very limited budget.

Thx
Rick
Your Schiit Modi3+ DAC is just fine as a DAC.

With respect to streaming music services, my recommendation would be to get Qobuz instead of Amazon. It's a few bucks more expensive per month but the audio quality is really excellent and it has a superb library of available content. As well as high-res content if that's important.

When you have the funds in your budget, I'd recommend installing a network bridge e.g. a Sonore microRendu between your Mac Mini and your Schiit Modi 3+DAC. It's about $399. Connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac Mini to your router, and then another Ethernet cable from your Router to the microRendu, and your USB cable from that to your DAC. It will make a BIG improvement in audio quality. If you don't have the budget for, consider using a Raspberry Pi 4. And you could easily build one with a touchscreen yourself. Here's an article on that:

https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/04...h-touchscreen/
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:18 PM

II have an issue with what you are suggesting. My Mac Mini and audio gear is in a different room in our house and running an ethernet cable from the router would be difficult.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I'd recommend installing a network bridge e.g. a Sonore microRendu between your Mac Mini and your Schiit Modi 3+DAC.
+1

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 01-17-2022, 03:08 PM

I’m running a very similar system, MacMini to Simaudio DAC to McIntosh C22 and it sounds excellent. But like others here have said, my service is from Qobuz and the quality is great. It’s my primary source now. Roon software along with an iPad are used to control it.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
II have an issue with what you are suggesting. My Mac Mini and audio gear is in a different room in our house and running an ethernet cable from the router would be difficult.
Easy...install a run of optical fiber. That's what I do. It's cheap, durable, and actually sounds better than copper Ethernet. If you want to know how to do this, let me know.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:59 PM

I will keep that in mind, but would have to hire it done, as I don't do ladders anymore.