Originally Posted by bart View Post
Tim Langedijk Trio - Some Other Time
Qobuz 24/96

Short but good.
Terrific sound (very deep bass notes!).
Guitar, bass and drums.
Excellent

I also enjoyed their first album, released in 2014

Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 07-17-2021, 03:13 PM
Life is beautiful

Miles in Berlin
via Qobuz

Pretty good live recording.
Miles just before his fruitful second great quintet period.

Recorded live in Germany at the Berlin Philharmonic, Miles in Berlin represents the first recording of trumpeter Miles Davis with tenor saxophonist Wayne Shorter. For various reasons, saxophonists George Coleman and Sam Rivers had both come and gone as members of Davis' band. With the addition of Shorter in 1964, Davis had found the lineup of musicians that he would stick with until 1968 and produce some of the most influential albums of his career -- collected on The Miles Davis Quintet, 1965-68: The Complete Columbia Studio. Eventually known as the "second great quintet," most of the players here, including pianist Herbie Hancock, bassist Ron Carter, and drummer Tony Williams, had been with Davis for just under a year. In that time, they had taken his traditional repertoire of standards and originals and reworked them with a more adventurous, edgy approach that flirted with the avant-garde. While there isn't a huge difference in the sound of this band or choice of songs from the group that recorded Seven Steps to Heaven or Miles Davis in Europe, there is a palpable sense of creative abandon in Davis' performance as well as synergy to the group sound that seems to foreshadow the innovative music to come.

© Matt Collar /TiVo
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-17-2021, 03:19 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Excellent

I also enjoyed their first album, released in 2014

Joel, I didn't find it on Qobuz.
Is it on Tidal maybe?
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-17-2021, 03:28 PM
Life is beautiful

Shirley Horn - You Won't Forget Me
via Qobuz

With a brilliant Toots Thielemans, Miles Davis and Wynton and Branford Marsalis!

With 1991's You Won't Forget Me, Shirley Horn's star continued to rise. While mostly ballads, this recording also includes swinging takes on "I Just Found Out About Love" and "Foolin' Myself." Toots Thielemans stars with his distinctive harmonica sound on "Beautiful Love" and "Soothe Me," and the unmistakable trumpet of Miles Davis weaves around Horn's vocal on the title track. The opening medley moves from the almost-whispered ballad "The Music That Makes Me Dance," to a funkily midtempo "Come Dance with Me." "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" is absolutely gorgeous, with Wynton Marsalis stepping in to trade phrases with Horn's voice. The music here is mostly taken at a very leisurely tempo, and the spare arrangements allow plenty of room for the music to breathe, proving that less is often more. The only complaint is that such spaciousness generates is a certain sameness to the material, but this is leavened by the guest appearances of Thielemans, Davis, the brothers Marsalis, and tenorman Buck Hill.

© Jim Newsom /TiVo
Old 07-17-2021, 04:15 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Joel, I didn't find it on Qobuz.
Is it on Tidal maybe?
Correct, one of those very occasional times where we can notice that the Tidal catalogue is slightly bigger than the Qobuz one...
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 07-17-2021, 04:16 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Shirley Horn - You Won't Forget Me
via Qobuz

With a brilliant Toots Thielemans, Miles Davis and Wynton and Branford Marsalis!

With 1991's You Won't Forget Me, Shirley Horn's star continued to rise. While mostly ballads, this recording also includes swinging takes on "I Just Found Out About Love" and "Foolin' Myself." Toots Thielemans stars with his distinctive harmonica sound on "Beautiful Love" and "Soothe Me," and the unmistakable trumpet of Miles Davis weaves around Horn's vocal on the title track. The opening medley moves from the almost-whispered ballad "The Music That Makes Me Dance," to a funkily midtempo "Come Dance with Me." "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" is absolutely gorgeous, with Wynton Marsalis stepping in to trade phrases with Horn's voice. The music here is mostly taken at a very leisurely tempo, and the spare arrangements allow plenty of room for the music to breathe, proving that less is often more. The only complaint is that such spaciousness generates is a certain sameness to the material, but this is leavened by the guest appearances of Thielemans, Davis, the brothers Marsalis, and tenorman Buck Hill.

© Jim Newsom /TiVo
Bart, we are both pretty fond of Shirley Horn
Old 07-17-2021, 04:45 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Bart, we are both pretty fond of Shirley Horn

She was so great...
Old 07-17-2021, 04:47 PM
Life is beautiful

Tim Langedijk Trio - Up North
via Qobuz

Same good sound, but I prefer their newer album, posted above.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:41 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Kristjan Randalu - Ben Monder - Markku Ounaskari - Absence
Qobuz 24/88.2

Good album.
Has a dreamy quality but at the same time enough bite to keep things interesting.

For his debut on the ECM label, Estonian pianist Kristjan Randalu surrounded himself with American guitarist Ben Monder and Finnish drummer Markku Ounaskari. A combination suggested by Manfred Eicher, the producer of this album recorded at La Buissonne in the summer of 2017. Absence is first and foremost a beautiful introduction to the ample and rather lyrical style of play of the musician who says he’s been most influenced by his fellow countrymen and composers Erkki-Sven Tüür and Tõnu Kõrvits. A former student of John Taylor and Django Bates, Randalu studied classical music for a long time before turning his attention to jazz. A knowledge that transpires in his piano as well as his writing. His impressive technique and the narrative power of his improvisations give his musical universe a multitude of colours. A palette that Ben Monder – a very much-underrated guitarist – and Markku Ounaskari take hold of in unison. © Max Dembo/Qobuz

Revisiting this album.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:14 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Ella and Oscar
via Tidal

Ella with Oscar Peterson (and some pieces with the great Ray Brown).
What else can one wish for...

Oscar Peterson's own favourite album.
I can tell why.