AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Analog Pressings

Old 10-03-2018, 11:28 AM

For anywhere near $100 for a recording I’ll likely never experience it! I also agree with Dan in that I’m tired of seeing the same old albums in some new format. I’ll sit this one out.

George
Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Who's the market?
Show me the sales breakdown.......
It's easy for a select group of wealthy people to hoard the releases and up-sell at a premium.

Very sad.

Ron
I think you've answered the question. The market is the people who purchase the product. It would not seem they are targeting low income folks. What would the sales breakdown answer? They sell out. MoFI will keep raising prices until they don't sell out. I guess maybe I'm missing the point.

Is there data that the individuals purchasing these are wealthy people looking to "up-sell"? I would think the truly wealthy would not bother to endeavor in hoarding these releases and re-selling them. I am sure there are ways around the 2 album limit, but the time and effort required would not be worth the effort to someone who is "wealthy". Not even sure what that designation means.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 10-03-2018, 01:02 PM

One of the guys who bought Nightfly runs it on a relatively cheap ProJect 1Xp turntable.

Nowhere near what some guys here spend on a turntable. But the quality of that record on that relatively affordable system imho sounds superb. If you treat records as a source component, it doesn’t seem too expensive.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
One of the guys who bought Nightfly runs it on a relatively cheap ProJect 1Xp turntable.

Nowhere near what some guys here spend on a turntable. But the quality of that record on that relatively affordable system imho sounds superb. If you treat records as a source component, it doesn’t seem too expensive.
Yep........everyone spends and values money differently........that's what makes the world go round.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Who's the market?
Show me the sales breakdown.......
It's easy for a select group of wealthy people to hoard the releases and up-sell at a premium.

Very sad.

Ron
I honestly don't see a high percentage of re-sales at this point. I know I'm only one data point, but I've bought every one of the 1 steps so for and they are listened to regularly!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 10-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
I honestly don't see a high percentage of re-sales at this point. I know I'm only one data point, but I've bought every one of the 1 steps so for and they are listened to regularly!
I unfortunately missed the Santana release, but I am not willing to pay the price on the secondary market.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 PM

I like the idea of the technology and would love to give a disc or to a spin, but even in a format that is suppose to be better, most times comes down to the master(s) and the recording engineer.

Most time for example a sacd is much better than the similar redbook CD, but I have a few that SUCK!

I too am kinda a little lie Dan started out saying, i get sick of owning 12 copies of everything. I think if it was $49 I would bite
Old 10-19-2018, 07:44 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtroo View Post
I think you've answered the question. The market is the people who purchase the product. It would not seem they are targeting low income folks. What would the sales breakdown answer? They sell out. MoFI will keep raising prices until they don't sell out. I guess maybe I'm missing the point.

Is there data that the individuals purchasing these are wealthy people looking to "up-sell"? I would think the truly wealthy would not bother to endeavor in hoarding these releases and re-selling them. I am sure there are ways around the 2 album limit, but the time and effort required would not be worth the effort to someone who is "wealthy". Not even sure what that designation means.
+1............ indeed, your life would have to be incredibly boring to spend it purchasing new, high-$$ pressings and reselling at a profit in a very small market. These LPs are pretty much like the rest of our high-end gear. If you want them and can afford, its your choice. Like $4000 power cords.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 AM

I have to agree. While people may buy an extra copy for selling or gifting, they are don’t look at this as an investment strategy. I bought 2 copies of The Nightfly and ended up selling one to a friend after they sold out. I think I charged him $125. I won’t be retiring on that!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 10-19-2018, 10:40 AM

The site also has for preorder "Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood". I do not recall seeing that before.