AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 08-12-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson1952 View Post
Hi everyone,
I wanted to give you a quick update on my Heritage Specials. I received them about 8 weeks ago and have at least 200 hrs on them. I like to slowly break in equipment a little per day so I can fully hear the changes it goes thru. Right out the box they sounded pretty good. They never went thru unlistenable stages like some equipment I have broken in but slowly improved each week.
I just got thru listening to some Bach's Violin Concertos and was totally lost in the music. Nothing hash just beautiful music. So classical music sounds wonderful, Alison Krauss's voice sounds like a angel from heaven. Jazz and rock are served very well with the Hertiage Special's.

I have been setting up numerous systems over the past 40+ years ranging from very modest to some quite expensive systems. Currently I am using a $20k turntable setup and well matched tube equipment to drive the Heritages. My digital is a cheap cdp but sounds quite good.
In a nutshell Dynaudio has put together a very enjoyable speaker that fills my 14 × 18 room beautifully. The bass is full and tuneful and nerver lacking for my tastes. So yes Dynaudio has made a great monitor that I feel is worth the asking price em

and should serve me well for years to come. Just feed them well and enjoy.
Curious to know what tube amp or integrated you are using with your HS?
Old 08-14-2021, 08:00 PM

Default Have you listened to the new Heritage Special speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
@robfine
How large is your room?
Have you listened to Confidence 20's?

Copy/paste of my post from another forum - 3-4 weeks ago:

"Finally I got a chance to listen to the Heritage Special's for a few hours.

In short - they are very good speakers for smaller rooms, but pretty far from "Confidence killers" as someone could conclude from meny reviews and opinions online - both professional and user (on forums, FB groups...).

If you ask me - the difference in price is 100% justified.

They sound somewhat "lean" and unbalanced - to me. Yes, the bass is fast, controlled, precise, but it's missing both its body and the texture and that appears to affect the whole frequency range - from the bottom to the top. In some moments during the listening of double bass (e.g. "Ray Brown, John Clayton, Christian McBride - SuperBass" or "The Ray Brown Trio - Summer Wind: Live at the Loa" albums) I got the feeling almost like I was listening to the strings without a wooden body. The resolution is there, the details are there, but the full "body" of a sound is partially missing. And that is not how I felt only for instruments which play (very) low tones - it's pretty similar with other instruments. They are pretty well positioned in the space (although the soundstage depth could be somewhat better), but they are smaller in volume than they should be.

Just to add, that this exact description can be "attached" to many high quaity bookshelf speakes - that is something that I'm missing in sound when I'm listening to them. With Confidence 20's and also Contour 20's I don't have this issue. Of course, Contour 20's have their own drawbacks compared with both Conficence and Heritege, but if you ask me to choose between Heritage and Contour 20 - it's a tough task. Maaaaybe I'm closer to Heritage, because they really have significantly better resolution and transparency, but I wouldn't be too happy. With Confidence 20's - yes, I would be missing my Confidence 50's a lot and also my subs - but I'm sure that after some time I could adapt to their sound and to be pretty happy with them.

Of course, YMMV.

Just to add that the "test" system is pretty decent
Simaudio MOON P-8 preamp
Simaudio MOON W-7M amps
Simaudio MOON 780D v2 DAC / streamer
Métronome DSS streamer
Métronome Le Player 3 CD transport"

I’m not quite sure how to respond to your post because I’m not quite sure what you intended with your post. It’s really not in the nature of what is typically seen here ion AA. If you heard a particular pair of speakers, in this case, Dyn Heritage Specials, and wanted to discuss your observations and experience, good or bad, whatever they may be… more power to you. But that’s not really what you did. You addressed me, asked me about my room size, and asked me if I had listened to the Confidence 20’s. And then, for whatever reason, for whatever internal need in you that needed satisfying, and in so doing you couldn’t even make your comments in first person instead hiding behind the “copy paste from a forum 3-4 weeks ago” and pretty much proceeded to make an unsolicited attack on the speakers I bought and “my experience” with them as I described in this forum. I don’t understand what I wrote in my description of my speakers and experience that would warrant a comment to the effect that they are not “Confidence Killers”. I don’t believe I mentioned the word Confidence once in my posting. You then proceeded to say: “if you ask me, the price difference is 100% justified”. Again, you addressed your post directly to me. I didn’t ask you and I didn’t care when I got them nor do I care now.

I’m not going to waste time on the details of your review because they are not really relevant to me, the person you addressed your comment to, in part for the reasons included in my wrapping up thoughts. You mention that the “test system is pretty decent ”. I got nothing bad to say about Simaudio equipment in general. I’m guessing your making the point that the “test system” , at about 5x the cost of mine I’m guessing is superior to mine justifying your comments as being somehow more “correct” than what I am experiencing. Well, Simaudio Moon is great equipment. Great solid state equipment. I have tube-based amplification. Simaudio is a great DAC. But it is not an R-2R based DAC. Regardless of cost or anything else, fundamentally different operating equipment will cause the same speakers to sound different. So here is my one critique of Simaudio equipment. For whatever reason, for how much you spent — way more than I spent on mine, it apparently lacks the ability to make you happy. No one who has that level of equipment and it is part of a system that can really take advantage of that investment and quality would bother to take the time to write a personal attack/critique of someone he doesn’t even know if he was happy. The only reason I can think of is that I am happy with what I have and said so and why. Nothing you have said indicates that with all that wonderful Simaudio equipment that it brings you any pleasure. My god, you can buy 4 of my speakers or more for the cost of any one of those several components you mentioned in that pretty decent “test system”. Maybe you have a system match problem just looking at cost alone. Maybe the TAD Compact Reference Ones are a more appropriate match for the “test system”. I’ve heard them and they do sound better than my Heritage Specials. Tell you what- you get the TADs, I’ll keep my Dyns. Hopefully you’ll be happier and maybe get a chance to really read the posts on AA and see that the people who frequent this forum show a level of courtesy and respect to each other that you couldn’t manage in your post addressed to me. I harbor no ill-will toward your notwithstanding your post. It’s not worth the energy. But let me say this, instead of taking out whatever frustrations you have with your very costly and very nice system for not bringing you the happiness my much less costly system brings me, on me and others, maybe stick around a bit (but keep the kinds of comments you tossed at me to yourself). There are a lot of really nice people who are really knowledgeable with systems ranging from barely hitting 4 figures to those into 7 figures— and as a rule they would be more than happy to help you with suggestions to help get that lovely Simaudio equipment you say you have to sound in a way that will make you happy. And then your posts will be much more appropriate for AA.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.

Last edited by robfine; 08-14-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:56 PM

Well done rob. Don’t know where he was coming from with that. Enjoy the new speakers!
Old 08-14-2021, 09:16 PM

Hey Rob - enjoyed your review/opinions of the Heritage specials. It certainly seems Delija formed a different (subjective) opinion. Seems like a perfect case of 'one man's meate is another man's poyson' - an olde English expression - opinions vary.

As an impartial reader, I did not get the sense that Delija was disparaging the Heritages, just voicing his opinion. In fact he had many positives and really only one negative. If Delija expected the Hertigage's to match a full range floor stander, than that was unfair - but I did not get that sense.

yet another opinion -
enjoy the speakers!!
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:36 PM

@robfine
I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings.
That was not my intention.

I'm just somewhat confused with so much praise about Heritage which was not there for new Confidence line when it was launched on the market and still there in no much praise for them. And yes, pretty often people say (write) they are better than Confidence 20's, especially in Dynaudio FB groups.

Based on all that - I had pretty high expectations. I've waited for months for my dealer to get them. Basically my idea was to form one more system based on them in somewhat smaller room, but not too small. I didn't have a chance to try them in this room because they were already sold in advance - I was pretty lucky to hear them at dealer's place.

I was not provoking you - I really want to know whether you had a chance to compare them with Confidence 20's and I'm also curious about the size of your room, because smaller room can make a difference in aspects I 've described. And there is always subjective part - what we want from our system.

Last edited by Delija; 08-14-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:13 PM

Beatlebum,
I am using two tube amps. A 100 watt amp snd a push/pull 15 watts mono block 2a3 amp. Both sound wonderfully musical in my room. If I was to choose one the 2a3 just sounds so good. The Hertiage doesn't need a powerful ss amp to work. Both my tube amps are sublime.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:17 PM

Mine finally arrived yesterday. Hooked up to my Yggy/C22/MC275 VI they are presently making some remarkably beautiful music in my small room. I view them as a solid upgrade over the Special 40s and Harbeth M30.1s I've had in this system up til now.

Technically superb, musically mesmerizing, beautifully made. Outside of the price and the ultimate bass extension not much to quibble with, IMO.

I have also owned the C20 and Special 24, although that was years ago and with quite different source and amplification. All three are fine exemplars of the best of the Dynaudio house sound, but the Heritage Specials do the best disappearing act of the three, and seem the least fussy about positioning. So far.

Last edited by scapa; 09-22-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:19 AM

I'm using with a Jadis Orch Black 40w a/b tube. I just received last week but sounds great so far.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:10 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

coz… Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-10-2021, 12:17 PM

Sorry that I disappeared from this string for a bit. Big things at work overtook else for a spell. I did not talk about any comparisons to the C20s because I never compared them head to head. These are limited addition and I had an opportunity to hear them in my room with my equipment and they never left. I did listen to the Harbeth 30.1 but not in the same room or with the same equipment. These are really beautiful. Sounding speakers. They have their limitations of course, especially low base extension, but on test recordings I can hear tones down close to 40 hz which I find pretty amazing considering their size. They are very resolving but not punishingly so but they are incredibly musical. If I try to have a session to analyze them I usually quickly forget what I was doing and get lost in the music. The Specials, in my room and with my equipment (which I am very proud of and pleased with but would not be considered to be at the high, high end (high-end, definitely yes)) have that great ability to fairly often “transport the listener” out of the room and to where music is being made. While it’s been a long time back, I recall similarities to my Quad EL 63s, super quick, but still warm- and very realistic and… with that transporting ability. For similar equipment to mine and similar room, I would highly recommend them.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.